• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly Day (1 Viewer)

cjay

Today seems to be the big day for Butterfly emergence.
Two of our hibernating species in Sufffolk were abroad today. Up to six Small tortoiseshells were seen in the Lowestoft District & two Peacocks. The temperature today is 10c with a light north wind & blue skies

CJ

Butterflies are moving now but I had one in January on a sun soaked pub wall in Exminster marshes. Saw a few today and I am looking forward to plenty more and some good photo opportunities too.

If it is small , red & tattered I would say small tortoiseshell.

overwintering butterflies always look scruffy.

CJ

seb_seb said:
ive had small red butterfly with ripped/torn appearance..anyone know it?
Hello Seb,
It might just be possible that you may also have seen a Comma butterfly. Have a look at pictures of both Small Tortoiseshell and Comma, that should settle it.

Harry Eales.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back