• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

jessops major carbon fibre tripod. taking a chance. (1 Viewer)

stuart C smith

swansong
i have just picked up a jessops major carbon fibre tripod in new condition from a well known internet auction site - for just £60.00. i am well pleased and see no problems that i think cannot be resolved i.e. leg clamps they just need fine tuning for the correct tension and seem strong enough . the head for the moment will be ok. time will tell. the so called screw /wire in the q.r. plate, that, i removed and replaced with an improved screw from an old q.r. plate. so she is up and running and will do me nicely. stuart.

Last edited:
i have just picked up a jessops major carbon fibre tripod in new condition from a well known internet auction site - for just £60.00. i am well pleased and see no problems that i think cannot be resolved i.e. leg clamps they just need fine tuning for the correct tension and seem strong enough . the head for the moment will be ok. time will tell. the so called screw /wire in the q.r. plate, that, i removed and replaced with an improved screw from an old q.r. plate. so she is up and running and will do me nicely. stuart.

Jessops replaced mine today, due to a cracked leg clamp (it still actually worked), apart from my worry about it happening again, I love this tripod. Very light and, considering the weight, very stable. Anyone buying one, please note that the top plate is reversible, so you can fit heads with a Manfrotto type thread or the smaller sized used by others. I wished I'd realised this earlier. I bought a Manfrotto ball head, for use with my Nikon Ed50 when travelling, I already had a Benbo one I could have used if I'd known :C

Jessops replaced mine today, due to a cracked leg clamp (it still actually worked), apart from my worry about it happening again, I love this tripod. Very light and, considering the weight, very stable. Anyone buying one, please note that the top plate is reversible, so you can fit heads with a Manfrotto type thread or the smaller sized used by others. I wished I'd realised this earlier. I bought a Manfrotto ball head, for use with my Nikon Ed50 when travelling, I already had a Benbo one I could have used if I'd known :C

hi steve, i have now replaced the supplied head with a velbon 157q and the all up weight is now 1.82 kg, the velbon 157q i had knocking about and it is a mega improvement on the supplied head. i may settle for this combo. regards stuart.

Last edited:
hi steve, i have now replaced the supplied head with a velbon 157q and the all up weight is now 1.82 kg, the velbon 157q i had knocking about and it is a mega improvement on the supplied head. i may settle for this combo. regards stuart.

I use a Manfrotto 701RC for general use and bought the Manfrotto ball head for when I want it to be ultra light for travel. The supplied head is pretty crap for birding.

Kevin

Of tripod as a whole or clamps? Happy to do so if it'd help, but could you get this tripod in the States?

The tripod. Mostly the construction details: spider; leg clamps; CF leg tube. That sort of thing.

Currently it's not here but I presume some place in China is making them and it's just a matter of time before they appear here. So your photos would be a sort of "field guide to the Jessop's tripod" for early adopters.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back