• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

14 New Species (1 Viewer)

Stonechat2

Tooty Fruity Member
Today, me, reader and monkeyman went to Sandwell Valley park farm. We were wondering through the woods with Great tits and Blue tits literally metres away from us, i've never got that close to them before so i was quite stunned but more drama was still to come, Monkeyman held out his hand and what do you know, out comes a nuthatch, flies onto his hand and starts eating. After seeing this i very much so wanted to do it as well. Reader gave me some seed and i held out my hand, it wouldn't come t first and was quite weary of me. After 10 minutes of patiently standind there he came, i was quite stunned because i had only seen my first Nuthatch 2 days previous and now i had one feeding of my hand.
We then continued on further up the track to have a look at the Heronry, we wern't to dissapointed, they were giving us great views and this is also where i saw my first Tufted duck,their great little birds. While reader was digiscoping the herons me and monkeyman went to see if we coul dsee the green woodpecker which had been laugthing away. We didn't see the green woodpecker but we did see three great spotted woodpeckers and a sparrowhawk being mobbed by crows. As we watched this happening 2 sparrowhawks came crashing throught the bushes 5 metre infront of us. We suspect it was a male and female. On the way back we saw another first for me, a Stockdov,e again i was very pleased at seing another first.
We then travelled back to the car and visited the rspb resereve(Sandwell Valley). This was fantastic, i saw my first Bullfinch and Reed bunting at the feeder there. We then walked around the one side and i saw my first Teal, Shoveler, Lapwing, Lesser black backed Gull, Gadwall, Little Grebe and Greylag goose. We then walked around the other side of the reserve and we saw my first Meadow Pipit, Willow Warbler and Godeneye. What a great place to visit.
We then went to a lane wher litlle owls hang out, sadfully we didn't see them but there will be plenty more opportunities to see them. We then visited a local pond and saw alot of wildfowl, all of the common erspecies though. We shooted from there after about ten minutes and visited some lime pits near by, i can't remember the name though. There we saw our first Buzzard of the day, it was soaring in the loveley weather wev'e been lucky to have today. We then continued and saw another Sparrowhawk flying around. We were hoping to see my first King fisher but we didn't, the illusive bird had evaded us. At this time it was early afternoon and the birds ciesta was coming into full swing. So we decided to call it a day and head off home for a nice cuppa.
Monkeyman and reader, thanks for takig me out!!!

Attachments

• herons-in-trees.jpg
    herons-in-trees.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 151
  • heron-on-tree.jpg
    heron-on-tree.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Stevens-nuthatch.jpg
    Stevens-nuthatch.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 113
  • tufties.jpg
    tufties.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 109
At which part was the meadow pipit, Stonechat? Ive never seen one at Sandwell Valley! Sounded like a great day btw :)

If you carry on walking past the visiter centre, the first screen you come to. If you look through the screen, half way between the screen and the lake there is a dead stump which it landed on and then flew off after about 5 seconds.

After reading your comment in the 'kids asking questions' thread I'm thrilled to read this report.
Keep enjoying it

Best wishes
Jen :)

Carlo said:
That must of been a great day !
Hi Carlo,

May I wish you a warm welcome to Birdforum on behalf of all the Admin, Staff and Moderators. I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Why don't you post something about yourself in "Say Hello" so we can get to know you.

Glad you enjoyed your day out. I'm also glad that the Nuthatch did what i said it would do.

I look forward to seeing what birds you can add to your British list from now on plus all those lovely birds in Portugal.

We will take you out again in about a couple of months time. By then all the migrants should be in and you could get to see some excellent birds.

I have attached one of the shots I was taking of the Heron for you to look at.

After I left you I went to another reserve near to Birmingham airport and i will send you some photos I took there via your private e-mail.

Good luck and good birding.

Attachments

• Grey Heron 0923.jpg
    Grey Heron 0923.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 91
You've got it in one, Dave: one of the original objectives of BF was to bring birders of all ages and all experiences together to share this wonderful hobby/obsession/vocation!

I can certainly recommend any "experienced" birder taking out a "novice" . . . it shakes off any complacency you may have acquired over the years when you are constantly bombarded with questions about calls, visual id and "what's this feather from?" It was great fun and really blew a few cobwebs away!

A good and accurate report, Steven. I'm really glad you enjoyed it!

Al

Spot on Al. It also gave you a good feeling watching a novice really enjoy watching even the common birds. It really brought it home to me when I pointed out the Tufted Ducks only to be told "that's another lifer".

If only some of the more experienced birders could take a young novice out every so often I think they would get a buzz out of it. The upside of that is the knowledge that you may have helped that person seek a pastime other than dropping out of society because they are "bored".

Just wanted to congratulate Reader and Monkeyman for taking the young Stonechat out - if a few more birders could do this then there would be a lot more youngsters entering and being enthusiastic about our hobby - well done chaps!

Reader said:
If only some of the more experienced birders could take a young novice out every so often I think they would get a buzz out of it.

Or even an old novice! Pete was great at Minsmeet - even found a bird on request!!! I looked at the chart in one of the hides, asked him to find me a shoveler - and he produced one almost instantly!!! Thanks, Pete! B :) :clap:

Last edited:
Magic!

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Or even an old novice! Pete was great at Minsmeet - even found a bird on request!!! I looked at the chart in one of the hides, asked him to find me a shoveler - and he produced one almost instantly!!! Thanks, Pete! B :) :clap:
Real magic, Elizabeth!!:eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back