• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boat trip near Mull (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

I took a trip out around Mull with Highland Tiger from their base just north of Oban.

My target species for today was Manx shearwater and I was lucky to see plenty of them. The other highlight was a white-tailed eagle - this bird had a wing-tag on it, although I couldn't make out what it said.

The other usual seabirds were found - gannet, puffin, razorbill, guillemot, black guillemot, kittiwake.

Unfortunately I completely dipped on any cetaceans or basking sharks, and these had been my other target species. The weather was just perfect with hardly any swell so it should have been easy to spot them, but unfortunately they just weren't around. The only mammals seen were grey and common seals - that latter with some pups.

I also saw a lion's mane jellyfish.

It was a great day, but it's always disappointing not to see cetaceans, especially in a hotspot for them and a place where I've seen them before. But that's just the way it goes - you can never predict wildlife!

Sounds like a most enjoyable day, even allowing for the no show of cetaceans and sharks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back