• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Culloden Woods, Inverness. (1 Viewer)

Ratal

Very windy day, gusting strong enough to break small branches up in the canopy, so I wasn't expecting much. Damn glad I went for a stroll though.

Meadow Pipit
Tree Pipit
Spotted fly catcher, male, female and three juv.
Flock of Goldfinches
Flock of Bullfinches
Tree Creepr
Greater spotted woodpecker
Common Buzzard
Grey wagtail
Swallows
House Martins

Best spot of the day though was the appearance low over the fields of a Short eared Owl.

What a grand day you had by the sounds of it Ratal. I didn't really expect the finches to be flocking just yet.

Nice one with the shortie too.

Sounds like a good trip.Never been to Culloden Woods but have been near them.Next time,I shall have to stop and have a look.

The Shortie was about a foot off the grass tips and really slow. First time in my life I have ever seen one so close. Being just back inside the tree line was a help, as was dark clothing.

@ Delia - The Goldfinches, Bull Finches, Chaffinches were all massed in flocks which suprised me, but a real treat. Also one that I have never seen before is Swallows perched in trees.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back