• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Fleet visit (1 Viewer)

Ratal

Well and truely decided on a day out, so decided weather would be good for a coastal visit.

Loch Fleet and the Little Ferry Carpark just to the south did not disappoint. Travelled by train from Inverness to golspie and walked the few miles down the golf course road to the reserve

List of the days spots.
Curlew
Oystercatcher
Whimbrel
Osprey
Common buzzard
Common sandpiper
Redshank
Crossbills
Yellowhammer
Linnets
Goldfinch
Great spotted woodpecker
Meadow pipit
Tree pipit
Grey wagtail
Williow warbler
Ringed Plover
Eider
Comman scoters

The highlights were pink footed goose and black stork.

What a grand day you had. I've stopped many times at Dornoch Firth and Loch Fleet, when travelling to/from the north, but never made it right along the Little Ferry Road, maybe another time now you've sort of pointed it out to me.

I didn't know there was a stork up there, nice one.

Has your wife forgiven you yet?;)

She has forgiven me as I took photos. I can say that the road to little ferry has a flock of easily fifty crossbills, and the waders / sea ducks are well worth the extra effort. I have a distance shot of the black storm and will add it as soon as I can get to computer Half hour max.

There havent been many Black Stork records this year - hopefully someone else will connect with it over the weekend

where i was.JPG
birdforumbigstokblack.jpg

First shot to show difficult viewing conditions, and yes the Helios fieldmaster really can reach out and connect at that distance. Second shot added to show size and posture better.

Hi Ratal

Nice list going on there and the Black Stork is an interesting one. Crossbills are superb to find too

Regards
Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back