• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bee Hummingbird?? (1 Viewer)

Ingraham

I was walking my Greyhound last night, and I saw, what I thought to be a large yellow jacket flying around a flowering bush. It was such an odd looking bee, I took a closer look. It was a hummingbird. Of course, I could not see the color of the wings, but the lower half of the body was black, the mid-section was yellow & black. The face was black with bright yellow cheeks.

The size was about 1 1/2 inches.

Does anyone have a picture or know what the name of this particular species of hummingbird is?

Thanks,
Liz

hello & welcome from the Moderators of Birdforum.

Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about where you come from?

This may narrow down the identification for us.

Best Wishes

Colin J.

Hello Liz,

On behalf of admin and all the moderators, a warm welcome to Bird Forum

I'm not sure what your little hummingbird is, but I have every confidence that your query will be answered very soon by one or more of our members, clever lot that they are.

Ok I can now look it up in my American birdguide.

which I have just done. I cannot find anything matching that description sorry

Colin J.

Hi Liz and welcome - Michael may be right - check out another thread "Hummingbird Hawkmoth" - I think there may be a photo or two in there that might help you.

Ah yes look at something like Broad bordered bee hawk moth or something similar. If GA is Georgia are they seen in the usa?

Colin.

It sounds a lot like a Snowberry Clearwing, a type of "hummingbird moth" that mimics a bumblebee. I actually just saw my first of this species the other day, and it was quite a sight.~GECSOS

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back