• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parkgate-Wirral-High Tides (1 Viewer)

Knew Parkgate wasn't quite going to be there without the aid of the wind.

Should have all seen Marshside though! Flooded up to the road for the most part Monday and Tuesday (presumably same today) and the mammals had a tough time again, gettin' picked off left right and centre. I was there for Monday and had superb views of a Shortie and a Merlin also did a fly past. Over 100 Skylarks also feeding on the rafts of marsh that managed to stay above water. Easily eqaulled the Parkgate spectacle I had at the beginning of Feb.

The Parkgate spectacle at the beginning of Feb was phenomenal !!! It would have to be omething really special to beat that - it was the first time the entire marsh ahd flooded for about 2 years and hence there were riduculous numbers of mammals and birds ... ... !!!

What height of tide is needed to flood the marsh at Marshside???

What height of tide is needed to flood the marsh at Marshside???

Theoretically 10.0 plus but everything depends on direction & strength of the wind. I have seen 10.4 metres and the water never came near the wall. Last week was 10.0 (on the day I went) and it came right up to the wall (and did so for the next 2 days I believe).

The RSPB and Wirral Rangers team are hosting a high tide event at Riverbank Road, Heswall tomorrow starting at 9am - tide is due at 12.03 at a height of 9.9m.

Feel free to join us - we may even see this Red Kite that has been knocking about ....

The RSPB and Wirral Rangers team are hosting a high tide event at Riverbank Road, Heswall tomorrow starting at 9am - tide is due at 12.03 at a height of 9.9m.

Feel free to join us - we may even see this Red Kite that has been knocking about ....

Didn't see the red kite but:

2 merlin
1 peregrine
1 hen harrier (ringtail)
1 buzzard
1500 redshank
9 RB Merganser
lots shelduck
lots curlew
1 swallow
1 chiffchaff (heard)

Did kinda make up for it!

We had 315 into the roost at IMF last Summer - will be interesting to see how they have faired after this harsh winter ...

at least 50 little egret seen circling over their roost at IMF when spooked by a buzzard - this is representative of the breeding numbers and fairly similar to previous years numbers

9.8m tide on Friday, 9.9m tides on Saturday and Sunday - but high pressure overhead means the tide will probably remain a long way out. There are 3 x 10m tides next month - Saturday 19th, Sunday 20th and Monday 21st, all around about mid-day (so we can only hope for some low pressure / rough weather to precede them ;).

Chris

9.8m tide on Friday, 9.9m tides on Saturday and Sunday - but high pressure overhead means the tide will probably remain a long way out. There are 3 x 10m tides next month - Saturday 19th, Sunday 20th and Monday 21st, all around about mid-day (so we can only hope for some low pressure / rough weather to precede them ;).

Chris

Hi Chris , could you tell me where I'm most likely to see birds of prey on the high tide...Parkgate Old Baths or along the seawall ?

Hi Chris , could you tell me where I'm most likely to see birds of prey on the high tide...Parkgate Old Baths or along the seawall ?

If the tide comes in it's best to stand at the old baths. Get there about an hour and a half or so before high tide otherwise you could find yourself relegated to the back as it can get busy. The car park at the bottom of Riverbank Road in Heswall is a good spot if the tide remains fairly far out ( like it did today - still good views of Merlin , Peregrine, Buzzard and Kes plus Pinkfeet, Brents ducks and waders though.)

Chris

Parkgate was quite busy today for the high tide in the Dee Estuary, with at least 200 onlookers with all the usual gear; tripods, scopes and bins. Actually, it was a bit of a washout (no, that's the one thing it wasn't: the tide didn't get nearer than about 100 yards from The Parade promenade) but I expect the voles and other small wildlife on the marshes were grateful for their reprieve, which may have only been a temporary one because it all happens again tomorrow and Tuesday, so they may still have to run the gauntlet. If it happens, it's a sight to see, tiny bedraggled creatures scurrying for dear life as the birds scream and dive on their prey: nature in all its stark cruelty. The RSPB chaps were there as usual, which was just as well because they're so expert at finding and identifying birds, which I'm not, so the trick is to stay within earshot of one of them, and then you discover that distant thing on the wing out there really is a Buzzard (or whatever). If it had been an aeroplane, I'd have had no trouble identifying it, but my memory doesn't seem to work when it comes to recognising birds. However, I did correctly locate a few Egrets, and then kept popping over to the RSPB blackboard to check out the latest sightings. The tide is forecast to be a little higher tomorrow, so there's still a chance to maybe witness a grand exodus of little critters from the Dee...

Parkgate today was much the same as yesterday: high tide approaching the sea wall but not quite reaching it (at least, not in any volume) so lots of little creatures can yet again sleep in their reed beds tonight and dream/hope that tomorrow will be more of the same. Not all escaped today though: further out in the estuary the gulls were swooping like Stuka divebombers, screams replacing sirens, on anything silly or desperate enough to break cover and make a run/swim for it. Judging by the activity and excitement, the gulls were having a feast, although I didn't see any little marsh-dwellers carried off by the frenzied foragers, as in some previous years. And the gulls were being very territorial about their hunting grounds, harrying harshly a lone owl which invaded their air space. It eventually gave up the uneven fight, chased away by two particularly persistent gulls.
The RSPB wardens and their tent again provided the focal point at Old Baths car park, setting up their scopes, spotting the birds, and inviting anyone to have a look, as well as confirming sightings/identifications, as a result of which even I managed to find and see some of the following:
Greylag Goose; Skylark; Shelduck; Kestrel; Heron (very graceful); Mallard; Black-tailed Godwit; Peregrine; Harrier (but no V/STOL); Little Egret; Black-headed Gull (lots!); Teal; Curlew; Oystercatcher; Moorhen; Redshank; Dunlin; Short-eared Owl and (I think) a pair of Swans... Oh, and a Pink-footed Goose!

Last edited:
Parkgate yesterday was less of the same as Monday and Tuesday, with the tide reluctant to approach the sea wall in any meaningful way, so good news for all creatures small. A Little Egret entertained the fewer watchers by playing "now you see me, now you don't" out in the marsh grasses. I'm rather glad the tide didn't come rushing in because, though we missed the spectacle of 'run for your lives' and 'every vole for himself', the calm of the estuary remained relatively undisturbed, the sun shone, the birds sang, and it was very pleasant just mooching around, enjoying the tranquility. Sometimes you can have fun doing nothing much at all...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back