• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kent, UK (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

Hoping to finally visit Kent at the end of July. Will be visiting Dungeness. Does anyone recommend any nice nature reserves, areas to see wildlife there?

What are the chances of seeing Nightingale and seeing and hearing Nightjar? Are there any good areas to see southern species like Stone Curlew and Dartford Warbler? Woodlark, Turtle Dove would be good too.

I also want to attempt to see some new butterflies and dragonflies as well as some nice Kentish landscapes. Any nice meadows, heaths, dowland that can be recommended?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Himalaya,

Nightingale: They are still around, though much harder to see than in April/May when they sing more actively and there are fewer leaves. Try RSPB Cliffe Pools (also Med Gulls, Spoonbills, BW Stilts) or Northward Hill.
Nightjar and Woodlark: Try RSPB Broadwater Warren, good chances.
Stone Curlew: No chance in Kent really.
Dartford Warbler: Possible at Broadwater Warren or Dungeness, but a better bet would be the Ashdown Forest just over the border in Sussex - also Woodlark, super scenery.
Turtle Dove: Oare Marshes or Conyer

You might spend a day doing the North Kent marshes - Cliffe Pools then Oare Marshes and finally Conyer if you haven't got Turtle Dove at Oare, a day around Canterbury split between Blean Woods and Stodmarsh, and then a day for Ashdown Forest/Broadwater Warren. Plus you will have time around Dungeness. Maybe someone else can recommend a nice downland walk?

Enjoy Kent, Paul

Had a quick look at the maps good to see some of them are together. North Kent I could do on the final day - a nice long drive home.

Cliffe is also good for Dragonflies as is Westbere (Norfolk Hawker if still flying) which is close to Stodmarsh. For butterflies, the sites already mentioned are good. East Blean (slighly away from the main part of the Blean) is also good.

Enjoy

Regards

List of places to visit including some National Trust sites. Looks very ambitious. Some places will receive a flying visit only now.

1. Bodiam castle NT - East Sussex - not far from Cranbrook/Tunbridge Wells, Kent

2. Chartwell NT - - Sevenoaks area, Kent

3. Emmets garden NT -- Sevenoaks area, Kent

4. Knole House NT - Sevenoaks area, Kent

5. Quebec House NT - Sevenoaks area, Kent

6. Scotney castle NT - Tunbridge Wells Kent

7. Sissiinghurst castle and garden NT - Cranbrook, Kent, not far from Royal Tunbridge Wells and Dungeness

8. south Foreland Lighthouse and White Cliffs, Dover, Kent - near Dungness

9. Stodmarsh near canterbury

10. Cliffe pools and Northward Hill - North kent - near Gravesebnd and m25 - handy for way back!

11. Broadwater Warren - near Tonbridge Wells

12. Oare and conyer Marshes - North Kent near Canterbury

13. Blwean Woods near Canterbury

14. Dungeness of course!

The places I am more likely to give up are numbers 3 and 5 but they are close by to the other NT trust sites and Blean Woods. I could do Ashdown Forest from Bodiam Castle but then it could add a lot of time on. Got a maximum of 5 days. I could set off Saturday or soon after. Might stop off at East london on way down or way back.

Wow that is a big list for 5 days. Lots of great places on there but it won't give you long at each site, think you may need to trim the list. I'm sure you will enjoy it wherever you decide to visit. Happy viewing.

With Oare the best time to go is around high tide as all the waders are pushed onto the East Flood.

Elmley is 30 minutes away from Oare/ Conyer perhaps worth investigating as an option.

Sissinghurst is listed in the top 3 of dragonfly sites in the Dragonflies of Kent book.

Enjoy.

Regards

I think I am going to be staying around Tunbridge Wells as it looks very central to where I could be visiting - Dungeness and Dover can be a day trip itself from there. The most likely places to visit would be the following. bst to focus on Kent places.

2. Chartwell NT - - Sevenoaks area, Kent

4. Knole House NT - Sevenoaks area, Kent

6. Scotney castle NT - Tunbridge Wells Kent

7. Sissiinghurst castle and garden NT - Cranbrook, Kent, not far from Royal Tunbridge Wells and Dungeness

8. south Foreland Lighthouse and White Cliffs, Dover, Kent - near Dungness

10. Cliffe pools and Northward Hill - North kent - near Gravesebnd and m25 - handy for way back!

11. Broadwater Warren - near Tonbridge Wells

12. Oare and conyer Marshes - North Kent near Canterbury

14. Dungeness of course!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back