• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding roosting on porch light (1 Viewer)

rluper

Hello all,

So last few weeks I've noticed a bird keeps sleeping on my porch light. Looks like a female house finch and until I googled it I was very surprised it was even here since it is starting to cold here in Colorado Springs.

I am not sure what I should do about it. I don't mind it roosting there but poop is starting to collect which is somewhat annoying...

If I put a bird house nearby you think it would go there instead? You think it may come back in spring to nest there? It's kind of out in open, not best nest location.

Also any worries of mites (I've seen "Infested") during winter, I doubt it.

Unfortunately I most likely will end up scaring it away soon if it keeps coming back. (it's actually out there now, I opened the door earlier this evening and saw it puffed up looking like it just woke up lol).

Cool bird though.
-Reggie

ps: I also have a rabbit in my back yard that likes to chill in the afternoons.. I'm too ncie to scare it away and actually think its cool.

Hi Reggie,

Your porch light might be the warmest spot around, which would be critical for this small bird in a Colorado winter. A bird box which offers wind shelter probably would be preferred, maybe leave in some old pine needles to act as insulation padding. Obviously some food, suet or sunflower seed and even more so some water, just a drip is enough, would be very welcome.

Yeah I figured it was warmer for it.. though to me that means my front door is leaking warm air!! lol.

I will look around for a small bird house and will put it up and see what happens. M

Yeah I figured it was warmer for it.. though to me that means my front door is leaking warm air!! lol.

I will look around for a small bird house and will put it up and see what happens. M

Your guest may still have ulterior motives.
I've had a House Finch nesting on top of the porch light in Connecticut. The back door of the house got a lot of use that year.
They do sing sweetly though.

Another Question:

I bought a birdhouse so hopefully it uses it versus light but it says its really for a a wren. Most housefinch made houses are rectangular and tall.... will the finch you think still like the birdhouse I got?

Another Question:

I bought a birdhouse so hopefully it uses it versus light but it says its really for a a wren. Most housefinch made houses are rectangular and tall.... will the finch you think still like the birdhouse I got?

The main concern would be to check the size of the entry hole.
House finches are bigger than wrens and need a 1 3/8th inch or more diameter entry, while wrens do ok with just a 1 inch opening.
Birds generally don't care much about the shape of the nest box, but they were built tall so that starlings and jays, who do not fit the entry, could not raid the nest by just sticking in their head. More important for the bird is a safe location, sheltered from the worst of the sun or wind. Even there, remember the bird is used to raising its young in pretty marginal surroundings, so if the nest is out of easy reach by cats and such, it will look good.

Thanks for the info. I'll check the hole size tomorrow. I just got home from work (11p local) and the bird definitely is sleeping in same place, he didn't see or like the nest enough to sleep in it. Oh well, maybe it is just warmer in the corner where he is. I'll make sure hole is good size for it and then just leave it there hopefully in the future the bird will move in.

Thanks again.
-reggie

Silly bird. I got a different birdhouse and it has a 1.5" opening and faces east so she would be protected but this bird is stubborn. I even placed it on the wall just outside door.

Attachments

• finch.jpg
    finch.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 444
Silly bird. I got a different birdhouse and it has a 1.5" opening and faces east so she would be protected but this bird is stubborn. I even placed it on the wall just outside door.

She is not stupid.
Given a choice in winter between a floor heated bedroom and a cold dark box, she is choosing comfort.
Seriously, your setup looks very attractive for a small bird, nicely sheltered from above and the side. I'm not sure what would make her move voluntarily at this time of the year.

Nice picture....and a very happy bird it seems...|:D|
We have a LOT of house finches. I counted 80 recently for a backyard bird count.....ours seem to roost in large evergreens.
But have to say your set up does apear much nicer. We had a bird sleep on our porch light earlier this fall, but only for a couple of nights.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back