• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wart-biter - possible to see? (1 Viewer)

prhodes

Tried without luck a few years ago at Castle Hill near Brighton, and thinking about trying again. Not sure whether it is even appropriate to ask for advice about seeing this scarce and elusive species?

I've always wondered why Orthoptera are far less popular than butterflies, macro moths and dragonflies, despite being large and interesting insects, with interesting habitat requirements.

Unlike other groups, some even sound like our beloved birds.

I saw them at Castle hill NNR on 17/08/2011, so should be OK. I also saw Lesser Cockroach there the same day.

Thanks for the reply Keith. My last attempt was in mid September and I was drawn to searching the taller vegetation in the area described as Newmarket Bottom on the OS map, where there were Great Green Bush-crickets and Long-winged Coneheads. Castle Hill NNR is a large area and any clues where to look would be appreciated? I do of course understand, an open forum is not the best place to ask about a rare resident like this.

Thanks again for the reply. Phil

Partial success at at Castle Hill NNR. Arrived at c.11am and came across a stridulating Wart-biter fairly quickly. The insect was quite well hidden in the lush vegetation but excessive faffing around with the camera, meant I didn't get a picture before it sunk back out of view. Sat patiently and despite repeated bouts of 'clicking' it never got going again.

Two hours later I'd given up and started to enjoy the 'butterfly fest' that included Wall, Dark Green Fritillary, Chalkhill Blue, Brown Argus, Small Copper and Adonis Blue - best butterfly diversity and shear numbers I'd seen in years. Thanks again for the assistance Keith.

Attachments

• Adonis Blueemail.JPG
    Adonis Blueemail.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back