• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of Zen-Ray ED2 82mm Scope (2 Viewers)

Ill try again with my cam ,better light,and more time...I know that WB has to be right to get the artifacts under control,and i didnt do this with last pictures...I will try doing a custom reading of white balance before each shot,...focussing both eyepieces right is critical.maybe with better light I can do better.I will try another target too,flatter and not shinny

Last edited:
henry link said:
As far as star test photos, I assume you mean that the camera is overexposing stars that are close to focus. I just use manual exposure with the camera lens wide open (you don't want it to be smaller than the exit pupil coming from the scope) and then keep trying different shutter speeds until I find one that works. The correct shutter speed increases as the diffraction disk shrinks.

I wasnt refering to photos henry, those I was more or less able to do with my compact digital camera (no manual function), the ones you comment on SteveC thread.
I was trying to do a small video of the star test, but like you said the camera probably is overexposing, and instead of 3 or 4 diffraction rings, theres only a hudge amount of white light.... when the camera copes with all that light the scope is to out of focus to see the center diffraction rings.
Anyway to decrease all that light without compromise the star test? What if I stopped down the Zen to 70mm or less.....

Last edited:
Yes, the problem is that no single exposure setting will work. A big out of focus pattern with lots of rings contains the very same amount of light as a tiny one with only a few rings, so the surface brightness is much higher for the small one.

You wouldn't want to stop down the scope. That wouldn't help the exposure problems since the small discs closer to focus would still be brighter than the big ones further from focus. It also wouldn't accurately portray the full aperture performance. In the case of the Zen scope a stop down would eliminate the impinging prism and clean up the aberrations.

Henry

Last edited:
I see, henry...thanks for the explanation.

henry link said:
It also wouldn't accurately portray the full aperture performance. In the case of the Zen scope a stop down would eliminate the impinging prism and clean up the aberrations.

I probably dont understand the all concept and the many variables envolved, but the way you put it, it sounds like a stopped down scope with SA could perform better than the same scope at full aperture.

I see, henry...thanks for the explanation.

I probably dont understand the all concept and the many variables envolved, but the way you put it, it sounds like a stopped down scope with SA could perform better than the same scope at full aperture.

It is possible to emulate the star. Sometimes I do casual star test in little singular points of reflection from the sun against things. And so the rest don´t need to be full black and maybe the evaluative exposure won´t be a problem. I never tested like that... but may work, look:

http://www.mapug-astronomy.net/astrodesigns/mapug/StarTest.htm

Last edited:

Yes, stopping down a scope with SA reduces the SA. Spherical aberration happens when rays from the outer parts of the objective lens don't focus at the same distance behind the lens as rays from the central part of the objective lens. Simply blocking the unfocused outer rays eliminates part of the aberration.

All my star-test photos are done with an artificial star. Outdoors I use a small shiny ball reflecting the sun, usually placed about 40 meters from the scope.

Henry

I see that FrankD has revealed that Zen-Ray is about to announce a 25-50x wide angle zoom. I tested a prototype, but unfortunately I don't have much time to write about it now. I'll say that that I was surprised to see a healthy dose of barrel distortion at the low magnification end, something I don't think I've seen in an eyepiece before. Also, unlike most zoom eyepieces the eye relief is shortest at the lowest magnification. I'll see if I can find my notes and write a little more tomorrow.

I need to make a correction to part of the quote above. I had access to a Kowa 773 this past weekend and noticed that the Kowa 20-60x zoom also has barrel distortion, so I have seen it in an eyepiece before. In fact I had mentioned it in a test of the 883 a few years ago. So much for my aging memory cells. I frequently look through a friend's 883 and have never even noticed the barrel distortion in the field, so I doubt that I would find it objectionable in the Zen 25-50x either.

Part 2 – The Zoom Eyepiece

I discovered, when I compared them, that the Zen 20-60x zoom eyepiece is a direct copy of the Swarovski 20-60x zoom. The focal lengths, lens diameters, overall dimensions and everything else I could measure are the same within the margins of error of my kitchen table and backyard methods. The photos of the two eyepieces placed side by side (Zen on the left) show identical reflection patterns of the camera flash returning from the lens elements. This only happens if the optical formulas are identical. So, whatever has been said about the excellent Swarovski eyepiece also applies to the Zen, which is such a faithful copy that I doubt anyone could tell the difference between the two. Both are very sharp and bright at every magnification with excellent off–axis performance. As is often the case with spotting scopes, it’s the objective and prisms that limit the high magnification performance, not the zoom eyepiece. Charles at Zen-Ray does not recommend it, but as you can see in the photo that shows the bayonets, the mounts are so close that Swarovski eyepieces will fit the Zen scope (but not engage the locking pin) and probably vice versa.

Henry Link

So a virtual clone is legally allowed in America of a European design?

I've just heard on the grapevine that the new upcoming RSPB HD Scope was put back for a redesign of the mount when it was discovered at a fairly late stage it was the same as the Swarovski scopes. As I understand it the RSPB were worried it could infringe design patents.

The RSPB scope is also shipping with a 25-50x zoom which potentially could have been used on a Swarovski if sold separately. If this is a clone of the swaro model ala the 20-60X Zen it could have really upset Swaro...

It sounds as if the RSPB scope is a variation of the Zen albeit more expensive as it will be around £1200. All should be revealed at the BirdFair in August...

This episode reminds me of the the non appearance of the Nikon Edg Mk1 bins in Europe.

Patent law is far from my field, but I imagine there could be legal issues in the US for these eyepieces, the Theron scope and probably other items that haven't yet been examined closely. I decided to simply report what I saw and leave the questions about intellectual property rights to others. If Swarovski or Nikon see reason for action I'm sure their lawyers know what to do.

I decided to simply report what I saw and leave the questions about intellectual property rights to others. If Swarovski or Nikon see reason for action I'm sure their lawyers know what to do.

I'm grateful you did. The possibility of using cheaper eyepieces on the Swaro scopes would be of interest to many people I would have thought.

If the Zen 25-50x eyepiece turns out to be a clone of the current Swaro eyepiece I can see there being a lot of interest. This is currently over £500 and the Zen would surely be a lot cheaper. Now Zen have a European outlet in Poland they would be a lot more available too, this side of the pond.

If Dale Forbes of Swarovski is reading this I wonder if he has any comments.

I hope Henry doesnt mind, if I share my thoughts about these too scopes, on his thread, I do not consider it a review just a day with lots of fun....

I had previously said that I prefer the Zen ED2 over a 77 APO-Televid Leica that I regularly use for fieldwork. Well… I still do, but after putting for the first time both scopes side by side, the difference between them is not that big as I thought before, I was convinced that the Zen was better on all situations.
In fact, this older “Alpha” beat the new Zen ED2 in some occasions, and different light conditions, but so did the Zen over the Leica. I evaluate them from morning light to late night, with bright sun, overcast weather and almost with no light at all, the Gods had been generous that day.

The 77 Leica is still a fine scope to look through, not as sharp to the edges, as the Zen but with similar flat field and almost as wide field of view. It handles light with bright sun in the way all Leicas do, the view is lovely with warm and contrasting colours from 20x to 60x, however in all situations the view was like seeing through the city smog, when comparing to the Zen ED2, that shows always a crystalline image.

In the morning, the overcast weather gave the lead to the Zen ED2, every bush with flowers and leaves had a sharp, bright colourful 3D view from 20x to 60 x with the Zen, the Leica image was soft and much less contrasting, they seemed totally different scopes in that moment, but in the late afternoon with the sun on my back, the Leica surprised me and the opposite happened, now the contrasting and colourful image was shown through the Leica, and the Zen had difficulty to handle CA from 40x forwards, at least for the Leica standarts.
I have never noticed much CA on the Zen, like I did that afternoon, the Leica had none, like Henry Link stated, we should always have a well corrected scope to keep the reviews unbiased. Leica states that Apochromat-Televid´s have 1 fluoride element, don’t know if pure fluoride or just marketing around the f word.

The Leica star tested better than the Zen, circular concentric rings in both sides of focus, without the impinging prism problem shown by the Zen that originates SA.
To me, resolution is very important, so SA on the Zen is the main reason of dislike, until 40x there is no reason to complain about, but at 50x and 60x, its more difficult to achieve perfect focus with the Zen…sometimes and when mirage is too high you can see the image get from focused to slightly unfocused repeatedly, with the Leica, you get a more stabilized and pleasant image.
At night, the 82mm ED2 is impressive, well-defined images at 20 or 30x, then you push to 60x and you still have plenty of light to see with good resolution: textures of walls, street lamps, tiny plants growing on old roofs, geckos,moths etc. The Leica is much more dim, even at 20x resolution is seriously affected, probably it shows what 77mm aperture scope should, but there is clearly a big diference between them. When I tried to see the concrete texture near a street lamp 200 yards away, it showed a great amount of veil flares, unlike the Zen that as a great ability to deal with them.

In the end of the day I have got the feeling, that I couldn’t decide which one to choose, probably both….or merge them. One to use during cloudy days, dusk, dawn, with the sun in front, and one to use with brigth contrasting hot sunny afternoons with the sun on your back.....
After much thinking and reviewing mentally both scope views, I still prefer the Zen…but makes me wonder how much good the new 82 Leica APO- Televid is.

I´m adding 2 pictures taken at 30x with both scopes where you can see the cold tinge of the Zen versus the "smog" warm tinge of the Leica. Both photos taken with 2 minutes apart and the same settings except ISO, 141 on the Zen and 191 on the Leica.

Attachments

• DSCN0267.jpg
    DSCN0267.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 383
  • leica30x1poste1.jpg
    leica30x1poste1.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 566
  • zen30x2poste1.jpg
    zen30x2poste1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
Hi Rui, Thanks for posting this! This has been a very interesting thread for me. Nice picture of the two scopes, esp. under the conditions with bright light etc. Your pictures through the eyepieces show quite a bit of difference. It would be nice if you could actually measure resolution difference between these two scopes and have a new Leica 82 APO on hand. I don't ask for much!;)

I´m adding 2 pictures taken at 30x with both scopes where you can see the cold tinge of the Zen versus the "smog" warm tinge of the Leica. Both photos taken with 2 minutes apart and the same settings except ISO, 141 on the Zen and 191 on the Leica.

FWIW, the Leica image is MUCH better. The Zen image reveals coma and vignetting in the outer field. Could be your camera was misaligned though the defects appear to be symetrical on both sides of the frame.

RJM said:
FWIW, the Leica image is MUCH better. The Zen image reveals coma and vignetting in the outer field. Could be your camera was misaligned though the defects appear to be symetrical on both sides of the frame.

I am not expecting that the photo reveals anything more than the color tinge and brightness on the scopes, both photos were taken with the camera handheld, and most of times the camera is misaligned with the scope eyepiece.....I have lots of pictures taken at all mags with both scopes but all are misleading.

mooreorless said:
Hi Rui, Thanks for posting this! This has been a very interesting thread for me. Nice picture of the two scopes, esp. under the conditions with bright light etc. Your pictures through the eyepieces show quite a bit of difference. It would be nice if you could actually measure resolution difference between these two scopes and have a new Leica 82 APO on hand. I don't ask for much!

I dont have the Leica with me at the moment, unfortunetly that day I dont take them outside to make a resolution test, I did try it indoors, but my test chart print isnt good enough for only 10 meters.
Unfortunatly that 82 APO Leica is not easy to find yet, but I should get a Zeiss 85/Baader combo and Swaro 80 HD ...if all at the same time better :).

It is obvious that lighting conditions changed between shots as indicated by the sun glints on the water so I don't think the pics can accurately reveal color tone either. But the sun glints also seem to indicate the ZR's optical defects and shadowing in the corners could indicate rather poor illumination of the exit pupil. This vignetting may also explain why the ZR seems to have better contrast than the Leica in certain light. The smoothness of the bokeh on shoreline also seems indicate the Leica glass is a better optic.

Frankly, based on your description of the ZR's star test and its inability to take higher magnification plus what these pics reveal I would send the ZR scope back.

Last edited:
You are right, in that fraction of second between the two photos light as changed as you said, probably those photos cant accurately reveal color tone either on both scopes, but they are fine to show all the defects on the Zen |=)|

RJM said:
Frankly, based on your description of the ZR's star test and its inability to take higher magnification plus what these pics reveal I would send the ZR scope back.

And ask Zen to send me better optics than that Leica, meanwhile, I will advise the Leica owner to do the same with is scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back