• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help identifying this... (1 Viewer)

Dave S

Corporate Lacky
Environment: Pond Area (park)
Date taken: 7/24/2004

I got him to do a face profile from both sides, but I couldn't get a shot of his back.. only his chest. It was about the size of a swallow:

Attachments

• 2004-07-24-1400-07-800.jpg
    2004-07-24-1400-07-800.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 2004-07-24-1400-06-800.jpg
    2004-07-24-1400-06-800.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 163
The dark streaks on the undertail coverts confirm this as a Wood-Pewee rather than any species of empidonax flycatcher. The location makes it Western rathern than Eastern.

Dave

I believe the fellows across the pond are correct in calling this bird a Western Wood-Pewee. All the empidonax flycatchers have a white eye-ring. Another similar bird would be the Eastern Phoebe. But the general shape of this bird is not quite right for phoebe. Also, Oregon is not included in the range of Eastern Phoebe.

Hi

Just thought it worth pointing out that although Larry's point is good in theory that willow, alder and acadian flycatchers can all appear not to have an eye-ring - in fact all the willows I see here the eye ring is so weak on most birds it would be a terrible field mark to go on.

Luke

The Acadian Flycatchers that I see usually have a discernable eye-ring. I agree that on the Trail's (Alder/Willow) Flycatchers the eye-ring may be indistinct, but still should show a slight eye-ring (if you get a close enough look).

Hi Larry,

Just trying to give a more complete picture on the id issue - agree with the acadian - usually fairly clear on the bird i've seen - but with the willow/alder even on a pretty close look you're not guaranteed a discernable eyering - I was looking at a load of willows earlier this week and even down to a few metres they didn't really appear to have an eyering.

Luke

streatham said:
Hi

Just thought it worth pointing out that although Larry's point is good in theory that willow, alder and acadian flycatchers can all appear not to have an eye-ring - in fact all the willows I see here the eye ring is so weak on most birds it would be a terrible field mark to go on.

Luke

In fact the apparent lack of an eye ring is a useful distinction between the willow flycatcher and the pacific slope flycatcher.

Alan

As most reference materials on these flycatchers point out, making species identification can be difficult even with the bird "in hand". Of course, the more certain route to an identification is by hearing vocalizations of the bird in question. This, unfortunately, is impossible when only dealing with a photograph or viewing a silent live bird. Your points are well taken.

Another big help in ID distinction betwen the Pewee's and the Empids are the behaviors. The Pewee's will sally out, catch a bug, and then return to the same perch (usually). The Empids do not (usually) return to the same perch, but slowly move on.

I was watching this guy's cousin this afternoon. I had the Tropical Pewee lined up in my scope and watched for about 5 minutes as he flew off, caught something, and then kept returning to the same perch. Didn't even have to adjust my scope between trips. Luckily it was summer and we don't have the Eastern Pewee here in summer and Western Pewee's range stops about 100 miles from here, so I know I had the Tropical :cool:

This bird used the same set of perches... but not necessarily the same one. Of course, I was only about 50 feet away in plain view so he may have been a bit more flighty than usual.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back