• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phylloscopus I.D Request (1 Viewer)

How many Siberian birds are seen on the West coast of the US (let alone the East Coast, compared to Western Europe? Last autumn saw 4 figure counts of eg Yellow-browed Warblers on islands off Norway

You have to factor in migration routes too while speculating.

Only Arctic Warbler, Dusky Warbler seen on the West coast of America other than Alaska, details Birding frontiers.

I don't suppose anyone has thought longer term? For instance, could it not have been a Siberian species that has just slowly traveled through the US and gone unseen for a long time? From what I gather it seems that we are assuming it made the journey within a month or so.

Probably unlikely but its just another possibility. If it got lost once, it could get lost again and end up over the Atlantic Ocean...maybe...

And that's about all the constructiveness I can add to this thread.

From what I gather it seems that we are assuming it made the journey within a month or so.

I at least and I assume others are thinking it travelled last autumn and maybe even early winter - but more than a month ago, more like 3. This is merely an assumption but one that fits in with the more understood long distance vagrancy patterns of Phylloscopus (and many others).

I would imagine that by December the bird would have settled for the winter - even in an unsuitable climate.

Last edited:
Now I am NOT suggesting it be done...but the bird could be captured and a mini geotag device attached to it. When it migrates, presumably the bird would return via whence it came.

Funny how on some photos it shows clearly yellow UTC's and on other photos they really look white.

I would consider a small number of Arctic Warbler breeding in Alaska (majority I should imagine would head to SE Asia) would use reverse migration so a small number of Arctic Warbler will go south, speculation - knowing migrating birds a bird would fly across America and then move south down the Eastern American Coastline. A small number of Arctic Warbler recorded down the West side of America Calfornia and 1 Mexico.
Reverse migration that's why we get Yellow-browed and Greenish Warbler on the East Coast of Britain in Autumn, the majority of Birds go South East from their breeding grounds.

A reverse migrating Alaskan arctic warbler would head NE as opposed to the SW it was supposed to be going, which would lead it a long way from Bermuda. All of this of course is conjecture as the bird in question is almost certainly not an arctic warbler!

I wouldn't like to say as I guess that sort of thing is prone to change with the position of the bird. However, on that pic alone, you could begin to eliminate arctic on leg colour, and also the shape of the super - on arctic, the super is very narrow above the eye - eg an eye rings width. On greenish it's broader - as it is on the bird in question.

I wouldn't like to say as I guess that sort of thing is prone to change with the position of the bird. However, on that pic alone, you could begin to eliminate arctic on leg colour, and also the shape of the super - on arctic, the super is very narrow above the eye - eg an eye rings width. On greenish it's broader - as it is on the bird in question.

Also, on other pictures the pale tipped bill and medium to short PP wouldn't support an Arctic.

It would be good to have some comments from the photographer about its size and behaviour as well as habitat; wet or dry, high in trees etc.

Last edited:
I think the trick with this bird is to work with what is there rather than what isn't. Most of the tips of the upper contour feathers are missing where they are sharply focussed... I get the impression that the same thing is going on with the underparts. I'm not sure I can see median coverts or tertials...or inner greater coverts.

The greater coverts that you can see appear to be growing and do consistently show narrowish pale tips.

The shape and colour of the soft parts are not affected by moult or wear

A reverse migrating Alaskan arctic warbler would head NE as opposed to the SW it was supposed to be going, which would lead it a long way from Bermuda. All of this of course is conjecture as the bird in question is almost certainly not an arctic warbler!

Going NE an Artctic Warbler would be in Greenland not a place to find insects in winter

As has been suggested already, the closest 'fit' for this bird does appear to be Greenish Warbler, but there is a feeling of Arctic about it. This may be something to do with the head pattern and bill colour. Two-barred Greenish shares some similarities with Arctic Warbler in these respects ... in both, the supercilium often starts some way back from the bill, above the lores (whereas the supercilia tend to meet over the culmen in Greenish), while the bill of Two-barred can look slightly longer than on Greenish (and, like Arctic Warbler, the lower mandible can be entirely yellowish). The legs can look dull greyish, paler only on the feet. Obviously the stumbling point is that it doesn't actually show double wing-bars, but maybe that is connected with the plumage state/moult stage?

I was wondering if the rather thin GC edges were broad enough for TBG- I've never seen one, but they always strike me as being rather strongly tipped in photos....

Though this all hinges on the GCs of the Bermuda beird being new!

It would - not a good idea - but if an arctic warbler that was going to migrate SW from Alaska to SE Asia reverse migrated 180 degrees in the wrong direction, NE is the way it would go.

It would - not a good idea - but if an arctic warbler that was going to migrate SW from Alaska to SE Asia reverse migrated 180 degrees in the wrong direction, NE is the way it would go.

Reverse migration I have always understood is i.e Yellow-browed Warbler majority go South-East but some go SW and occur on the East Coast of Britain on passage I thought that was the perception of Reverse migration, I thought that was common knowledge amongst birders.
It's appears to be a survival strategy, why put all your eggs in one basket as the old saying goes.

Reverse migration I have always understood is i.e Yellow-browed Warbler majority go South-East but some go SW and occur on the East Coast of Britain on passage I thought that was the perception of Reverse migration, I thought that was common knowledge amongst birders.
It's appears to be a survival strategy, why put all your eggs in one basket as the old saying goes.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_migration_(bird_migration)

No - it's where birds migrate (roughly) 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

There is a hint of that on one of the earlier photos (below). It would be funny if it was the end of a broadly tipped tertial that was growing!

A lot of people seem confident that this is a relatively large Phyllosc, but strangely I'd be less worried shape-wise if it were a YB/HYB W. The head pattern doesn't seem quite right and surely the emerging wing bar would be more prominent.... and going with what is there, the bright edges to the flight seem to go all the way to the GCs

Attachments

• Bermuda phyllosc.jpg
    Bermuda phyllosc.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_migration_(bird_migration)

No - it's where birds migrate (roughly) 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

Yes they originally start off in the wrong direction then move south that's why Palla's Warbler, Yellow-Browed Warbler, Greenish Warbler are found on the East coast of Britain in Autumn in most numbers, then are recorded in places like Spain suggesting they are moving south.
If they continued migrating North West you would have numbers being found on the Scottish Western isles, some making it to the Faero islands, and you would expect vagrant records in Iceland.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back