• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

when is Annas fledging expected (1 Viewer)

dv corey

New member with question-

I have had 1 or 2 Annas for the last 2 years at my window feeder year round in Seattle.
A few days ago i saw what I think is a fledgling in a nearby tree being mouth fed from the adult who just left my feeder.

This seems early to me, but I'm not knowledgable about hummingbirds.

Last edited:
dv corey said:
New member with question-

I have had 1 or 2 Annas for the last 2 years at my window feeder year round in Seattle.
A few days ago i saw what I think is a fledgling in a nearby tree being mouth fed from the adult who just left my feeder.

This seems early to me, but I'm not knowledgable about hummingbirds.

Not early at all. Anna's are known to nest in the winter months (all three nesting records we have in the state of Texas are between November 1 and February 28).

i'm here in Salem oregon. we had humming bird feeder last summer but no hummingbirds came. not sure why. but maybe we got the wrong hummingbirds feeder. we still have it i should take a picture of it and show it to the group. any suggestions.

It's always frustrating when someone a few miles away brags about all the hummers they get, when you don't get any. But that's the way it is! I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your choice of feeders. You're not getting any birds because they're aren't any! The birds are not uniformly distributed within their range. People living in rural situations or who at least have significant wild habitat nearby will get more hummers than those in the suburbs.

Curtis Croulet said:
It's always frustrating when someone a few miles away brags about all the hummers they get, when you don't get any. But that's the way it is! I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your choice of feeders. You're not getting any birds because they're aren't any! The birds are not uniformly distributed within their range. People living in rural situations or who at least have significant wild habitat nearby will get more hummers than those in the suburbs.

Migration paths may have something to do with that. Also perhaps the terrain and vegetation. Just my 2 cents worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back