• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rawshooter and Canon 400D raw files: problems? Solution! (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello,
since I heard a few complaints among Rawshooter users with the new 400D (pc crashes etc), I think it may be helpful to know that someone offered a potentially valid solution.
Here it's a part of the text found on DPReview written by the user PhotoHans (thank you!) ... haven't tried it myself, but it may be worth looking ...

I like working with Pixmantec Rawshooter very much. But since I bought my 400D, I wasn't able to use my favorite tool anymore...

However, after some experiments I found a way to use it again for my 400D Raw photographs.

The solution involves to steps:

- You have to use DNG files. Download Adobe DNG converter 3.6 (only this version can convert .CR2 files from a 400D!) from Adobe and convert the raw .CR2 file (from your 400D) to .DNG using the converter.

- Make a copy of RAWSHOOTER.EXE and open the copy in an ASCII editor (like Codewright or Crimson). Find and replace the text '350D' with '400D' and save the copy. Make sure the new file has EXACTLY the same number of bytes as the original.

Now start running the new version of RawShooter you've just created. It will 'see' all your .DNG files you've just converted. ;-)

It Works! ;-)

Greetings
PhotoHans

That's cool, Max!

I'm bookmarking this on the assumption that RSE won't support my next camera when I upgrade down the line - I'd miss RSE, so if I can find a workaround, great.

Hi Max,

I am using Rawshooter Premium which opens my 20D & 5D raw files no problem, but not my wife's 400D files as you know. I also like using Rawshooter so I thought I would try what you suggested.

However, when I opened the Rawshooter .exe file in Crimson ASCII editor, everything is in symbols rather than plain text so I am guessing that the file is encryted. Therefore I cannot find & replace '350' with '400' as suggested.
Is there any way of showing the plain text that you know of?

Regards,
Adrian

Hi Max,

Sorry, I didn't read your post thoroughly. I have just noticed that you said you haven't tried the fix yourself.

I will try and find the user 'PhotoHans' on DPReview and see if he has a suggestion.

I tried and failed to do this too, Adrian, and for the same reason.

Keep us informed about what Hans says, please - I''d love to be able to use RSE with my 40D.

This sounds odd because RAWSHOOTER.EXE is a binary executable file, not text - which is why it looks like garbage in your text editor. It should be possible to find plain text in some executables, but knowing how complex software development is, I really don't think messing like this is going to give you a stable product...

...but, that said, did you try searching for the text? I haven't got RawShooter so can't help directly.

Keith, your situation may not work at all - 40D has less characters than 350D, so this will cause issues if you can get the change to work. Maybe try finding and changing 20D instead?

I have finally got it working OK. The problem was with the editor software I was using, I finally tried PSPad and that worked fine.

Using the 'PSPad' editor you have to set it to search for '350' and 'text' not 'symbol'. (I know it sounds obvious but it caught me out) Then as it searches the right hand column where the symbols are (not the code on the left), it will find 350D in the right-hand section.
Change the 350 to 400 and it will alter the code automatically. Keep searching and each time it finds 350 replace with 400 (even '350S' must be changed to '400S' or it won't work) It found 5 items to be changed on mine, but just keep searching until it says 'string not found'.
Then save and close. It should now work OK.

I think you are right Mark, for the 40D just search for 20D and replace the 20 with 40 each time.

Mine now reads my .CR2 files from the 20D, 5D and .DNG files from the wife's 400D after they have been converted from .CR2.

Hi Mark,

I actually tried to edit the file in a hex editor - I can make RSE see that there are "40D" files in the folder and open thumbnails for 'em, but the thumbnail then corrupts much like 30D files would do if you opened them in the last-but-one version of RSE.

That said, I'm encouraged by Adrian's post, so in I go again! I don't think I've got PSPad (which sounds like a hex editor too, based on Adrian's comments), so I'll get hold of a copy of that first.

;)

Last edited:
It isn't, Mark.

Unfortunately the latest release of the Adobe DNG converter (the one that allegedly supports the 40D) doesn't come as a stand-alone like the previous version, but only as a PS plug-in, and I don't use PS...

I guess that is why it won't work in RSE then - thats a real bummer...

...and there I was thinking Adobe were doing the right thing with the DNG convertor - obviously not any more.

Lightroom it is then ;)

I've downloaded that zip file about 6 times now, Mono - no exe file in it - but I've tried again this morning, lo and behold, there's the stand-alone!

I wonder if they originally forgot to pack the zip file properly?

Last edited:
Nope, that version still won't convert 40D files - I've just tested it.

I think Adobe are mucking up their version control here: on Sunday there was definitely no stand-alone in the latest DNG converter zip, and the file size was 3.2mb.

Today the download is 6mb, and there's a stand-alone - but 40D files throw up a parse error and no conversion, exactly what the previous stand-alone does with 40D files.

Attachments

• 40D DNG.jpg
    40D DNG.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 137
Keith,

I don't know whether you are having problems with stuff coming from your internet cache, but I just downloaded the DNG converter from the link above and a sample 40D CR2 file http://www.jirvana.com/raw_large/Canon_40D/070940D_0315.CR2 and it converted it first go!

Have you checked the version number on the DNG converter by clicking the About button. The one I just downloaded was defiantly 4.2.

Hope you resolve your problems soon.

Mono

Oh, it's not really a problem, Mono.

The version I've got is 4.2.0.14.

Downloaded it again with a different browser (therefore no cache issues) - same parse errors.

But - I've just remembered that they're sRAW files - maybe that makes a difference.

I'm off out now, but I'll try with a "normal" RAW later.

Last edited:
You beat me to it Keith - I was going to mention the sRAW thing! I wonder how long it takes the mainstream convertors to support sRAW.

Bibble does already, Mark.

Anyhoo, I'm loading a card of full RAW files as we speak - we'll see what happens next...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back