• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (14 Viewers)

With things a bit quiet on the reserve at the moment had time to finally complete the breeding survey . Attachment shows the minimum number of pairs for each species. The young raised is much easier to quantify for wetland species but almost impossible for passerines so apart from willow warbler ( which bred for the first time in many years) I have put a ? , suffice to say that young of all the passerines species were seen.

A couple of notable missing species were: Cettis warbler, that were all lost in the winter and Redshank, which if memory serves me well, 2011 will be the first year that no attempt was made, owing to there being only 1 bird present.
B :)John

Great work John - the product of months of dedicated observation and note-taking. Will incorporate this data into the text of the annual report. My only query would be for GC Grebe; whilst I know there were multiple attempts I thought there were 3 pairs??

Great work John - the product of months of dedicated observation and note-taking. Will incorporate this data into the text of the annual report. My only query would be for GC Grebe; whilst I know there were multiple attempts I thought there were 3 pairs??

Phil You are probably correct on that one. I wasn't sure if the unsuccessful bird that sat on the 'old' raft for weeks on end, was the same one that nested on the old crescent island? I will settle for 3 prs then, also there were non-breeders as well.

Phil You are probably correct on that one. I wasn't sure if the unsuccessful bird that sat on the 'old' raft for weeks on end, was the same one that nested on the old crescent island? I will settle for 3 prs then, also there were non-breeders as well.

Think at the same time that the first pair had chicks and the second pair was at the old crescent island, a third pair attempted in the reeds behind the old tern raft.

Visit to the Flashes early afternoon:

6 Curlew, 2 Snipe, 3 LBB, 100+ BHG, 1 Heron, 3 Buzzard, 1 Peregrine, 1 House Martin, 6 Stock Doves, c25 Goldfinch, 3 Linnet.

There were of course some ducks on the 1st Flash but they were difficult to identify at that angle and in that light. Sorry.

Peter

On visit to the Moors this evening seen one Little Egret feeding on east side of pool before flying off to sailing lake area.

Also at the Moors as well as the Little egret were: Teal 30, shoveler 5, 205 coot.
At the Flashes: in car park 20 Meadow pipits flew south, On the pools were: little grebe, 25 teal (from Moors), 31 Curlew, 2 green sand, 40 Lapwing and 202 BHG roosted.
Also 2 foxes in the 3rd flash grass, the shooting at the Edy continued ...sussed what is going on I have a plan:smoke:
A bit of good news was that the curlew and lapwings washed and roosted in and around the new 'central' channel.

Last edited:
I have received some ringing information from John Sirrett, which he obtained from the BTO, regarding a B H Gull seen at Upton on the 2nd March 2011. The gull (20C9) was rung as a nestling on the 7th June 2010 at Hosehill Lake, West Berkshire. I will forward the full information to Phil for the purposes of the 2011 report.

TODAY'S HIGHLIGHTS (which are few).

FLASHES:
Yellow Wag (2) in transmitter field-----------Siskin (8) over.
Meadow Pipit---------------------------------- Snipe(1)
Green Sand (1)--------------------------------Little Grebe (3rd Flash)
Raven

MOORS:
Teal (36)---------------------------------------Shoveler (8)
Lapwing (c70)---------------------------------Mute Swan (6)
Little Grebe------------------------------------Snipe(3)

SAILING POOL:
Grey Wag.

Des.

When I walked down the path towards the Tower Hide at about 7.15 on Wednseday morning the cows in the transmitter field were grazing quite close to the fence and I saw 3 Yellow Wagtails (see record shot below).

Now that the Long-toed Stint/Least Sandpiper appears to have flown from the reservoir in East Sussex I will be heading for UW early tomorrow morning. hoping to unearth something of a similar magnitude:-O:t:;)

Attachments

• 3 Yellow Wagtails.jpg
    3 Yellow Wagtails.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Yellow Wagtail.JPG
    Yellow Wagtail.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Snipe.jpg
    Snipe.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 79
Nice Yellow Wag Shot Andy, and Snipe. I got my first Snipe Photo's Monday but have not had time to do owt with em yet.

Last edited:
Today's Highlights

Flashes:

Snipe(2), Teal(11), BHG(100+), Peregrine(1 on transmitter mast).

2 Green Sands were also reported and a Grey Wagtail at the Sailing Pool. No Yellow Wags were seen in the Transmitter field.

Moors Pool:

Little Egret(1), Gadwall(1 drake), Greylags(3), Teal(29), Shoveler(14), Little Grebe(2), GC Grebe(4), Lapwing(81), Kingfisher(2), Buzzard(3), Sparrowhawk(2), Water Rail(1).

Attachments

• Little Egret.jpg
    Little Egret.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 62

Users who are viewing this thread

Back