• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull help please (1 Viewer)

Come on Ian, this is gulls we're talking about here! Not just some flippant topic. Men and women have died for our right to discuss the merits of attenuated rears and bulbous breasts. This country didn't go through two World Wars not to have the right to spend hours looking for one single gull with a fractionally paler mantle amongst 25,000 similar looking things.

Hi Ian et al,
Ian Peters said:
I am amazed that we had a page or so of vitriolic exchanges. My view that from the images we had herring gull and that was just my opinion but it seems some other people were determined to "have their way". Should it not be that we are as helpful as possible and leave it at that? Discuss the merits and shortcomings of an idea sure enough but is it really necessary to be proved right. I have noticed this on a couple of ID threads and I hope this is not a case of trying to rubbish someone else's ID skills because that would be nothing short of childish and totally unhelpful to the person asking. Truce?
For the record,I feel that I have to comment here,for fear that my intentions have been misunderstood.If I were to base my thoughts on the bird solely on the available pics,I would have possibly called it a Herring Gull,as the legs seemed pinkish,and features such as mantle shade etc can be very difficult to evaluate,either from photos or in the field.
The fact that I didn't is based largely on two things:
1)I know Tristan through correspondence,and if he thinks it may have been a Yellow-legged Gull then it surely WOULDN'T be a (typical?) Herring Gull(argenteus/argentatus),as he is a competent birder.
2)Even if the observer were unknown to me even by reputation,the written description provided mentioned yellowish legs and the impression of an attenuated rear end,two features that don't really come across well in THESE particular pics.
With regard to the above,it must be stressed that,in many cases,video footage and photographs/digital images are an extremely valuable record of the appearance of a bird,and one only has to look at the hundreds of good and not so good images that allow one to identify the bird conclusively.In this case,however,we have a bird that,at the best of times,needs to be identified with caution,especially outside of the key areas of occurrence.Tristan knows this,and wouldn't have posted the pics and described what he saw otherwise.Unfortunately,the best feature to conclusively rule out Herring x LBB Gull(i.e.the pattern of the spread wing) is not visible in these shots.
I also concede that a few pics may have helped when I failed to call that pale 1st-w smithsonianus Herring Gull at Dingle last Feb,as I could have forwarded these to more experienced birders than myself,but yet my comments cautioning against basing an ID solely on the pics(at least in this case,where some features were at variance with what the observers saw in the field) were taken by some to show my opposition to photos/videograbs etc,which is certainly not the case.
Apologies to anyone who I may have offended,but I certainly refuse to apologise for stressing the importance of a good set of field notes,even in this age of digital photography.
Harry

Ian
"Truce"
ALL that needs said about this gull has been summarised & concluded quite elequantly by Harry et al, so your 'truce' is un-necessary & too late.

If your talking about Benji & Stephen Dunstan then its even less necessary.
If a relative newcommer comes on an id thread & is flippantzzzzzz then he's gonna get told by someone.......
If the ID of the bird was taking place in the field & "he" had the temerity to come out with "this is boring"
then he'd either be stood talking the the wrong group of people or he'd get told (by me, anyway) in no un-certain terms to 'get lost'.

Jason/Stephen, im pleased you enjoyed my 'poem', i hope you could picture the scene. I may try & get rid of the Spannish Seagull & German Duck in a later version, with a 'propper' ending

Stevie.

Harry Hussey said:
Apologies to anyone who I may have offended,but I certainly refuse to apologise for stressing the importance of a good set of field notes,even in this age of digital photography.
Harry

I don't think anyone was offended as such but there was a distinct lack of smileys...

tom mckinney said:
Come on Ian, this is gulls we're talking about here! Not just some flippant topic. Men and women have died for our right to discuss the merits of attenuated rears and bulbous breasts. This country didn't go through two World Wars not to have the right to spend hours looking for one single gull with a fractionally paler mantle amongst 25,000 similar looking things.

...see what I mean! ;)

I am just a bit alarmed that page 3 turned into a slanging match and as such, my comments were not aimed at any one person. It was not so bad as forum threads go but I don't think certain people exactly covered themselves in glory with their replies. :C

StevieEvans said:
If your talking about Benji & Stephen Dunstan then its even less necessary.
If a relative newcommer comes on an id thread & is flippantzzzzzz then he's gonna get told by someone.......

Stevie.

My humblest apologies that I have not got computer access 24/7 and missed the thread exchanges (yes, I am being sarcastic and I make no apologies). Think of it this way, I had to plough through a complete page of tripe just to find the interesting comments on this thread.

Hi Ian,
Ian Peters said:
I don't think anyone was offended as such but there was a distinct lack of smileys...
Sorry about that!Will this suffice? ;) ;) ;) B :) :eat: :bounce: ;) ;)
(apologies for sarcasm!)

I am just a bit alarmed that page 3 turned into a slanging match and as such, my comments were not aimed at any one person. It was not so bad as forum threads go but I don't think certain people exactly covered themselves in glory with their replies. :C
Oh,you should hear what goes on when the identity of a bird is being discussed in the field sometimes!Makes that look mild....;)
Harry

Ian Peters said:
I am amazed that we had a page or so of vitriolic exchanges. My view that from the images we had herring gull and that was just my opinion but it seems some other people were determined to "have their way". Should it not be that we are as helpful as possible and leave it at that? Discuss the merits and shortcomings of an idea sure enough but is it really necessary to be proved right. I have noticed this on a couple of ID threads and I hope this is not a case of trying to rubbish someone else's ID skills because that would be nothing short of childish and totally unhelpful to the person asking. Truce?

Erm, Ian, just a couple of 'minor' points:

1) The e-mail you have latched on to was praising a comic poem by Steve with no malice in it, so you have picked the wrong target. Jason also liked the poem and said so.

2) All I have done in this thread is defend Tristan from some unnecessary comments directed his way.

Regards,

Stephen.

Stephen Dunstan said:

1) The e-mail you have latched on to was praising a comic poem by Steve with no malice in it, so you have picked the wrong target. Jason also liked the poem and said so.

2) All I have done in this thread is defend Tristan from some unnecessary comments directed his way.

Regards,

Stephen.

When I said e-mail I meant thread number, apologies.

I think i stayed out of the 'vitreolic' bit of it and i hope i didn't offend anyone?

also hope no one think their 'id skills' were being rubbished by me either. I didn't even go for any definite id for reasons myself and Harry gave. Pointing out the limitations of the exercise isn't having a pop at anyone.... and not expressing that opinion cos some people might take it as slight isn't really an option either. As long as it's said without being rude. I think we must be reasonably thick-skinned and if someone's downright rude like Benji - ignore it.

wading in and calling stuff from dodgy pix and contrary descriptions is what will get you labelled by some people (not me as i don't care enough please note!!!) as 'trigger happy' though

Love n peace all round
Monkey Boy Tim

l

Stephen Dunstan said:

Regards,

Stephen.

1. I was not aware that I named anyone - it just p***ed me off to have to read through a load of rot for what was otherwise a good thread. Steve's poem was not a factor in my comments and neither was Jason's comments.

2. Exactly! It should not have been necessary to do so but like I said, there seems a bit of a tendency to "want to be right" when it comes to IDs. No problem with this approach in the field because decisions sometimes have to be made quick but there does not seem any point doing that here. Someone is not necessarily a good birder to have proved the ID of a bird but neither are they are bad birder for getting it wrong. No matter what I say it will still happen, but there is no real place for elitism in birding.

Ian,

You put a quote from me in a box above what you said. If that wasn't meant to name or implicate me then it was probably a mistake to do it.

I think we are coming from the same direction and as far as I'm concerned it is all finished. I still think Stevie's poem was funny...

Stephen.

Tim Allwood said:
Pointing out the limitations of the exercise isn't having a pop at anyone.... and not expressing that opinion cos some people might take it as slight isn't really an option either. As long as it's said without being rude. I think we must be reasonably thick-skinned and if someone's downright rude like Benji - ignore it.

wading in and calling stuff from dodgy pix and contrary descriptions is what will get you labelled by some people (not me as i don't care enough please note!!!) as 'trigger happy' though

l
Thanks Tim, that is probably saying what I meant far better than I did. I gave my opinion on what I thought the images showed but that no way reflects that I thought Tristan or anyone else was wrong to decide on YLG. In fact, the thread has been so interesting that I have kept dipping in and out to see what people thought.

I guess the truce failed then.

It's tense business this ID stuff, eh? At least it shows we all really care...

... about gulls (how sad!)

Tomosopoulos Mcropopopopopopopoulopoulos.

Stephen Dunstan said:
Ian,

You put a quote from me in a box above what you said. If that wasn't meant to name or implicate me then it was probably a mistake to do it.

I think we are coming from the same direction and as far as I'm concerned it is all finished. I still think Stevie's poem was funny...

Stephen.

OK fair enough, in that context I see why people jumped on me for my comment and apologies for that part. I did not want to reply to Benji direct because I managed to upset someone last week for pointing out that a post was inflamatory. Everyone started saying things about misunderstandings of translation on that thread and I have read today another thread (I stayed out of that one) where the same thing is happening and that made me wary of posting directly at Benji.

Hi Ian,
Ian Peters said:
2. Exactly! It should not have been necessary to do so but like I said, there seems a bit of a tendency to "want to be right" when it comes to IDs. No problem with this approach in the field because decisions sometimes have to be made quick but there does not seem any point doing that here. Someone is not necessarily a good birder to have proved the ID of a bird but neither are they are bad birder for getting it wrong. No matter what I say it will still happen, but there is no real place for elitism in birding.
I hope that you will remember that,as things stand,I haven't actually contradicted the proposed ID as Yellow-legged Gull,merely pointed out the difficulties inherent in proving this.As I said,if this was an obvious michahellis with bright yellow legs etc then the pics would never have been posted to the identification section,as Tristan would have known what it was.
I have no pathological need to be 'right' in cases such as this,and indeed have often learned a lot from being wrong!I take field ID very seriously,and try to weigh up the available evidence,always with the proviso that my original call may well have been incorrect.I am glad that you state that 'neither are they are bad birder for getting it wrong.',as I have often been wrong,and will be again....
I really hope that I'm not one of those that you class as being 'elitist'?I am always willing to recognise my own limitations in the field,and will share what I know with others,as I in turn often learn from them.Will talk to ANYONE who has a genuine interest in birds,whether that be cutting edge ID or someone who feeds the ducks in the local park,or anything in between.
All the best,
Harry

Oh God there's a gull sp outside the window.

It's got one leg so I guess its either Larus monopodensis or Larus longjohnsilverensis. Mantle colour navy blue with parrot on left shoulder.

Looks good for longjohnsilverensis. Oh no! It's only got one eye. It must be a Fellatio Nelson Gull Larus fellatioensis.

After that recent paper in BW (Garnish, Svordfish, Mullofkintyre et al...), about Fellatio Gulls in the Baltic that can actually have one leg, I'd best double check all the features.

*Telescope in breast pocket.
*Desire to conquer Europe.
*Once in a lifetime migration to St.Helena.

YESSSSSSS!!!!! A British first.

***MEGA ALERT*** 3rd summer 4th month hermaphrodite Fellatio Gull, Manchester feeding in rotting kebab box. Please view only from the bench with all the tramps drinking White Lighnting and gin.

Hi Tom,
I have since been told(Mullofkintyre pers.comm.) that the desire to conquer Europe has also been shown to be a feature of other large gull sp,in particular Napoleon's Gull(Larus theotherbonapartensis),but this species has only occurred as far as Belgium(Waterloo),and is an unlikely vagrant.
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back