• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdjournal v4 vs Irecord (1 Viewer)

Stuart Goodwin

Evening all.

I am debating whether to upgrade from version 3 of the Birdjournal software to version 4 or to use Irecord solely.

A lot of the functionality of Birdjournal seems to be in Irecord and it's free (although you run the risk of rejected records). What have others done?

Regards

I bought Birdjournal V2.5 some years ago for a one off payment. Now they tell me that my version will only store a data file up to 2gb because of a bug in the program. Something they didn't tell me when I purchased. Because I have reached that size of file my stand alone journal is now rendered useless. They have told me I can have a one year free subscription to their new version 4. Then after that I have to pay £35 a year to use version 4. So ... to answer your question I will probably go to Irecord next year. Solely because I feel a bit miffed that because of their bug I have to pay £35 a year. They say version 4 can record from multiple country's but I don't need that. I just needed what I bought.

Hi John,

Just to confirm, you also have a 1/3 discount for the first three years after the free year.

My apologies for the bug. It was first identified after version 3 was already launched, and we no longer have the ability to update version 2. We're happy to get you set up on version 3 if you prefer, just send us an email.

Best wishes,

Justin

Hi Justin, thank you for a speedy reply. What is the maximum file size with version 3? Is it a one off payment and if so what is the cost?

Yes, photos are what make a database file grow, observations alone are very compact.

@John: There is no maximum file size with versions 3 or 4, as it wasn't an intentional limit and we fixed the bug in those versions.

I've emailed you regarding getting up and running on version 3.

I feel I must post here again on this subject. I have been a very happy customer of Bluebird Technologies for some time now and I feel I must have had my wires crossed here. I must admit I did find it odd that the file had reached capacity and all was lost. I was quickly offered an alternative and up and running again. What I didn't realise or grasp was that there were also different options available to me through Bluebird Technologies. This was quickly resolved again today by the team there. So ... to answer your question again Sandy ... stick with Bluebird. The upgrade limit was an unknown bug and removed on the next version. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back