• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First day at Nature Reserve........ (1 Viewer)

El Annie

Phew..............
Today made first visit to nature reserve where I'm hoping to train to become a ringer and also hoping to become involved as a volunteer in the other aspects of the reserve.

A bit about the reserve..........

First discovery was it's whereabouts and it's name!! The reserve is on Ministry of Defence land at Catterick Garrison and is called Foxglove Covert. There's a bit of info about it on the web, but basically Foxglove first became a nature reserve in 1992 when the MOD set aside the land for conservation. Since then this area of land has been transformed into a wildlife haven with over 700 recorded species of plants, birds, butterflies and other animals. In April 2001 Richmondhsire District Council declared Foxglove as a Local Nature Reserve, it is the first LNR on MOD property.

The reserve is spread over about 70 acres with a number of different habitats and a marked trail. It has a brand new purpose built centre within which is the ringing centre itself.
Unfortunately, for security reasons Foxglove is not an open access reserve and access is by prior arrangement only - details available on 01748 875504.

Our task today...................

We met with a Defence Estates Scientist to commence a mammal survey. We learned how to set up the traps, check them, identify and record anything captured within and re-set them. They will be moved around to various habitats and checked twice a day for the next 9 days on a rota basis by reserve volunteers.

First impressions........

I loved it can't wait to get back there on Sunday, learn a bit more about it, empty some of those traps (hopefully without getting lost!!) and maybe get to see my first ringing :)

El Annie :D

Congratulations El Annie it sounds like you had a great first visit :bounce:
I found a couple of references to the reserve on the web but nothing in any detail. At least being where it is, the wildlife shouldn't be unduly disturbed, except for the occasional tank rumbling past ;)
You'll have to keep us all posted about what you see.
Good luck for the weekend :t:

Well done El.
You were looking forward to it so much and I'm really glad it lived up to your expectations!
Keep us informed of your exploits!

paj:t:

Hello!
Just a quick note to pass on some advice I was given when I mentioned to soemone that i hope to get involved in ringing at some point in the nearish future. He said that identifying birds in the hand is very different to identifying brids in a bush so to be sure that I kept up both interests so as to be good at both. He said tat it's very easy to become good at one method at the cost of the other.
I wouldn't know as I haven't started down the ringing road yet (currently preferring the survey road) but this was what was advised and perhaps you might find it useful!
Good luck and have fun at your job
Gill:bounce:

Hi El

I am a brand new member and read with great interest your piece regarding Foxglove Covert. It can't get much better than starting up on an almost virgin site. Anything could be there. Have a great time and I think that more than a few birders would love to be in your shoes.

Regards
John J

Thank you John for your interest :) It is a remarkable place and I feel very privilaged to be involved with it!!

El Annie:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back