• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caterpillar id please? (1 Viewer)

pauliev69

Proud Smoggie
Hi
can anyone confirm or correct my id please Large Yellow Underwing
Cheers
PaulV ;)

Attachments

• MOTHCATERPILLARLARGEYELLOWUNDERWING.jpg
    MOTHCATERPILLARLARGEYELLOWUNDERWING.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 100
  • MOTHCATLYU2.jpg
    MOTHCATLYU2.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 107
pauliev69 said:
Hi
can anyone confirm or correct my id please Large Yellow Underwing
Cheers
PaulV ;)
I fancy it is a Large Yellow Underwing Paul, markings very similar to that in my Guide book I have. Rod.

Oops, false, definitely not LYU!

It is either Heart and Dart, or Turnip Moth, and I am not absolutely certain which, as they are bloody hard to deferentiate between, and I don't yet have enough experience with them both.

I enclose Heart and Dart from eggs this year, so a positive identified source. Sorry I can't be more specific, maybe someone else can help from this point.

All the best and cheers to all of you B :) B :) B :)

Jim

PS LYU attached now too.

Attachments

• Heart and Dart 26mm 11.07.06 2.jpg
    Heart and Dart 26mm 11.07.06 2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 701 3875 Noctua pronuba, Large Yellow Underwing Raglitz ca. (18.09.05).jpg
    701 3875 Noctua pronuba, Large Yellow Underwing Raglitz ca. (18.09.05).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Wandered Scot said:
Oops, false, definitely not LYU!

It is either Heart and Dart, or Turnip Moth, and I am not absolutely certain which, as they are bloody hard to deferentiate between, and I don't yet have enough experience with them both.

I enclose Heart and Dart from eggs this year, so a positive identified source. Sorry I can't be more specific, maybe someone else can help from this point.

All the best and cheers to all of you B :) B :) B :)

Jim

PS LYU attached now too.
Looks like you are spot-on there Jim, many thanks for what looks like a positive id
Strangely enough Heart and Dart and Turnip are species never encountered while trapping
Cheers
PaulV ;)

The Raptor said:
I fancy it is a Large Yellow Underwing Paul, markings very similar to that in my Guide book I have. Rod.
Many thanks for your input Rod, looks like we were both wrong!
Cheers
PaulV ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back