• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonflies ID SW Turkey (1 Viewer)

Atricapilla

Still Wandering
Here are a few more from today,I will attempt to ID ,but help obviously needed.
1. Violet Dropwing~female.
2. Southern darter ~female.
3. Keeled skimmer ~ male.

Attachments

• darter dropwing.jpg
    darter dropwing.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 41
  • unknownyet.jpg
    unknownyet.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 43
  • skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 39
Hi Bob

1. Green-eyed Hawker Aeshna isoceles male
2. Black-tailed Skimmer Orthetrum cancellatum immature male
3. Black-tailed Skimmer Orthetrum cancellatum more mature male

A few pointers

Violet dropwings are small dragonflies - darter sized - with red over blue eyes. Keeled Skimmers sometimes get a little black at the end of the abdomen but are usually all blue. Immature male Skimmers usually have female colouration - checking the appendages at the end of the abdomen and looking for the secondary genitalia (or not) under S2/S3 help to sort out the sexes.

HTH, Paul

Hi Bob

1. Green-eyed Hawker Aeshna isoceles male
2. Black-tailed Skimmer Orthetrum cancellatum immature male
3. Black-tailed Skimmer Orthetrum cancellatum more mature male

A few pointers

Violet dropwings are small dragonflies - darter sized - with red over blue eyes. Keeled Skimmers sometimes get a little black at the end of the abdomen but are usually all blue. Immature male Skimmers usually have female colouration - checking the appendages at the end of the abdomen and looking for the secondary genitalia (or not) under S2/S3 help to sort out the sexes.

HTH, Paul

Thanks Paul,can't wait for my books to arrive,will have more idea then ,hopefully!!!

Just out of curiosity, which books have you ordered?
Here are the two that have been recommended to me:~
Field Guide to the Dragonflies of Britain, Europe and North Africa by Jacques d'Aguilar, Jean-Louis Dommanget and Rene Prehac
Field Guide to the Dragonflies of Britain and Europe by Klaas-Douwe B Dijkstra and Richard Lewington
Can you recommend any others.

Last edited:
Field Guide to the Dragonflies of Britain, Europe and North Africa by Jacques d'Aguilar, Jean-Louis Dommanget and Rene Prehac
Field Guide to the Dragonflies of Britain and Europe by Klaas-Douwe B Dijkstra and Richard Lewington
Can you recommend any others.

I have a copy of Dijkstra - it's excellent. I've not come across the other one, and my main reason for asking was curiosity as to what there might be other than Dijkstra!

For the UK species the Wildguides book "Britain's Dragonflies" by Dave Smallshire is very good, but it's strong point is the tables comparing features of similar species, which is only really useful in the UK.

I have a copy of Dijkstra - it's excellent. I've not come across the other one, and my main reason for asking was curiosity as to what there might be other than Dijkstra!

For the UK species the Wildguides book "Britain's Dragonflies" by Dave Smallshire is very good, but it's strong point is the tables comparing features of similar species, which is only really useful in the UK.

Cheers SA,sounds good, will have a look at that later;I going to need all the help I can get by the look of things.

Hi Bob
Although it doesnt cover your area, this book could be of interest to you. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragonflies-Eastern-Province-Southwest-Turkey/dp/9750196317 At the very least it will give you more of an idea of what could turn up in your region. I spent a very pleasant fortnight based in Dalyan several years back looking for odonata etc & met up with the author on one day when he was still based in Fethiye.

Thanks Rob,I will get a copy,Fethiye is not that far along the coast really;glad you enjoyed your visit.

Hi Bob

Are you getting the French language 1998 edition
(Guide des libellules d'Europe et d'Afrique du Nord - Jacques D' Aguilar, Jean-Louis Dommanget ISBN-10: 2-603-01119-7 , ISBN-13: 978-2-603-01119-5)

and, if so, could you let us know where you got it - it's a book I've searched for and failed.

Hi Bob

Are you getting the French language 1998 edition
(Guide des libellules d'Europe et d'Afrique du Nord - Jacques D' Aguilar, Jean-Louis Dommanget ISBN-10: 2-603-01119-7 , ISBN-13: 978-2-603-01119-5)

and, if so, could you let us know where you got it - it's a book I've searched for and failed.

Hi Paul,
I managed to get hold of a hardback first edition(1986)London/Collins revised and translated.
Will let you know if I see a French copy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back