• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thereby hangs a tail (1 Viewer)

Dave B

Who do you think these belong to? Some fairly easy ones. All taken in South-east Asia and Australia.

Attachments

• tail1.jpg
    tail1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 160
  • tail2.jpg
    tail2.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 168
  • tail3.jpg
    tail3.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 169
  • tail4.jpg
    tail4.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 158
  • tail5.jpg
    tail5.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 142
Tim Allwood said:
1 Blue-tailed / Blue-throated Bee eater?
2 Superb Lyrebird
3?
4 is a swift of some kind... House Swift (A. affinis)
5 Greater Racket taied Drongo

Good work Tim,

1 is Blue-tailed Bee eater. Your other answers are also all correct, which only leaves number 3.

Attachments

• tail1a.jpg
    tail1a.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 153
  • tail2a.jpg
    tail2a.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 133
  • tail4a.jpg
    tail4a.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 157
  • tail5a.jpg
    tail5a.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Tim Allwood said:
any clues Dave?

Aus / SE Asian?

Tim

Hi - Dave seems to be otherwise occupied -

I have no idea what the bird is but he said they were all SE Asian/Australian. It appears to me to have trailing webbed feet when it flies - does that fit for some sort of cormorant? Barbara

BarbaraM said:
Hi - Dave seems to be otherwise occupied -

I have no idea what the bird is but he said they were all SE Asian/Australian. It appears to me to have trailing webbed feet when it flies - does that fit for some sort of cormorant? Barbara

Sorry, I was asleep over here! Clues? OK. You've probably both (Barbara and Tim) seen this species in your own country.

The apparent webbed foot is in fact worn/broken tail feathers, a common feature on this species at certain times of year. If I showed you a picture with unworn feathers, you'd certainly guess it!

Last edited:
Tim Allwood said:
Pom?

atb
Tim

That's the one! Pomarine Skua/Jaeger. Here's the bird, plus another with full spoons seen the same day, off Sydney, NSW, last October. They take a lot of beating in my book!

Cheers,

Dave

Attachments

• tail3a.jpg
    tail3a.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 160
  • tail3b.jpg
    tail3b.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 167
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back