• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpen Wings ED 8x42 Bino (1 Viewer)

lilcrazy2

United States
The little brown truck dropped a pair of these off on my doorstep this afternoon, and after messing around with them for a couple of hours, I figured I would post my initial impressions. It was late afternoon and since there is a storm coming, it alternated between bright sunshine and dark clouds every 15 minutes.

Alpen lists the specs on this model # 592 as ED flourite glass, PXA phase coating, fully multicoated and silver coating. They are open bridge design.
FOV: 393 ft @1000 yds
ER: 17mm
CF: 6.5 ft
Wgt: 21 oz

http://alpenoutdoor.com/html/binoculars.html

The binos come packed in a double zippered rubberized clamshell case with the binos held inside in a removeable fitted belt case with quick release elastic cords and snap. Once you take the binos out of the case, you have the option of leaving them in the belt case - haven't seen this on any other binos. Straps for case and binos, typical standard flexible occular rainguard, and tethered objective flip down covers which have ridges to secure inside as well as outside.

Build quality on these are excellent and they have a very substantial and solid feel. Alpen has always impressed me with their build quality, in addition to their optical quality, which is why I also own an 8x42 Apex and have gotten rid of the Zen ZRS HD, Legend Ultra HD, and Promaster Infinity Elite ELX-ED as well as many others.

The open bridge gives a very solid and balanced feel with the pinky and ring finger in the open area and the middle finger on the bottom end of the upper hinge with the index finger falling naturally on the focuser. At 5-5/8" tall this is one of the shorter open bridge ED binos

The focuser is buttery smooth with no backlash or hitches, and focuses counterclockwise to infinty. Focuser goes two full turns with close focus (6ft) to 20 ft taking about 1 full turn, and then 20 ft to infinity taking 1/2 turn, and then another half turn past infinity. Diopter adjustment is on right barrel, has the proper tension, and I noticed no shift in all the gyrations I put the binos thru. Eyecups twist up with positive locks at the mid & full up position and have a generous amount of ER for eyeglass wearers, and for those that don't wear glasses, they don't give the eye positioning problems that a lot of 8x42 binos do.

Optical performance was simply outstanding for a bino in this price range. CA was virtually non-existent in every test I put it thru. Flare and veiling glare were only very mildly detectable approaching the bottom of the sun on axis, but then the alphas have the same problem. The sharp useable sweetspot is about 80% with mild edge softening and field curvature which would be expected on a bino with a large 393 ft FOV in this price range. It far exceeds the 8x36 Legend Ultra HD that I was using as a side by side comparison

Alpen seems to have gotten it right with the introduction of this new ED glass bino. It far exceeds the more expensive and heavier Teton model I looked at last fall. After a couple of hours with this new bino, I can hardly wait for Alpens new ED compacts in 8x20 & 10x25 due out at the end of May.

Is it really only 21oz? Have weighed it? That would make it a "wide FOV ED Monarch"

How close to the sun (in degrees) before flare becomes apparent?

After a couple of hours with this new bino, I can hardly wait for Alpens new ED compacts in 8x20 & 10x25 due out at the end of May.

f they're made by the same OEM ( ;) ) but I'm interested in those too.

...The sharp useable sweetspot is about 80% with mild edge softening and field curvature which would be expected on a bino with a large 393 ft FOV in this price range. It far exceeds the 8x36 Legend Ultra HD that I was using as a side by side comparison.

Huh? The Bushnell 8x36 Legend Ultra HD spec indicates an ultrawide 426ft FoV. And if correct, this Alpen Wings at 393ft is only a relatively pedestrian 60° Apparent, barely warranting the "widefield" designation.

Anyway, your post is a little confusing since you seem to have only had a few hours with this while being able to do a side-by-side with a Bushnell Legend Ultra HD that you say you had already dumped for poor build quality. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Kevin
I posted the weight based on the published specs, but I thought they felt heavier than my Ultras yesterday. When I look at Alpens published specs for the ED Wings they say 21 oz. but the non-ED Wings say 23 oz, so the published weight is wrong
I just dragged the postage scale up from the basement and these weigh in at 24.5 oz with rainguard removed. Sorry bout the low ball on the weight, as I was in a hurry last night and just posted the weight from the spec sheet.

The glare did not become evident until you got right up under the sun on axis, or very slight to the side, which is what impressed me so much before on the cheaper Apex's. Even then, it is very well controlled. Since I am also a hunter, lack of glare is one of the 2 most important things that I look for in any bino, with the first being size of sweetspot. I can put up with a little CA and edge softness in any bino, but I can't abide glare. There is nothing worse than being stuck in a stand where your only view is directly into the setting sun.

Tom

Huh? The Bushnell 8x36 Legend Ultra HD spec indicates an ultrawide 426ft FoV. And if correct, this Alpen Wings at 393ft is only a relatively pedestrian 60° Apparent, barely warranting the "widefield" designation.

Anyway, your post is a little confusing since you seem to have only had a few hours with this while being able to do a side-by-side with a Bushnell Legend Ultra HD that you say you had already dumped for poor build quality. Hmmm.

I for one, have always felt that the obsession with an ultrawide FOV is somewhat spurious, particularly when you back it up into differences at 100 yds or 50 yds. So I should be concerned about a bino that lets me see an additional 1.5 ft on each side of the FOV at 100 yds? Not me.

I dumped the 8x42 Legend Ultra HD and still have my 8x36 Ultra HD, which I found to be superior. As others can vouch, the 8x42 Ultra HD has some ER issues for non eyeglass wearers, and I like the smaller size of the 8x36's. The list of other binos was only 8x42's, and I left others off that I have dumped. My comments were that the Alpen was better optically than the 8x36 Ultra HD, not that the FOV was better.

Hmmm.

Tom

Last edited:
No way. It's most certainly CDGM FK61 with an Abbe# ~81, an average ED classification. Other than the Takahashi 22x60, there are no true Fluorite objective lens binoculars.

Last edited:
CaF2 isn't a glass it's a crystal. If a marketer says "fluorite glass" it isn't CaF2 just a fluoroposphate crown glass of some sort.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back