• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wentwood forestry - Cadira Beeches (1 Viewer)

luke

A Welsh birder in Dorset!
This is the place to see Nighjars in the county. Gwent ornithological society run a walk annually at this site and every year get plenty of good veiws of nightjar. In a few years however this site will become to over grown but wentwood has numerous other sites for nightjars (i will update in years to come :-O ).

This is also good place to see tree pipit and woodcock which can be seen roding at the start of the summer. There are also plenty of other woodland species about including marsh tit and crossbills.

SO 422 949, for anyone whose interested.

Spot on. Nothing better than a seat in the middle of the forest listening and watching nightjars. Superb experience. Birding with a difference.

Hello Luke,

Got any directions, your map ref takes me to Shropshire somewhere (at least that's where Streetmap thinks it is).

Cheers

Nick

i do apologies about the grid ref, they have got it wrong on the gwent page. replace SO with ST and you'll be fine.

when you leave the car park, go past a sort of gate (one to stop cars) and the site is on you right, a little bit further down the track theres an opening which takes you into the middle of the clearing, best time is around june with the action kicking off about 9ish (but be there earlier), there are also a few other tracks about the forestry which could get you crossbill, marsh tit etc.

Last edited:
Ok i said i would update if the sites change and they have slightly this year. there are still birds at the previous site mentioned but a better veiwing place is now at ST432947.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back