• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kosovo? (1 Viewer)

dalat

Switzerland
Hi,
anyone has been birding in Kosovo or is aware of some info on sites to go?
Couldn't find anything on the usual websites (understandably for a small and new country).
Thanks, Florian

Henc, Kosovo

Hi,
My question for birding sites in Kosovo yielded no answer in birdforum and also nothing to be found on the numerious birding sites in the internet. The only thing I could find was a flickr-page with lots of birds and birdwatching Kosovars in it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/haxhinexha/

So I contacted the guy and received a friendly answer and invitation to join them for a birding morning. They run a birdwatching and nature protection club called "NGO Finch" and are based in Prizren. Very friendly people!

We went to a spot near the Airport of Pristina, which can be accessed via the villages of Henc (coming from Pristina) or Radevo (coming from Lipjan). There are some large old fishponds, partly dried out but some still holding water. Conditions at my visit were less than optimal, we arrived late in the morning and it was pretty hot. Still some nice birds there, e.g. Lapwings, Redshanks, Common Snipes, Hobby, Marsh Harrier, Little Grebes, Penduline Tits, Stonechats, Whinchats, Red-backed Shrikes, Little Gull, a Black Stork flying over etc.

I think it's definitly worth a visit, being so close to Pristina it makes an easy morning visit.

See map here.

I hope to join the Finch guys on other occassions and I'll try to keep posting more info on birding sites here (no subforum for Kosovo yet in the countries forum, perhaps that could be created by someone who knows how to do that?)

Florian

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back