• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Portugal (1 Viewer)

Richard Sims

Hi

we will be going to the very north of Portugal next week, visiting the mountains around Braganca for a few days, followed by Chaves, and then down to the coast near Caminha (right on the Spanish border) for 2 weeks. There are many reports and site locations for tghe south of the country, but I have not been able to find and location recommendations for the north.

Does anybody out there know of interesting locations themselves or have any links that they could recommend ?

Thanks

Richard

I asked a similar question last summer for my trip to the Caminha area and no-one had any information at all!

My trip wasn't a birding trip so I didn't spend much time looking for birds, but when I did get out for some walks in the hills dartford warblers were common, also rock buntings and nightjars. These were the only really interesting species I found. I was surprised by the lack of birds of prey, but I guess you will find them further inland near Braganca.

Good luck!

Hi Amarillo

thanks for the answer. It seems that nobody goes birding in the north of the country. We are surprised at least as far as the mountainous area in the north east is concerned as we expect, as you mentioned, to see some good BOPs up there.

We have a couple of small rock bunting populations near where we live in Germany but we have never actually seen them ourselves. All 3 species that you mentioned will be nice to see, even if 2 are not new to us.

Maybe we should post our observations and comments on one of the forums when we return in case anybody else goes birding in that area.

Thanks again.

Richard

Hi

The area is pretty good to birding in general, but for a northern European birder it really don’t offer much, actual it’s best for a Portuguese because it’s the only area in Portugal for yellowhammer and Red backed shrike and the best area for bullfinch and Tree pipit.
Rock butting should be easy and Rock thrush also in the mountains, but that it, must of the others species you can get in Germany.

However further east (about a hour from Bragança) everything change
http://translate.google.pt/translat...deportugal.info/sitdourointernac.html&act=url

It luck you can get the 3 vultures, all of the BOP’s except Spanish Imperial and lesser kestrel, but you can also get Borelli’s and Orphean warblers, black weather it’s also possibly in the rights places.

Hope that’s help.

North Portugal birding

I am also going to northern portugal in October on holiday with family. Any luck with the birding? Disappointed to hear that it doesn't appear to be a popular spot. Any tips?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back