• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland- mid to late september (1 Viewer)

Trystan

Hi,

I know there's just been a thread about crossbills at this time of year but I'm after a wider range of species including mammals. I will have about a week in mid to late September and would like to catch up mostly with ptarmigan, pine marten, mountain hare and probably unrealisitically, scottish wild cat.

Any locations offering good chances of these plus the crossbills, without too much driving in between (don't want to turn this into a driving holiday).

Many thanks.

Hi Trystan. I can remember speaking to a gent who I think ran wildlife tours. He mentioned a spot in the Findhorn valley which was good for mountain hares. From memory it's about half a mile before the car park. There's a bridge across the river which does NOT look safe enough for a car. The gap between the mountains is where he said he saw them regularly.

Rothiemurchus estate (apologies for the spelling) is probably your best bet for Pine Marten.

Good luck. I'm up there myself at the end of September. Be interesting to hear what you find.

Rich

I think the spot for mountain hares is up the Farr Road (the only road off the Findhorn Valley - about half way along and signed ). Just follow that road through the gates/plantations and out onto the moor).

Sandra

Hi Sandra. I know the road you mean and it's worth the drive in it's own right - bit scary when there's snow on the road though!!

The road I was mentioning was the road that goes up the Findhorn valley past the turn off to Farr. It's a dead end road with a car park at the end for bird watchers/ hikers. You can continue further up the valley but only on foot.

Rich

I am not sure either of those sites are reliable unless you know exactly where to look.

The Farr Road site is approximately one mile walk across the moorland - not sure how welcome you would be walking across the moor in grouse season - though you have right to roam so you should be fine. There are none by the Farr Road as they have all been shot (since 2007). The Findhorn site is also good, but requires some finding, and in Summer a walk up a large hill. This site is also keepered and the Hares are shot for bait for Stoat traps, which are present at the foot of the hill.

Lately I have known people have more success at layby 151. Depends how much effort you want to put in! Most of the hills on the back of the Monadliaths are good for Hare, but all require a few hours of walking. Glenshee can be good, but I have never really tried too hard there.

EDIT - both Hare sites have lots of Deer Ticks so take precautions.

Pine Marten - the hide as others have said
Ptarmigan - Cairngorms though please only go up in good weather and prepare for bad weather.

Last edited:
Oh yes, but I thought you meant a road off the Findhorn Valley Road, Rich. That track from the carpark goes on for ever but it's a great valley - only ever been as far as the hunting lodge. Never seen a hare up there but did see dead goats and kids that some guys were shooting - they hid them behind some rocks when they saw us in the distance and drove off.

S

not sure how welcome you would be walking across the moor in grouse season - though you have right to roam so you should be fine.

Provided that there isn't a shoot going on. The right to roam is a right of responsible access and disturbing a shoot could be considered irresponsible:

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/out-and-about/other-activities/shooting-and-fishing/shooting/

Some estates have pretty much eliminated mountain hares because of their perceived role as tick vectors for grouse. I quite often see roadkill mountain hares on the A939 Lecht road, but rarely see live ones during the day. Perhaps a night-time drive over this road would be productive.

Thanks everyone for the information. Anything more specific on the Ptarmigan, I visited the Cairngorms once before and had no luck. Anywhere particularly reliable?

Disappointed to hear that the hare's are persecuted, here's me wanting to get out and see something new and interesting while others are busy shooting them. I will follow up on your suggestions and let you know how I get on.

Is the findhorn valley road the one that leads south west out of findhorn bridge? Google maps is not being very helpful.

It appears to be 'properly' called Strathdearn, though everyone calls it Findhorn.

Streetmap

D

If you get to the end car park (west end of the road) and scan (this is the place for Goldies) south you will see a big hill. If you climb to the top of this you should see some Mountain Hare. Alternatively take the track West and then any of the tracks running north and if you climb to the top of these hills you will get Mountain Hare.

I have seen them near the river but not regularly.

Approximately 25,000 Hares are culled every year. Though I suspect there may be more shot.

Thanks everyone for the information. Anything more specific on the Ptarmigan, I visited the Cairngorms once before and had no luck. Anywhere particularly reliable?

Disappointed to hear that the hare's are persecuted, here's me wanting to get out and see something new and interesting while others are busy shooting them. I will follow up on your suggestions and let you know how I get on.

Is the findhorn valley road the one that leads south west out of findhorn bridge? Google maps is not being very helpful.

For Ptarmigan I prefer (in "summer") to try Carn Ban Moor. The walk is bit nicer than Cairngorm - though there can be equally little signs of life, and the success rate at the top is a bit higher because the Ptarmigan are normally on the summit. Twice I have tried and thinking them not present sat down for lunch only for one to pop out. So whilst it is a small area they can take some finding - don't give up they are there!

The summit is on your left hand side as you near the top with the stonier areas normally producing the goods.

If you know where to go (and it changes on weather and time of year as well as disturbance) Cairngorm is less of a climb, though when I speak to tourists up there they have tended to spend as much time walking just trying to find some!

Update on this trip which was to be fair a bit of a disaster in terms of wildlife watching.

Attepted Ptarmigan 3 times, 1st at Carn Ban Mor where it rained so hard and was visibility was so bad that the seal on my waterproof binoculars went on the right. (My good eye) so the rest of the trip I had to use the bins upside down. Hopefully I can get them fixed, they have a 10 year warranty.

Failed to connect with any hares at findhorn although apparently while we were doing the walk up the hill we missed a Golden Eagle through the valley.

2nd attept at Ptarmigan was at Cairngorm where after walking half way up, the rain swept in obliterating hopes for the second time.

Having been informed that Glas Maol offerered a good chance we came home round the other side of the Cairngorms. The weather was stunning until we reached Balmoral. By the time we reached the ski area any attempt to leave the car ran the risk of drowning. We waited about 30 mins but the rain was not relenting and with a long drive ahead of us we had to give up.

Ptarmigan is now top of the most wanted list, maybe next year!

Ptarmigan is now top of the most wanted list,

Are you sure it's not on your 'most hated' list;) Trystan?

Happens to me every time I go to the Cairnwell!

D

Are you sure it's not on your 'most hated' list;) Trystan?

Happens to me every time I go to the Cairnwell!

D

If I had a most hated list it surely would be top of that too!

It was very frustrating, accumulating 90 species of bird with about 10% of the effort, the remaining 90% of the effort spent failing to see one species.

Lovely place though, I'll be back.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back