• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snowy Owl sites in Scandinavia (1 Viewer)

Arbu

Are there any reliable Snowy Owl sites in Scandinavia? I'm contemplating a hiking trip to Abisko National Park in Sweden next year. Snowy Owl and Arctic Redpoll are the two Scandinavian species I have yet to see. I imagine that Arctic Redpoll is not too hard to find (correct me if I'm wrong) but was wondering if there was any way I could ensure I have good chances of finding Snowy Owl as well?

Abisko is a nice place and I really recommend a visit. However, it is not a reliable site for Snowy Owl. This year has been exceptionally good and that means 3 pairs breeding in all of Sweden as far as I know. In Northern Lapland, i.e. roughly the northenmost 350 km of the Swedish mountain range, there has been ca 1-3 observations per year lately. I believe that in the period 1983-2011 we have had breeding Snowy Owl in Sweden during only three years.

Arctic Redpoll is a little bit easier but still only around 10-20 observations (?) in the Abisko area each summer in spite of being a popular area among birders.

Gabriel

Thanks. I'd still like to go for the hiking and I'm sure there would still be plenty of interesting birds even if I can't manage my two target species.

Is there anywhere in the region you would recommend as being better for Arctic Redpoll?

I do not know any better sites so I think Abisko is probably where I would start looking. I do not live in the area though so maybe some local birder can fill in. Isn't there someone that posts ID questions from Abisko regularely?

Anyway, it is a scarce bird and the best thing I think is to have a look at the bird recording portal before going there, in order to get the latest updates (click the English icon in the top right corner).

http://www.artportalen.se/birds/default.asp

/G

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back