• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

confirm ID request - Blue-Headed Vireo? - Round Rock, TX, US (1 Viewer)

erisian.pope

very amateur
I think this is a good match to another picture I posted a few weeks ago. I see strong white eye-rings, strong wingbars that seem to continue fully across the back. Overall color pattern looks good to me.

Did I get it right?

Attachments

• IMG_7118.JPG
    IMG_7118.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 79
Here is a second bird that looks very similar. Also shot today, but a few minutes later and in a different tree in the same area.

Is this the same as the bird above? Wingbar pattern looks the same but the eye-ring looks weaker.

Attachments

• IMG_7145.JPG
    IMG_7145.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 58
It's an Empidomax flycatcher of some sort, but which one is harder to say.

Edit: Second picture looks quite good for Least Flycatcher - short bill, bold and complete eye ring, short primary projection.

It is an Empidonax flycatcher. Quite a bold eye-ring...

Another point towards Least Flycatcher is the dark coloration at the tip of the lower mandible.

Carlos

Last edited:
Here's another shot of the first bird, with the head inclined towards me. I am not sure if this presents any additional detail. There are highly-out-of-focus branches/leaves between the camera and the bird causing a lot of haze. I've also included a shot with the bird more fully facing away from the camera although I am pretty sure this isn't very useful.

Attachments

• IMG_7113.JPG
    IMG_7113.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7115.JPG
    IMG_7115.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 26
What are the chances that first bird in original post and second bird in second post are the same bird?

All subsequent shots are of the first bird.

Ok, two more pictures. These are of the second bird (possibly Least Flycatcher).

EDIT: beak-color changes dramatically, I assume due to the bird being more and less in the sun...

Attachments

• IMG_7146.JPG
    IMG_7146.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7144.JPG
    IMG_7144.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 30
In case I see more of these birds today I am planning on trying to photo a more frontal view. Are there any other details that would be useful for ID that I could try to focus on?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back