• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss 56mm Conquest HD's (1 Viewer)

Mike

Is this the first 15x56 Zeiss or have I forgotten something?

Lee

Zeiss was the leader of the 15x market years ago with a 15x60 BGA. A great bino but discontinued 10years ago or so and left the market wide open for other to fill. This 15x56mm roof is a first for Zeiss as I can recall.

Mike,

Can we read into this statement and your previous one on the 30mm, 40mm and 45mm Conquests that they will not be discontinued in the rest of the world?

Bob

Bob, I am unsure on how this older Conquest product will be managed in all other areas of the world, so I am always cautions to qualify my statements to be USA only. Sorry, just dont know, but will look into it and get back to you.

. The 15×56 should be image stabilised.
It is a long time since these were developed and it is about time a reliable low weight low-cost image stabiliser was fitted to these higher power binoculars.

I don't really think it's possible to make a high-quality and cheap stabiliser that works well in a binocular without compromising its performance in other areas.

The only stabiliser that would fit the bill is the Zeiss stabiliser they used in the 20x60S and the 20x60S Mono, and that is anything but cheap to make.

Hermann

I don't really think it's possible to make a high-quality and cheap stabiliser that works well in a binocular without compromising its performance in other areas.

The only stabiliser that would fit the bill is the Zeiss stabiliser they used in the 20x60S and the 20x60S Mono, and that is anything but cheap to make.

Hermann

If we are viewing the image as projected through the exit pupil, would it be possible to try to just stabilize this image [so a small gyro in the eyepiece?], and not the entire optical system?

Seriously, I have no idea.......:-O

Me too, if the field is wide enough. Are these AK prisms or SP?

James:

I suppose the new Conquest 56 HD models will have AK prisms, as the
former 8 and 10x56 models did. Those plastic models were very
lightweight, and only 33 oz.
The current Zeiss 8x56 FL weighs 43 oz. and the new Conquest HD models have an aluminum chassis.
It will be interesting to see how that works out, on designing a binocular
that can be kept in that range.

The new Conquest models will need the same AK prisms to offer
the same or better transmission.
My thinking is this is a good move, and that is bringing out the
56 models in the Conquest. For most users this is not an everyday
size and has a much smaller market.

Zeiss has done a nice job with the new Conquest 42 models, with the design
and coatings. They more than fulfill the needs of most users.

Zeiss will also bring out a new Victory 32mm and a 56, just as they have in the past.

In optics, there are wants and needs, and that is for the
market to decide, and what we get to talk about next. ;)

I like choices, and I like to see what is coming from Zeiss.

Jerry

Contrary to what I have read lately, it is starting to look like Zeiss is an industry leader. Should be a fun year.

I got it right! The 56mm was in the Conquest HD line. So where's my No-Prize?

And here's Lee's punishment for getting it wrong, and for mentioning me and Dennis in the same sentence.... some of my "rolling ball" posts: ;)

Swarovski 10x42: worth upgrading from old EL to Swarovision or not?

Rolling Ball definition

Rolling Ball: what do I do?

Swarovision 10x50 is arrived!

Brock N. Rollingballer

Brock

You got it right and you got it right first. Take a bow, you clearly have far-sighted crystal balls, and not rolling ones at that.

Punishment happily accepted.

Lee

Brock

You got it right and you got it right first. Take a bow, you clearly have far-sighted crystal balls, and not rolling ones at that.

Punishment happily accepted.

Lee

No crystal ball. As my mentor, who cannot be named, use to say: It is only logical. Hunters spend enough money on all their other equipment, buying an 8x56 or 10x56 HT would be a stretch for all but those with the deepest pockets. So while I'm sure they would be spectacular and probably have a wider FOV than the Conquests, they wouldn't be selling like hotcakes.

But what is a shame is that the big exit pupil configurations that I would find the most useful - 7x42 and 8x50 - because of their 6mm exit pupils, larger FOV and lighter weight, seem to have gone the way of the dinosaur.

Swaro used to have both formats, and both are gone. Zeiss had a 7x42 - gone. Zeiss had an 8x50 Conquest - presumably DOA. Maybe it was the old "neither fish nor fowl" argument, but for middle aged and older folks, an 8x56 is more glass than they can use or probably care to carry, ditto for a 7x50, plus they usually have a narrower FOV compared to 7x42s.

Brock

No crystal ball. As my mentor, who cannot be named, use to say: It is only logical. Hunters spend enough money on all their other equipment, buying an 8x56 or 10x56 HT would be a stretch for all but those with the deepest pockets. So while I'm sure they would be spectacular and probably have a wider FOV than the Conquests, they wouldn't be selling like hotcakes.

But what is a shame is that the big exit pupil configurations that I would find the most useful - 7x42 and 8x50 - because of their 6mm exit pupils, larger FOV and lighter weight, seem to have gone the way of the dinosaur.

Swaro used to have both formats, and both are gone. Zeiss had a 7x42 - gone. Zeiss had an 8x50 Conquest - presumably DOA. Maybe it was the old "neither fish nor fowl" argument, but for middle aged and older folks, an 8x56 is more glass than they can use or probably care to carry, ditto for a 7x50, plus they usually have a narrower FOV compared to 7x42s.

Brock

Nikon, which has a big hunting presence has those big eyed roof prisms priced at much lower levels. The 2 most practical for hunting are cheap, non phase coated PM 5s. 10x50 @ $200.00 and 12x50 @$220.00.

And there are 3 2nd tier priced roof prism 56mm binoculars. Only one is suitable for birding or hunting. The 8x56 @ $750.00. The 16x56 @ $800.00 and 20x56@ $900.00 IMO really aren't suitable for hunting but their prices are realistic for anyone who wants one without having to remortgage the home. Zeiss's and Swarovski's were and are not.

Bob

Last edited:
The big blue Giant is alive!
:t:

This was good news,
The Conquest HD line is now complete??
so we can go on to the HT:s...
;)

I wonder about pricing,
hopefully about half the price of Swaro SLC 56mm?
That will be tough to beat...

56mm will be Schmidt-Pechan or?

Or will they replace the 56mm FL?

really hope that there will be a 50mm HT later this spring,

Last edited:

This was good news,
;)

I wonder about pricing,

VB

Just a couple of remarks:

Is the Conquest line complete?

This remains to be seen, and I am thinking about telescopes now ;)
Does the 56mm have SP or AK prisms

From the look of the pictures I think its AKs​

Lee

This was good news,
;)

I wonder about pricing,

You all might like this.... pricing on the new Zeiss 15x56HD, with integrated tripod adapter will be....... $USD......... $1599.99. ;) 8's and 10's will be slightly less. Enjoy.

You all might like this.... pricing on the new Zeiss 15x56HD, with integrated tripod adapter will be....... $USD......... $1599.99. ;) 8's and 10's will be slightly less. Enjoy.

The new soon to be available (in the U.S.) Swaro 15x56 SLC HD is going to go for $2499 w/o the tripod adapter--the Zeiss Conquest 15x56 HD at $1599 is bound to attract a lot of attention from hunters at that price! Would be interesting to have binomania do a review between the two.
In regards to Zeiss introducing an 8x56 & 10x56 in the Conquest line, will they drop the 8x56 & 10x56 Victory FLs?

The new soon to be available (in the U.S.) Swaro 15x56 SLC HD is going to go for $2499 w/o the tripod adapter--the Zeiss Conquest 15x56 HD at $1599 is bound to attract a lot of attention from hunters at that price! Would be interesting to have binomania do a review between the two.
In regards to Zeiss introducing an 8x56 & 10x56 in the Conquest line, will they drop the 8x56 & 10x56 Victory FLs?

Thats an impressive price difference.

Thats an impressive price difference.

Makes me wonder if there will be a 56mm HT line. If Zeiss can produce a great bino.[no promises but the smaller Conquests makes it plausible] for $900.00 less than the Swaro., do they need to compete directly by way of another $2500.00 model?

If Zeiss can make a 56mm that has most of the performance of the Swaro., likely sacrificing a field flattener, I suspect it would be an instant winner.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back