• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elmley Marshes (1 Viewer)

ColinNorth

Had a poodle down there on Sunday:-

Long Eared Owl
Short Eared Owl (possibly)
Lapwing
Avocet
Ruddy Duck
Ruff
Meadow Pipit
Oyster Catcher
Mute Swan
Heron
Kestrel
Marsh Harrier
Spotted Redshanks
Ring Necked Plover
Black Tailed Godwit
Swallow
BH Gull
Curlew
Starling
Coot
Moorhen
Yellow Wagtail

Moths

Gatekeeper
Seven Spot Burnett and loads of others I didn't recognise

B :)

ColinNorth said:
Had a poodle down there on Sunday:-

Long Eared Owl
Short Eared Owl (possibly)

B :)

If you saw LE Owl I hope you reported it to the RSPB on site...there havent been any for ages there now!!
Why ? on SE????
Little Owls are about....difficult to see tho...not as obliging as the ones in Spain!!!

There was a short-eared owl perched on a post between Wellmarsh and Southfleet hides mid-afternoon on Saturday. It had earlier flown over my head from the seawall or the Swale. In heavy wing moult.
Couldn't find the long-eared in the orchard; it was reported there last month.

Sean

I was there on Sunday afternoon - one LEO was showing well in the orchard, and 1 or 2 had been reported most days for the last fortnight or so. I was put onto it by a guy in a wheelchair, who was doing some sort of study of them - I would expect he's liaising with RSPB staff on site.

Also saw the moulting Red-necked Phalarope, spinning away outside the Counterwall hide - hopefully you did as well, Sean and Colin?

Missed the poodle though - where was that? :h?: ;)

It was the same wheelchair guy that pointed out the LE. What I believe was the SE was only a flash from a long way away, and it was up a down in less than a second, flying away from me.

Didn't get to see the Phalarope. The guy in the wheelchair mentioned that it had been spotted, but we had by that time made our way back to the car park.

Some people reckon I'm a bit of a Poodle. Myself, I think I'm more of a (Fat) Jack Russell.

Yes, saw the phalarope, and a hobby too. Quite possibly the first time I've seen r-n phal, hobby, and s-e owl on the same day. No 37 in my series of boring birding facts...

Sean

Hello Colin...
Glad to see you had a good day..
Thanks for the kind offer...
Just sorry I couldn't come..
As I said I was out at 4am ..Had literally just got back when you rung...And my bed was calling..lol
Got some good footage on the video camera ...
The Sparrowhawks came out horrible though... |8(|
Got some alright footage of the Red legged partridge that seems to have taken residence...(think its definately an escapee from somewhere..)
and got some 'textbook 'footage of grey Wagtail feeding on the stream..
I think my count for the morning was 28 different species...so cannot moan...
Cheers..

Yeah sunday was my first trip to elmley marshes. Despite a six am start we left the orchard hoping to see it but when we returned seven miles later it had flown -5PM- (the 2 lEO) its hard enough to see them anyhow but two!! Instead we clocked up 45 species. Had great views of marsh harrier hobby and so many kestrals and 17 species of waders including red necked phalarope whimbrel turnstone grey plover and a single golden plover. Also a common gull 2 grey partridge 1 gs woodpecker and two grey seal. The chappy in the wheelchair said that he new the wearabouts of their nest (the leo) but wasnt letting up !!! he seemed to be trying to set up a camera device to watch the nests. Sadley missed green sanpiper and and curlew sandpipers or little stint on the site which would have made quite a tally for one day. We will try harder next time!!!

Thinking of going to Elmley on Sunday and will ofcourse go down to Harty Road aswell, but can anyone tell me where abouts this 'orchard' area is as I would love to get rid of LEO from my' cant bloody find one to save my life' list!
A PM would be great if the info not suitable to post etc.
If anyone has been down this area last few days, has there been much about....???
Many thanks.

If its your first trip there, park in the car park, walk 20 feet down the lane towards the hides, the orchard is on your right. It really is right n top of the car park. You may have difficulty spotting either of the two LEO's that roost there. If the guy in the wheelchair is around, he will almost certainly be able to tell you where they are.

Colin

Did Elmley yesterday as planned and thanks to some good directions managed to finally tick LEO right where suggested........excellent. Wasnt much else of note although Tem' and lit' Stint had been reported late previous day but no sight while we were there. Worth the journey for LEO, as it is a superb bird.
Thanks all.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back