• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vulture, Switzerland (1 Viewer)

I know this will be hard without a photo but I was wondering what others had seen in this area. We were about 2900m up in a telecabine while skiiing in Crans Monata last week. It was a clear sunny day and we saw a huge bird of prey soaring roughly level with us. Watched for maybe a minute but did not get the camera out in time - sorry. At the distance and against the white snow it was hard to pick up any features but from the proportions it was obviously v.large. At the time I assumed a griffon vulture as I thought I had read they were re-introduced in France but have since read there has also been re-introduction of lammergeiers in Swiss alps. Has anyone seen one? What else could it have been?

Many thanks

Golden eagle is pretty common and definitely also large; it is proportioned a little like a rough-legged buzzard (parallel front and back of wings, medium long tail).
Lammegeier has very long tail.
Griffon has short tail, wide wings that narrow at least a little to the hand

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back