• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review Swarovski Swarovision EL 8x32 WB (1 Viewer)

I have had a very busy and trying last few weeks.

But prior to that I had purchased a Swarovski 8x32 EL and a Swarovski 8x32 EL SV and a Nikon 8x32 SE and a Nikon 8x32 EDG II. I had both planned to upgrade to a top notch 8x32 roof and also keep the SE porro if it kept up with the others.

My other purpose of buying the above bins, besides a purchase, was to post my review and impressions of the top 8x32 bino's that Swarovski and Nikon offers. That is still my intent before making my decision; but since my Mother's sudden passing on 7/07 - my heart has not been it it very much at all. Seems like looking through glass takes a huge back seat when an an event like that takes place in our lives and we look at all of life here on Earth much different.

I still have to make some sort of decision as to what if any bino's I am going to keep as I still have them in my possession and some at least need to go back soon because I am running out of time. I will also try to give some sort of write up as to my review/ impression; although it probably won't be nearly as in depth as I had planned.

We also had our younger Son get married at our place on 7/22 with a bunch of Family in from out of town- so we have been quite busy. And again looking at bins has been put to the back burner.

I will keep you posted as to when my review will be.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear of your recent loss. Events like this make other things (like bino comparisons) totally trivial. I wish the best for you and the rest of the family.

John F
LV NV

Likewise, Stephen. Condolences to you and yours on your loss, congratulations on your son's wedding, and to hell with gazing at the navels of binoculars.
Best Wishes.

I have had a very busy and trying last few weeks.

But prior to that I had purchased a Swarovski 8x32 EL and a Swarovski 8x32 EL SV and a Nikon 8x32 SE and a Nikon 8x32 EDG II. I had both planned to upgrade to a top notch 8x32 roof and also keep the SE porro if it kept up with the others.

My other purpose of buying the above bins, besides a purchase, was to post my review and impressions of the top 8x32 bino's that Swarovski and Nikon offers. That is still my intent before making my decision; but since my Mother's sudden passing on 7/07 - my heart has not been it it very much at all. Seems like looking through glass takes a huge back seat when an an event like that takes place in our lives and we look at all of life here on Earth much different.

I still have to make some sort of decision as to what if any bino's I am going to keep as I still have them in my possession and some at least need to go back soon because I am running out of time. I will also try to give some sort of write up as to my review/ impression; although it probably won't be nearly as in depth as I had planned.

We also had our younger Son get married at our place on 7/22 with a bunch of Family in from out of town- so we have been quite busy. And again looking at bins has been put to the back burner.

I will keep you posted as to when my review will be.

Stephen,

Sorry to hear about your mom passing. I lost my mom three years ago, so I have an idea of what you're going through. It does turn your world upside down and puts things into perspective.

Good news about your son getting married but a wedding and a funeral in such a short time span is a lot of stress.

Since all the bins you have are top notch, it might come down to splitting hairs as to which to keep. I already have the 8x SE, but it would be nice to compliment it with a comparable quality WP bin for when I visit Torview Cove, but unfortunately that means spending multiples more to get the same image quality in a roof as I think your review will confirm.

Take care,
Brock

Thank you all for the kind words- it is certainly appreciated.

I sent my Father off today on a plane ride home- he stayed this week after the wedding with us and seems to be doing as well as can be expected. It has been very hard on him after 54 years of marriage to a woman that he loved and adored- as can only be imagined unless you have gone through it. I know how much I love and adore my bride of 33 years and do not know how I would make it without her. I will say the wedding and having the same family all around just a week after we had my Mom's service was good for him and all of us.

I think I am going to spend sone more time behind this glass this weekend and both write up my impressions and decide which glass ( if any) I decide to keep. I need to make a decision soon because some of this needs to go back. I wanted to keep the SE and a roof- but the reality of paying more than the SE cost for a plane ticket back to family for my Mother's service the week before the wedding will temper doing that.

I think some time behind the glass may be helpful this weekend. I know I will not be able to spend the hours and couple weeks comparing all of these like I had planned, and like I did last year when I did the 30/32 mm Swarovski review; but it will have to do.

As to the decision of which if any glass I end up keeping- I am thinking which ever one it is- it is going to be one that I keep in honor and memory of my Mother. She loved me very much, and was my biggest fan, and I loved her deeply and will be forever grateful for all she did for me, my Dad, us kids, Grandkids and family.

I know if I do end up keeping one of these binoculars in memory of her- I will have it all the days of my life, and will think of her each time I look through them. And one of my kids or Grandkids can have them after I am gone.

Last edited:

I sent my Father off today on a plane ride home- he stayed this week after the wedding with us and seems to be doing as well as can be expected. It has been very hard on him after 54 years of marriage to a woman that he loved and adored- as can only be imagined unless you have gone through it. I know how much I love and adore my bride

Stephen:

You have quite a lineup of binoculars to try and compare. Take your time
with your review, as you have a plate full, I feel for you.

Last weekend, we attended the wedding of the son of friends of ours, and
they announced right before the ceremony, that the Grandfather of the
groom had passed the night before. A sigh went through the church.

It is hard to celebrate and grieve at the same time. The optics may give you
a nice diversion, so just enjoy them for what they are.

Jerry

I must have hit the "post quick reply" button before finishing my post above, so I had to hit edit button to finish what I wanted to say.

My condolences also, my parents are long past now, but at 51 I still feel "orphaned".

Its lovely to keep something in Honor of your Mum, I`m a weather buff and purchased a lovely mercury stick Barometer in memory of my Mum, which I read everyday and remember her .

I have had a very busy and trying last few weeks....but since my Mother's sudden passing on 7/07 - my heart has not been it it very much at all. Seems like looking through glass takes a huge back seat when an an event like that takes place in our lives and we look at all of life here on Earth much different.

Sorry to hear about your Mom. Positive thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Forget about the binos for a while - the toys can wait.

I sent my Father off today on a plane ride home- he stayed this week after the wedding with us and seems to be doing as well as can be expected. It has been very hard on him after 54 years of marriage to a woman that he loved and adored- as can only be imagined unless you have gone through it. I know how much I love and adore my bride of 33 years and do not know how I would make it without her. I will say the wedding and having the same family all around just a week after we had my Mom's service was good for him and all of us.

I think I am going to spend sone more time behind this glass this weekend and both write up my impressions and decide which glass ( if any) I decide to keep. I need to make a decision soon because some of this needs to go back. I wanted to keep the SE and a roof- but the reality of paying more than the SE cost for a plane ticket back to family for my Mother's service the week before the wedding will temper doing that.

I think some time behind the glass may be helpful this weekend. I know I will not be able to spend the hours and couple weeks comparing all of these like I had planned, and like I did last year when I did the 30/32 mm Swarovski review; but it will have to do.

As to the decision of which if any glass I end up keeping- I am thinking which ever one it is- it is going to be one that I keep in honor and memory of my Mother. She loved me very much, and was my biggest fan, and I loved her deeply and will be forever grateful for all she did for me, my Dad, us kids, Grandkids and family.

I know if I do end up keeping one of these binoculars in memory of her- I will have it all and my sincere condolences are with you and your family, Bryce...the days of my life, and will think of her each time I look through them. And one of my kids or Grandkids can have them after I am gone.
Stephen, i'm sorry for your loss. I was looking forward to your shootout after our pm's!!! Family is first and foremost

Stephen, sorry to hear about your mom. Best wishes to you and your family.

They certainly are some fine optics you've got lined up there. Hope you get to take a step, and relax into the infinite grace of nature - her embrace is warm, wide and loving - no substitute, but hopefully of some comfort nonetheless.

Chosun :gh:

Stephen, sorry to hear about your mother.

I saw your post just moments after posting, in another thread, of "our idyllic world" in Bf. and that maybe I should "turn away less from reality".

But - and I apologise if this is obvious - it might help in situations like yours to remember that part of their love was to wish these things for us. In saying she was a "fan" maybe you mean that too.

When my father died I went back to playing tennis and watching birds after two weeks to relieve the numbness but even while doing so felt it was wrong. Then I learnt, from a relative, that Father, although he did neither of these things, positively liked me doing them because they gave me relaxation and pleasure, and was at peace with myself on that count.

Last edited:
Thanks to all again for the kind words and thoughts!

Yes, - my Mother was definitely a fan of whatever I was into- whether it was when I was a boy, or a Man. She was a huge cheerleader to her Husband; 5 children, 17 Grandchildren, and 2 great grandchildren. And she loved to brag us up to anyone that had an ear. She was a great encourager.

I spent a very nice night last night with my wife sitting on our deck enjoying a nice dinner. The last of the guests from the wedding left yesterday and with our 4 children grown and moved out- we have an empty nest. But it is not really empty- because the 2 parent birds love to be with each other and love our time together.

Last night, we ate a nice dinner, drank some good wine and talked; laughed and had a great time. I even spent some time looking through some superb glass. And then we sat down and watched the Olympic opening ceremony that I had recorded. Great job London, very well done, it was outstanding- brilliant!

My mother would have loved watching that opening ceremony. She was from Canada via family from England and was quite proud of her English heritage and visited England often. In the beginning part of the show before the ceremony stared Tom Brokow was showing Bob Costas the poster of "Keep Calm, Carry On" from I believe attributed to Churchill from WW II and the new one that they have around London now of "Keep Calm- its only the Olympics". Well, I teared up a bit at that since years ago my Mother sent all of us little framed posters of the "Keep Calm, Carry On" quote, with the story behind the quote. When I spoke at my mothers service 2 weeks ago, that was one of the things that I ended my talk and tribute to her with. She was truly a great "Mum".

In fact when the "Mum" phrase was used in a post above- I immediately thought of my Mum- because she (as well as us) had recently in the last 6 months joined Facebook to keep tabs and see pictures of our first Grandchild (Kellen) and her 2nd Great Grandchild. Well, she took to that Facebook family thing like a duck to water. She loved to send notes of encouragement and thoughts to her children and grand children. And she would always sign off with - "from the Queen Mum and her Prince Phillip" (my Dad).

Here is a pic. of the bino lineup that I am looking at:

P1020640.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to all again for the kind words and thoughts!

Yes, - my Mother was definitely a fan of whatever I was into- whether it was when I was a boy, or a Man. She was a huge cheerleader to her Husband; 5 children, 17 Grandchildren, and 2 great grandchildren. And she loved to brag us up to anyone that had an ear. She was a great encourager.

I spent a very nice night last night with my wife sitting on our deck enjoying a nice dinner. The last of the guests from the wedding left yesterday and with our 4 children grown and moved out- we have an empty nest. But it is not really empty- because the 2 parent birds love to be with each other and love our time together.

Last night, we ate a nice dinner, drank some good wine and talked; laughed and had a great time. I even spent some time looking through some superb glass. And then we sat down and watched the Olympic opening ceremony that I had recorded. Great job London, very well done, it was outstanding- brilliant!

My mother would have loved watching that opening ceremony. She was from Canada via family from England and was quite proud of her English heritage and visited England often. In the beginning part of the show before the ceremony stared Tom Brokow was showing Bob Costas the poster of "Keep Calm, Carry On" from I believe attributed to Churchill from WW II and the new one that they have around London now of "Keep Calm- its only the Olympics". Well, I teared up a bit at that since years ago my Mother sent all of us little framed posters of the "Keep Calm, Carry On" quote, with the story behind the quote. When I spoke at my mothers service 2 weeks ago, that was one of the things that I ended my talk and tribute to her with. She was truly a great "Mum".

In fact when the "Mum" phrase was used in a post above- I immediately thought of my Mum- because she (as well as us) had recently in the last 6 months joined Facebook to keep tabs and see pictures of our first Grandchild (Kellen) and her 2nd Great Grandchild. Well, she took to that Facebook family thing like a duck to water. She loved to send notes of encouragement and thoughts to her children and grand children. And she would always sign off with - "from the Queen Mum and her Prince Phillip" (my Dad).

Here is a pic. of the bino lineup that I am looking at:

P1020640.jpg

Sorry for your loss

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back