• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID Please (1 Viewer)

brackenb

Can anyone help with an ID of these birds. They are all warblers, a bit of a blindspot for me I'm afraid.

Also if anyone can recommend a good field guide to Warblers I would appreciate your guidance

Thanks

Bernard

Attachments

• id2.jpg
    id2.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 48
  • id83.jpg
    id83.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Id122.jpg
    Id122.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Id137.jpg
    Id137.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 36
Hi Bernard,
First off, where were these taken? The UK or Saudi Arabia?
The birds in question seem to be unstreaked Acrocephalus warblers. They all seem quite similar, having a relatively prominent eye ring, some birds have a moderately long primary projection and I could easily buy them all being Reed Warblers. The right hand bird is a bit olive-toned above, which would be less of an issue if the pic was taken in Saudi, as some fuscus Reeds can be quite olive-toned above.

Actually, as per Kennerley and Pearson's 'Reed and Bush Warblers', the local breeding Reed Warblers in Saudi Arabia are avicenniae. Fuscus would occur on migration, but I wouldn't expect many to be present in June. Under 'recognition', the book states the following: 'The Red Sea breeding form A.s.avicenniae (Mangrove Reed Warbler) is closer in colour to both A.s.fuscus and Marsh Warbler, but easily seperated from both by its shorter, more rounded wing (p2 usually < p6). It also lacks the rufescent upperparts of nominate Eurasian Reed and the nearest African Reed Warbler races cinnamomeus and suahelicus'.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back