• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi from Malaysia - binocular/monocular for hiking? (1 Viewer)

theanghv

Hello guys, I'm a 25 y/o programmer that's just started getting into bird watching.

As I'm planning to bring the binocular/monocular for hiking, I'm trying to find something:
- light
- around 15mm eye relief
- 8x magnification
- above 20mm Objective Lens (What's the recommended size for this?)
- below $300

Do you guys have any suggestion for this?

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to birdforum from all the staff. We hope you enjoy the site.
I have moved (and renamed) your thread, putting it in our forum devoted to binoculars, this will give you more chance of answers to your question.

regards,
Andy

Hi and welcome to birdforum from all the staff. We hope you enjoy the site.
I have moved (and renamed) your thread, putting it in our forum devoted to binoculars, this will give you more chance of answers to your question.

regards,
Andy
Hi Andy, thanks for moving the thread to the correct forum!

Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF. Given the information of the o.p. I would try to have a look at a Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 - this should fit the $300 budget in most places and is quite good for the money - Small and light, nice wide field, optics quite good except for some glare problems.

Joachim

My view of a hiking binocular is an 8x30/32 under 20 ounces. The Nikon M7 that jring mentioned is an excellent binocular that fits this description. If it meets your budget requirement, it would be worth your time to investigate. To my eyes, it is one of the best in your price range.

A 2nd-place choice would be the Sightron SII Blue Sky. Although you might not be able to find this brand in your area, you can probably find clones of these marketed by other brands. Not as good overall as the M7, but not as expensive either.

Opticron also makes a very lightweight 8x32 as well. I don't know the model name, but you might check their website. Again, not as good as the M7, but less expensive.

theanghv,

Welcome to BirdForum!

I think most, including myself, would highly recommend a binocular over a monocular. A binocular is much easier to use as you do not have to strain to keep one eye closed. A monocular might be a nice supplemental purchase in time if you want a very lightweight option for quick looks, but it would not be enjoyable to use on a regular basis. Most people my age can handle an 8x32 on day hikes, so at your 25 years I do not think it would be a problem. If you really wanted to go small I would direct you at a 8x20 or 8x25 compact binocular. I have never used one though so I cannot give suggestions.

My apologies for not being so worldly, but perhaps you could tell us what binocular brands are available for you locally? The most important thing before deciding on a binocular is to try them.

the 8x25 Zeiss Terra is a very nice jacket pocket size binocular....or use the nice belt mountable case that comes with it...usually sells for around $300 ...

I've heard many good things about Nikon M7 but there's a few posts on Chromatic Aberration. What do people here think about this?

Jack Speer,

Thanks for the welcome! Sadly, almost none of the binoculars recommended are readily available here. I'll be trying to purchase them online and would prefer a used but good condition one.

[email protected],

The Leupold Mojave 8x32 seems like a good choice! I'll do more research on this binoculars before making the call, thanks for the suggestion.

If you are looking at around $300, maybe a Zeiss Terra 25mm or 32mm. I know Malaysia is terrible for pricing, but if you are in Singapore, Cathay Photo Shop in peninsula plaza is the Zeiss head distributor for Zeiss binos and you will be able to try the whole Zeiss Terra range. PM if you want more info. Also with the humidty and hiking walks in the tripics, highly advise a harness unless you are keeping the binos in your bag for most of the hike.

If you are looking at around $300, maybe a Zeiss Terra 25mm or 32mm. I know Malaysia is terrible for pricing, but if you are in Singapore, Cathay Photo Shop in peninsula plaza is the Zeiss head distributor for Zeiss binos and you will be able to try the whole Zeiss Terra range. PM if you want more info. Also with the humidty and hiking walks in the tripics, highly advise a harness unless you are keeping the binos in your bag for most of the hike.

I've sent you a PM, do check it when you have the time

the 8x25 Zeiss Terra is a very nice jacket pocket size binocular....or use the nice belt mountable case that comes with it...usually sells for around $300 ...

I recently got the pocket terra from Eagle optics for $300,
case for an extra $30. The combination is great for hiking.

edj

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back