• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpecker, Boubous and Weavers in Botswana Sept-Oct 2017 (1 Viewer)

vernon

A few birds from Botswana, photos in more than one post below

The first 3 pics show a woodpecker seen during the journey to Moremi from Maun. I initially ID'd this as Golden-tailed but am concerned about the apparently barred back.

The following shots show 2, or 3 different Boubous seen in the grounds of Mowanna Safari Lodge, Kasane. The new Birds of Botswana guide shows clear separation of distribution between Swamp and Tropical Boubou leaving Tropical as the only contender here. other sources however refer to an overlap in the 'Chobe-Zambezi confluence' with possible hybridization. All the birds shown were confiding and seen on the ground. The bird seen in the first 2 photos may be the same as the one in the 3rd and 4th but the birds in the next 2 posts are separate individuals.

Lastly a Weaver on the bird table at the same lodge. The table was visited by Holubs Golden and Village Weaver but I don't think the female shown is either of these species. The other shots show birds on the shore of the Chobe river.

Attachments

• woodpecker1.jpg
    woodpecker1.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 12
  • woodpecker2.jpg
    woodpecker2.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 13
  • woodpecker3.jpg
    woodpecker3.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 11
The first 1 or 2 Boubous

Attachments

• boubou 1 a.jpg
    boubou 1 a.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 8
  • boubou 1 b.jpg
    boubou 1 b.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 5
  • boubou 2 a.jpg
    boubou 2 a.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 4
  • boubou 2 b.jpg
    boubou 2 b.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 8
The next 2 Boubous

Attachments

• boubou 3 e.jpg
    boubou 3 e.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 5
  • boubou 3 h.jpg
    boubou 3 h.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 4
  • boubou 3 i.jpg
    boubou 3 i.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 4
  • boubou 4d.jpg
    boubou 4d.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 6
  • boubou 4c.jpg
    boubou 4c.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 5
the weavers (and a Wattled Starling)

Attachments

• weaver 1a.jpg
    weaver 1a.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 10
  • weaver 1b.jpg
    weaver 1b.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 9
  • weaver 2a.jpg
    weaver 2a.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 8
  • weaver 2b.jpg
    weaver 2b.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 7
To get this back up to the top of the page so someone more knowledgeable can comment:

#1 1-3 Look OK for Golden-tailed Woodpecker I think;
#2 1-4 & #3 1-3 are all white on the underside so presumably Swamp Boubou. I'm not sure if there is a pinkish wash on #3 4 & 5 or if it is just shadow;

Won't try the Weavers!

In case this helps identify the female weaver I have found 2 more photos of another at the bird table at Kasane [with a Holub's Golden Weaver and Mourning Dove]

Attachments

• weaver 3b.jpg
    weaver 3b.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 7
  • weaver 3a.jpg
    weaver 3a.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 8
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back