• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x32EL - Calling all owners! (1 Viewer)

... the SLC 8x30 but when I tried a pair I found that the focus wheel was a bit stiff and, ...

I had an 8x30 that was very smooth, a 10x42SLC that was somewhat stiff and needed a good push, an older 7x42SLC was the lightest focussing I ever felt. So there seems to be a good deal of variations even within the same company's output.

I, too, have been looking at the high end 8x30(ish) binoculars and am getting more and more confused. I thought there would be one model which stood out from the others but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Ron

So sad but so true!

Equally confused,
Tom

Thanks for pointing out the Swarovski Habicht 8x30, Tom. I hadn't bothered to look at them but they appear to have a lot going for them:
136 metres field of view, 540 gm weight, 6 lens eyepiece, rugged design with 30 year warranty and waterproof to 4 metres, unlike the Nikon SE and EII.

The only thing I can see against them is the 12mm eye relief and fold back eyecups. In the instruction leaflet they say they are not really suitable for use with glasses.

They are available new in the UK for £369 which sounds a bargain to me, provided you don't wear spectacles.

Ron

Thanks for pointing out the Swarovski Habicht 8x30, Tom. I hadn't bothered to look at them but they appear to have a lot going for them:
136 metres field of view, 540 gm weight, 6 lens eyepiece, rugged design with 30 year warranty and waterproof to 4 metres, unlike the Nikon SE and EII.

The only thing I can see against them is the 12mm eye relief and fold back eyecups. In the instruction leaflet they say they are not really suitable for use with glasses.

They are available new in the UK for £369 which sounds a bargain to me, provided you don't wear spectacles.

Ron

They are decent bins and have the advantage of being waterproof, but if you compare them to the much cheaper Nikon E IIs you'll understand why you don't see many in the field...

Ron

Hello Ron!
I am myself torn between the SLC and the Habicht.
I like the EL very much (except for annoying lateral chromatic abberation) but for the price of an EL 8x32 I could have 2 Habichte.

369 for an Habicht??
No digits missing there?
That's 495 Euros.
It's not a bargain, it's a giveaway.
I am tempted to book a flight on one of those cheapo airlines and get one myself. It would be cheaper than getting them here. Cheapest, un-negotiated offer in Germany I have seen was around 650 Euros.

Jealous,
Tom

Last edited:
136 metres field of view, 540 gm weight, ...

Ron

Oh, I forgot.
As regards fields of view you may want to have a look here:
http://www.tvwg.nl/

See: Testrapporten, Kijkers, Swarovskis.
There are data from early in 2006.

I don't know how accurate the measurements are but the actual fovs seem to be a bit smaller in reality. And all companies seem to be quite generous about the numbers they offer!
Of course, in agreement with current trends, they only test roof models.

Maybe it'll be helpful.
Thomas

Last edited:
Hello Ron!
I am myself torn between this and the Habicht.
I like the EL very much (except for annoying lateral chromatic abberation) but for the price of an EL 8x32 I could have 2 Habichte.

369 for an SLC8x30??
No digits missing there?
That's 495 Euros.
It's not a bargain, it's a giveaway.
I am tempted to book a flight on one of those cheapo airlines and get one myself. It would be cheaper than getting them here. Cheapest, un-negotiated offer in Germany I have seen was around 840 Euros (630 BP).
Is it the SLCneu?

Jealous,
Tom
Sorry, Tom, we've got a bit mixed up somewhere. It's the Habicht 8x30 which is £369. The SLC 8X30 from the same company is £499. Sorry to disappoint you but it is still a good price.

Ron

Sorry, Tom, we've got a bit mixed up somewhere. It's the Habicht 8x30 which is £369. The SLC 8X30 from the same company is £499. Sorry to disappoint you but it is still a good price.

Ron

Okay, I have realized with embarassment that I have been jumping the gun.
Still an attractive offer. If I could find a source for it for that price I'd probably get one. Given the excellent reputation that Swarovski has it looks like a top choice to me.

If you do observations in woodlands you'll come to appreciate the enhanced 3D resolution a porro gives. If you can do a side by side comparison it should be interesting. I am impressed time and time again. The Porro construction gives a spatial image in which one can "walk around" while even the most expensive roof prism models cast only a "painting on the wall".

Never mind the fashion,
Thomas

Trinovids

I am interested in replacing my binoculars for one of the top three 8x32mm models.

Having discounted the Leica Ultravid 8x32BR due to eye relief issues, and the unavailability of Leica Trinovid 8x32BNs, I am left with the Zeiss 8x32FL and the Swarovski 8x32EL.

Can the owners of Swarovski 8x32ELs please stand up?

I want to hear what you think of your binoculars - what you like and dislike about them, and any durability or other concerns. Don't be afraid to be technical!

I'm also interested to learn about Swarovski's easy-clean coating - is this the same concept as Leica's Aqua-Dura and Zeiss' Lotu-Tec? I like the idea of water and dirt repellent lenses. Are Swarovski's lens coatings water repellent too?

I tried a pair of 8 X 32 BN Trinovids at the weekend , they had 10 x 32 aswell.
Brand new as far as know ,8 x 32 on sale for £749, only 1 pair of each .Let me know if you want contact info'.

I have the 10 x 32's - they are awesome. Thumbgrips, eyecups fit and keep lens clean, easy to clean with standard lens solutions. They are the best binoc's I've ever used. Oxblood

Hi

The EL 8x32's are excellent and you will not regret buying a pair. Although the optics in the big 3 are all pretty comparable, the look, feel and handling of the EL's leave no choice !!

Good luck......

Doug....

Colour can change dramatically within minutes. Robert as a photographer will most likely confirm this (I'd be very surprised if not).
Colours are very different at noon when the sun is glaring than a few hours before or later due to the shift in the sun's height the sky.
Moving up a mountain by several hundred meters gives different colours than you'll have a low altitude. ...

Thomas

Thomas. Flowers? You shouldn't have.

And yes, I'll confirm that color temperature changes throughout the day, and at any given time of day with altitude. The question for me was which bin replicated what my unassisted eyes were perceiving at the same time. In warm light, (low angled sunshine, for example), it is very difficult to objectively discern any difference among the three alphabins. But the situation is quite diffrent in shadowed areas on overcast days.

I promised Kimmo I'd post a retest under today's skies - which are sunny, soft and with a low-angled winter sun - very forgiving conditions. Bottom line? - All three bins performed as near to identical as I could perceive. Like many tests, it's extreme conditions that help to define differences (or limitations, if you will) in fine equipment - and dim, high-color temperature light seems to be what reveals the major differences in the "big 3". That said, the difference in color detection between my left and right eyes is more than the color rendering differences between the Swarovski and the Leica. But the average assembled by my brain (such as it is), resulting in overall perception, more closely alligns with the Leica. It therefore follows they are "truer", i.e., more accurate, in color fidelity.

Cheers, my friend

Robert

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what the current accessories provided with the Swaro 8x32EL are like in terms of quality?

A digital pic of the case and strap would be nice. I know what the Zeiss offering is cos I saw it in the brochure.

Hi Dialyt,

I got some 8x32EL's for xmas and can vouch for these as a true quality package. The feel of the bins in use is great, the strap, rainguard, proper case (now supplied rather than the cheapie of years gone by) plus the snapshot adaptor, make for a good package.
I tried other bins when I got these (I actually took over 1.5 hours before I chose them) and found that to my eyes the eyecups were far better than the zeiss and Leica offerings (plus a number of lesser priced makes). The SLC's gave me blackouts, plus the focus wheel is in the wrong place and close focus is poor.
The EL FOV at 8 degrees is just amazing, and the view superb. Plus close focus is inside 6 feet.

Hi Dialyt, like you I found, when buying 8x32 binos, that the store in Dublin (the only one that sells decent binos) hadn't much of a range. I tried (old version) Ultravids v. Swaro EL's. v. Zeiss (FL's, I think....) and bought the Ultras. A couple of days later I took them back and exchanged them for the Swaro ELs. (Various reasons, I don't want to offend Ultra owners). I don't use the EL's all the time, but if I were limited to one "desert island" pair of binos, it would definitely be the Swaro EL 8x32. I used to own the EL 10x42 also, but found them too heavy and didn't like the thumb groove. The groove on the 8x32 is perfect, I stress, for My Hands. The eyecups are hard plastic but comfortable and perfect for My Eye-sockets. I don't get any cast or noticeable CA or pincushioning or any of that techno-stuff that I don't really understand anyway....I just love the view, they're comfortable, crystal clear, bright, wide FOV, easy in one or two hands, light. The accessories...well, the strap is fine, the light plastic case is a joke (although this may have changed since I bought mine 4 years ago). I use a case from an old pair of Bressers I got in Lidl and gave away. I also changed the hard-plastic one-piece rainguard for a soft rubber one from the Bressers. After-sales service by Swaro is brilliant, makes you feel like a Rolls-Royce owner, and any Swaro kit I've ever sent for service, etc., they've never charged me a cent. (I stress that my EL 8x32's have never needed any servicing). A word of warning...if you buy from the store in Dublin, haggle the price down to the "on-line" equivalent from the UK, but be sure to carefully check your units...the one I was given had a black speck in one barrel, but they were happy to let me try a few pairs. If you're in the Bray area, feel free to come and try mine, then buy PostcardCV's and save a few euro....Best of Luck, let us know what you decide.

Last edited:
Thanks Sancho et al.

Am I right in saying that early Swaro 8x32ELs had hard plastic cups, but the current ones have rubber eyecups?

Thanks Sancho et al.

Am I right in saying that early Swaro 8x32ELs had hard plastic cups, but the current ones have rubber eyecups?

nope, the design of eyecups has not changed on the ELs - they are very comfortable on the eye.

Thanks Sancho et al.

Could very well be, Dialyt. I purchased mine within the last year and the eye cups are definitely rubber -- somewhat firm, but pliable and comfortable. By the way, I also purchased the 2x doubler at the same time; this tool really increases the utility of the overall package. As per straps and cases - don't really remember! I'm in the habit of supplying my own from other sources as I .... 1), have a long back and need an extra long strap, and 2), prefer a field bag large enough for both bin, field guide and lens cleaning supplies. It's not right or wrong ... it's just how I roll.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back