• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whatever Happened To Swaro's Latest Bin? (1 Viewer)

First of all, comparing a binocular coating to brakes on a car is a ridiculous comparison. All cars come with brakes, not all bin's come with a hydrophobic coating, no matter how expensive they are. Swarovski is usually well behind the technology curve relative to Leica IME and since Swaro doesn't tout such a coating like Zeiss or Leica, it's logical to assume there is none...

Finally, Swarovski is an Austrian Co., not a German one so your Porsche analogy falls down further. :t:

0) as regards the question what is logical to assume I am not going to argue with you o:D

1) Swarovski had the Easy-Clean, now Swaroclean coating quite some time before Leica had a similar system!

2) Porsches are made in Germany but Ferdinand Porsche has been an Austrian, and the company is still firmly in the hands off his austrian relatives. There was less distinction between these countries when the company was set up, though...

3) I did not compare coatings to brakes. it was a so-called analogy.
Assuming Swaroski would give up its repellent (NOT hydrophobic!) coating in their new top-line instruments is like assuming a race-car company stopped having braking-assistance in their new top line, ultra-expensive cars. The fact that the repellant coating is mentioned ubiquitously in combination with the new ELs shows there's no further need to discuss or speculate.

4) To please your mode of thinking I would have picked an austrian car maker, of course, .... if there were any.

Last edited:
0) as regards the question what is logical to assume I am not going to argue with you o:D

1) Swarovski had the Easy-Clean, now Swaroclean coating quite some time before Leica had a similar system!

2) Porsches are made in Germany but Ferdinand Porsche has been an Austrian, and the company is still firmly in the hands off his austrian relatives. There was less distinction between these countries when the company was set up, though...

3) I did not compare coatings to brakes. it was a so-called analogy.
Assuming Swaroski would give up its repellent (NOT hydrophobic!) coating in their new top-line instruments is like assuming a race-car company stopped having braking-assistance in their new top line, ultra-expensive cars. The fact that the repellant coating is mentioned ubiquitously in combination with the new ELs shows there's no further need to discuss or speculate.

4) To please your mode of thinking I would have picked an austrian car maker, of course, .... if there were any.

does that mean the water will stay on the lens, instead of being repelled by coating, like Bushnell's rainguard?

"We have discovered during the transition to series production that the manufacturing tolerances we have imposed on ourselves with this unique product design do not allow us to produce the high number of items that we need using the production technologies available. In view of the fact that our export share exceeds 90%, we aim to be in a position to supply both our international trade partners and our customers equally and in line with demand, so we do not give rise to long waiting times between placing of the order at the dealership and receipt of the binoculars by the customer, we consider it necessary to harmonise construction-related tolerances even more precisely with state of the art production technologies. For this reason the start of delivery has been postponed until the first quarter of 2010 with the existing, multi-award winning models of the EL 42 available throughout 2009"

T

I think I can translate this. It means, "Our current EL´s, some of the best binoculars in the world, are reaching the end of their Product Life-Cycle, so we need to innovate and "diversify". We thought we could produce a sexy new binocular, but as it turns out, we couldn´t because we were far too ambitious. So we screwed up really badly. Then there was this whole global recession thing, and most of you are far more careful about how you spend your cash, especially if you´ve lost your jobs. Which means a new pair of Swaros, even if they do have much larger oculars, is not a priority for you. Because with the Swaros you have, you can see all the birds you want".

Thank you in advance. Yes, I am a qualified translator;), even of marketing-speak. And I´m not knocking Swaro as a company, they are superb and everyone should buy EL´s. Great bins, great after-sales. And over the year I´ve bought three, in 10x, 8x32 and 8.5x42 configuration. (And if you´re wondering, get the 8.5x42).

Ok, allIwannaknowis, will the image thru the new Swaro be sharper, brighter, clearer and wider than what I have now. Don't care about IPD, edge "softness", balance, waterproofness, etc. Care about image.

This was actually a pretty clever publicity stunt by those Austrians, dropping hints about a new superglass, then pulling back to create anticipation and get all the bino mavens on the blogs in a stir.....so that when the big release finally comes, it'll be touted as the best thing since night baseball, or disposable diapers, or TV dinners, or....pick your own best thing.

The few things about the EL that are imperfect, will be made perfect. Everything that is already perfect, will be made from 5% to 18% more perfect. People will actually prefer viewing objects at the edge of the field, will seek out the worst possible backlit situations, and will have to learn to not center their eyes behind the oculars. It will simply be too good to use in a normal way. Hey, maybe they redesigned the little silver hawks too, now that I could relate to.

"We have discovered during the transition to series production that the manufacturing tolerances we have imposed on ourselves with this unique product design do not allow us to produce the high number of items that we need using the production technologies available. In view of the fact that our export share exceeds 90%, we aim to be in a position to supply both our international trade partners and our customers equally and in line with demand, so we do not give rise to long waiting times between placing of the order at the dealership and receipt of the binoculars by the customer, we consider it necessary to harmonise construction-related tolerances even more precisely with state of the art production technologies. For this reason the start of delivery has been postponed until the first quarter of 2010 with the existing, multi-award winning models of the EL 42 available throughout 2009"

A quote from here:
http://www.swarovski-optik.info/ind...&newsID=1224230476__ID48f8464c77d912.06890581

You must click on the http-line, a new page will open that yields the "whole story".

T

As soon as I got access to some "insider knowledge" a few weeks ago (as a new employee) this was one of the first things I tried to find out ;). what I understand from the technicians is that it takes the same amount of gearing to get from infinity to 3m as it does to get from 3m to 1.5m. everything seemed to have been worked out and the initial pre-serial production was all rather good. unfortunately, in going from small number production to large-scale/bulk production they found that an unacceptably high proportion were not perfect and had to be re-worked. given that these guys in production are obsessed with quality, this caused some real stress. they decided that the system would need to be re-worked until everything was functioning perfectly before launching the product (even though this must have really hurt).

I have spoken to pretty much everyone involved in this project from bottom to top and not once has anyone mentioned anything about the global economy being even remotely a factor. if initial serial production had been successful - as assumed/planned - then we would have seen this binocular on the market this year.

Granted, I now work for the company, but the first time I saw these new Swarovision ELs, I was stunned: they really are incredible. :t:

Happy birding,
Dale

As soon as I got access to some "insider knowledge" a few weeks ago (as a new employee) this was one of the first things I tried to find out ;). what I understand from the technicians is that it takes the same amount of gearing to get from infinity to 3m as it does to get from 3m to 1.5m. everything seemed to have been worked out and the initial pre-serial production was all rather good. unfortunately, in going from small number production to large-scale/bulk production they found that an unacceptably high proportion were not perfect and had to be re-worked. given that these guys in production are obsessed with quality, this caused some real stress. they decided that the system would need to be re-worked until everything was functioning perfectly before launching the product (even though this must have really hurt).

I have spoken to pretty much everyone involved in this project from bottom to top and not once has anyone mentioned anything about the global economy being even remotely a factor. if initial serial production had been successful - as assumed/planned - then we would have seen this binocular on the market this year.

Granted, I now work for the company, but the first time I saw these new Swarovision ELs, I was stunned: they really are incredible. :t:

Happy birding,
Dale

Thank you Dale! And this is a perfect example of why this class of bin is not only more expensive but also more valuable than something out of China! A company such as Swarovski WILL hold production when they find a fault because they have their technical pride, reputation, and the expectations of Swarovski customers at forefront of their business. This will lead them to hold up production and not release a product such as one that suffers from serious "stray light issues"....

You mean like Nikon, who produce bins in China? I thought you found the SEs to be of high quality :t:

Thank you Dale! And this is a perfect example of why this class of bin is not only more expensive but also more valuable than something out of China! A company such as Swarovski WILL hold production when they find a fault because they have their technical pride, reputation, and the expectations of Swarovski customers at forefront of their business. This will lead them to hold up production and not release a product such as one that suffers from serious "stray light issues"....

You mean like Nikon, who produce bins in China? I thought you found the SEs to be of high quality :t:

this terrible world we live in is so much more complicated than some minds are capable of imagining :king:

Attachments

• b8c3_3.JPG
    b8c3_3.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 194

No, Kristoffer, I'm sure that CL is referring to the ZenRay, see the stray light
issues brought out very well in the "Holger Merlitz" review.

I'm sure changes will be coming out to correct those deficiencies.

Dale, I have no doubt the bins are incredible... it also very interesting to hear the engineering/production challenges. These sort of helpful responses are why I asked in the first place.

BUT, you or anyone has yet answered the question, is the Swaro coating similar to Zeiss's Lotutec or Leica's (whatever its called) "hydrophobic" coating? IE, does your coating "scatter" H2o like the Zeiis/Leica coatings?

PS, I've been to your mfg facility in the Tyrol and have owned several excellent Swaro glasses, including my all-time favorite bin, the 7x30 SLC... now if you all would ever see fit to offer a 7x32 EL (etc), you'd have something great, and I'd be an owner right now!

Last edited:
BUT, you or anyone has yet answered the question, is the Swaro coating similar to Zeiss's Lotutec or Leica's (whatever its called) "hydrophobic" coating? IE, does your coating "scatter" H2o like the Zeiis/Leica coatings?

as far as I know, SwaroClean (what Swarovski Optik calls their fancy schmancy keep-the-water-and-dirt-off-the-lenses coating) has been standard for a good many years and is not really marketed. I agree that it is great to have, but it is nowadays pretty much expected in high quality optics. Searching for the term "Swaroclean" on our website essentially renders a list of our products.

Swarodur on the other hand is the relatively hard-wearing coating used on the outer lenses, replacing the very delicate Swarotop which is used on the internal lenses. I met the head of the coatings team the other day and it was absolutely fascinating what and how they are doing it - and how much time and effort they put in to developing and improving the coatings.

So, to answer your original question, the new EL Swarovision will most certainly have Swaroclean.

Happy birding,
Dale

as far as I know, SwaroClean (what Swarovski Optik calls their fancy schmancy keep-the-water-and-dirt-off-the-lenses coating) has been standard for a good many years and is not really marketed. I agree that it is great to have, but it is nowadays pretty much expected in high quality optics. Searching for the term "Swaroclean" on our website essentially renders a list of our products.

Swarodur on the other hand is the relatively hard-wearing coating used on the outer lenses, replacing the very delicate Swarotop which is used on the internal lenses. I met the head of the coatings team the other day and it was absolutely fascinating what and how they are doing it - and how much time and effort they put in to developing and improving the coatings.

So, to answer your original question, the new EL Swarovision will most certainly have Swaroclean.

Happy birding,
Dale
Nice to have someone from Swaro on board BF, Dale, and congratulations on the new job! Sounds pretty ideal for an optics nut....;). If they have an opening for a Tea-Boy, let me know.....

Nice to have someone from Swaro on board BF, Dale, and congratulations on the new job! Sounds pretty ideal for an optics nut....;). If they have an opening for a Tea-Boy, let me know.....

I thought a full time, traveling, field test person would be the ideal job :-O :-O

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back