• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The new 8x30 CLl's (1 Viewer)

Last edited:
$1230 seems an awful lot for bins unless the CL are just topnotch. Would be inclined to the used market or refurbished.

Got a bottle of Lavagulin when visiting cousins in Scotland last year. Should finish over the winter. Hope to see them next April, maybe could talk them into a trip to Islay to restore supply of Scotch- birding good in Islay in April?

Mike

I can certainly recommend the Lagavulin, and after a few wee drams who cares or can perceive the subtle differences of the alpha bins?
In the meantime enjoy the Lagavulin if you like peaty malts.

Drinking alcohol in excess constricts the pupils, so you're correct, you won't be able to tell the difference because the smaller pupil size will improve your vision acuity if you can manage to get the binoculars up to your eyes! It also decreases your peripheral vision so you won't notice the fuzzy edges and it decreases contrast sensitivity so you won't miss that extra zip from the $2K alphas.

Proposal for a Lagavulin commercial:

CLOSE UP on WILLIAM WALLACE'S face as he is about to be executed. OFF CAMERA the voice of EDWARD I asks if he has any last requests.

WALLACE whispers, "I'd like a shot of 16-year-old Islay Peaty Malt Lagavulin Whiskey so my men won't see me in pain".

PULL BACK to show WALLACE downing the shot of whiskey.

MEDIUM SHOT of the executioner as he reaches down to rip out WALLACE'S heart, WALLACE pushes the executioner's arm away and takes the bottle of Lagavulin out of Edward I's hand and pulls it to his chest.

WALLACE shouts: You can take my brave heart, but you cannot take my LAGAVULIN!

FADE TO BLACK.

Last edited:
It could be that Lagavulin might help with CA and rolling ball, but can it expand the CLs field of view? Perhaps Talisker or Longmorn ... wish I could afford any of those. My EIIs cost only 3 bottles of Lagavulin!

What was this thread about?

Well, it would sure be a nice change of pace from hearing about the amazing (or is it spectacular?) Alpen 10x25 Wings ED again.

Brock

Brock
Since you consider yourself to be a cub reporter and master reseacher, I would be curious for you to tell us all how many times I used the words "amazing" or "spectacular".

I will be waiting for your count.

Tom

$1230 seems an awful lot for bins unless the CL are just topnotch. Would be inclined to the used market or refurbished.

Mike

And this is just the beginning for you guys in the US with the collapse of the dollar and the mega-inflation just a few months ahead.
$1230 will seem a bargain by the end of the 2011

Prices in the UK have been quoted for the new Swarovski CL Companion as £790 for the 8x30 and £820 for the 10x30. Since these are perceived as Zeiss Conquest competitors, could these partly explain why the 8x30 Conquest is now a hefty £820 from Hong Kong?

And this is just the beginning for you guys in the US with the collapse of the dollar and the mega-inflation just a few months ahead.
$1230 will seem a bargain by the end of the 2011

People needn't worry about mega-inflation at the end of 2011, with mega-death coming in 2012... :)

http://2012apocalypse.net/

For someone like me who was around when the price of gasoline in the US was 35 cents a gallon, $1,230 for a CL will never seem like a "bargain" no matter how many greenbacks the US Treasury churns out or how many foreign investors buy them up. Plus, I rarely buy "new" so retail prices are not a concern.

The Swaro 8x30 SLCneu is a bigger "bargain" than the CLs and an even better bargain on the used market. Plus, with Meopta about to launch an ED line, unless someone is a really diehard Swaro fan and cannot change his "neural-behavioral pathways," I can't see the appeal of the CL on the second tier shelf with so many other good quality bins to be had for the same price or less.

I don't want to minimize the impact of the possibility of inflation on families whose budgets are already tight, but for some people $1,230 is (donald) trump change, and if they want to have to "latest and if not greatest," they'll buy it even if they already bought a full sized SV EL, FL, or Ubervid and want something lighter and more compact to supplement their big boyz.

Or they may do what Dennis did, buy an "oldie but goodie" midsized alpha at a nice price.

For the rest of us who can't afford a new alpha, the advice given recently to find a used bin in very good condition makes very good sen$e, not just for the coming year of mega-inflation (if it comes) but for any time. Particularly now with Leica's "Good Will" waranty, Nikon's "No Fault" policy, and Swaro's (well, I don't know if they are going to continue to service out of warranty or non-warrantied bins) and Zeiss's transferable warranty. Plus all the mid-priced optics companies that have followed suit.

There are a multitude of good quality binoculars out there that can be had for even less $ than the CL on the used market.

For example, here's a LNIB 8x32 EL that sold $1,136.11 last month on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380341103445&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Here's my suggestion for the birder-on-a-budget.

Take a "Nicobin" and resist the craving for the latest alpha, and avoid "panic buying," and calmly and patiently explore the world of good quality "pre-owned" optics. Or if you're not ideological opposed to buying optics from a hybrid communist-capitalist country, buy a good Chinbin.

But don't wait too long, you will need your bins to hunt for rats to eat after next year's Apocalypse! :)

Brock

Last edited:
People needn't worry about mega-inflation at the end of 2011, with mega-death coming in 2012... :)

For someone like me who was around when the price of gasoline in the US was 35 cents a gallon, $1,230 for a CL will never seem like a "bargain" no matter how many greenbacks the US Treasury churns out or how many foreign investors buy them up. Plus, I rarely buy "new" so retail prices are not a concern.

The Swaro 8x30 SLCneu is a bigger "bargain" than the CLs and an even better bargain on the used market. Plus, with Meopta about to launch an ED line, unless someone is a really diehard Swaro fan and cannot change his "neural-behavioral pathways," I can't see the appeal of the CL on the second tier shelf with so many other good quality bins to be had for the same price or less.

I don't want to minimize the impact of the possibility of inflation on families whose budgets are already tight, but for some people $1,230 is (donald) trump change, and if they want to have to "latest and if not greatest," they'll buy it even if they already bought a full sized SV EL, FL, or Ubervid and want something lighter and more compact to supplement their big boyz.

Or they may do what Dennis did, buy an "oldie but goodie" midsized alpha at a nice price.

For the rest of us who can't afford a new alpha, the advice given recently to find a used bin in very good condition makes very good sen$e, not just for the coming year of mega-inflation (if it comes) but for any time. Particularly now with Leica's "Good Will" waranty, Nikon's "No Fault" policy, and Swaro's (well, I don't know if they are going to continue to service out of warranty or non-warrantied bins) and Zeiss's transferable warranty. Plus all the mid-priced optics companies that have followed suit.

There are a multitude of good quality binoculars out there that can be had for even less $ than the CL on the used market.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380341103445&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Take a "Nicobin" and resist the craving for the latest alpha, and avoid "panic buying," and calmly and patiently explore the world of good quality "pre-owned" optics. Or if you're not ideological opposed to buying optics from a hybrid communist-capitalist country, buy a good Chinbin.

But don't wait too long, you will need your bins to hunt for rats to eat after next year's Apocalypse! :)

Brock

Jeez, Brock we all know you have an inexplicable vendetta against Swaro but give it a rest. Amazing how you never mention price when it comes to the EDG, but with Swaro it's always price, price, price. Silly, really. Don't buy one, who cares.

As for the CL, no one has really seen one yet so to keep "reviewing" it is ridiculous.

Mark

Only really of any use for a spare pair in the car or for backpacking; certainly not up to the job of regular birding. Sorry this is not very technical; just did not like them. The 12X50 - well thats another story!! Great binocular for open country birding and means the 'scope can be left at home. And not too heavy unless you're carrying a bunch of other kit.
Russ

Brock

Brock:

It seems the Swaroviski CL is just being shipped to retailers here in the USA, and so nobody here has posted their thoughts.

A common selling price seems to be $929. for the 8x30 and that is available in
green, black, and tan. Much less than the $1,230. you mention above.

I am wondering about your comment about panic buying, so relax,;) these are a
new market entry point for Swarovski, and that is the mid-level. Just a bit less
than the very best, which is the EL SV and the SLC HD.

The 8x30 SLC, was in this same class, very well received, and an important choice
for those looking for a high quality, small binocular.

Jerry

Brock:

It seems the Swaroviski CL is just being shipped to retailers here in the USA, and so nobody here has posted their thoughts.

A common selling price seems to be $929. for the 8x30 and that is available in
green, black, and tan. Much less than the $1,230. you mention above.

I am wondering about your comment about panic buying, so relax,;) these are a
new market entry point for Swarovski, and that is the mid-level. Just a bit less
than the very best, which is the EL SV and the SLC HD.

The 8x30 SLC, was in this same class, very well received, and an important choice

Jerry

Jerry,

$1,230 was the price Stargazer quoted, not sure where he got that, (maybe that was the price after mega-inflation).

As to the rest, you completely misunderstood my post. I must have accidentally lapsed into my native tongue – English. 

No time for hermeneutics. I’m on vacation. I look forward to reading your “American” review of the CL!

Meanwhile, check out the comments from the other side of the pond on the CL in post above yours and in Toni Maroni’s post (#4).

Brock

Last edited:
Brock:

Jerry

Actually not, the 8x30 SLC has a 136/1000 FOV and very high quality optics which puts it straight away in a different league compared to the new CL with its 124/1000, typical of an upper-midrange glass like the Zeiss Conquest indeed.
Besides the 8x30 SLC has the same optical quality as the EL 8x32, it remains to be seen if that can also be said of the CL.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back