• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovision 8X32...SE death knell (1 Viewer)

You didn't read the manual.

The goofy overly big case is to pad out your lederhosen.

:)))

For those who don't want to put it there and are looking for a small, good-fitting case, try the case for the Zeiss Conquest 8/10x30 (the previous model). It is not expensive and fits the 8x32 SV like a glove. The Zeiss logo comes of quite easily :)

The Leica 8x32 case is a bit too tight, especially its height. It is better padded though, but also more expensive. The Zeiss 8x32 FL case is too wide and a bit too short.

BTW the strap can be adjusted to leave the bins hanging high on your chest. That one is also in the manual :)

George

I moved the diopter one more click on my 8.5X42 SV and it's now as sharp as three 8X32 SE samples. The 8X32 is the same.
The focus on my 8.5X42 is now as smooth as glass, in either direction, and much faster than my SE.
The 8.5 SV image is quite natural. The 8X32 is even better. I'm not sure what Swarovski did with the 8X32 but they did it right.

I'm a fan of long-term ownership reviews. I've used an 8X32 SE for many years and my wife, though not an avid birder, has probably logged more time on her SE than many BF "experts". She was immediately impressed with the 8X32 SV, commenting that the view was more relaxed than the SE. Yes, her latest SE bears a 550... serial number. The new 8X32 SV is for her, not me.

If you can afford the best I recommend either the 8X32 or 8.5X42 SV. I didn't see much benefit to the 10X42 or 12X50 but the 10X50 is a killer for those who want 10X with a large aperture. Older folks or anyone who wants a lightweight, state-of-the-art optic will/should love the 8X32 SV.

I'll keep and use my SE for a long time. It's lighter than the 8.5 and the view is legendary. If price is an issue and you're after the best view for your money, consider the 8X32 SE. It will always be a great choice if, and only if, you can live with its limitations. Despite claims to the contrary, I've yet to see any proof SE eyepieces will survive direct rain. Covering the bin with a rainguard or hiding it under your jacket is not "birding in the rain." Of course that's just my opinion based on fogging an SE with a few drops of cleaner on one eyepiece.

Save your coffee money and buy an SV!

You forgot....

Not as sharp as the SE
No 3D image like the SE
Depth of field not as good as the SE
Can's see as much detail on the bird as the SE
Not as good optically as the SE
Waterproof but I don't use them in the rain anyway
Focus not as smooth as the SE
Some people like the ergos of the SE better
Cost 4X as much as the SE
Known to get fungus inside the objectives
Focus is harder to turn one way
Strap is too long hit's me in the jewels and makes me yodel
Comes with goofy overly big case
Not as good optically as the SE
Not as sharp as the SE
Doesn't give me as good of view of the bird
Not as sharp as the SE
No 3D view like the SE
Depth of field not as good as the SE

I`v yet to look through an SE, I really could`nt care less which is optically better, I`d love to own both, but, fundamentally, IMO, with the caveat of not having tried the SE, the SE has limitations, the SV does not, it can be used from the Tropics to the Arctic without a care, this makes it a 21st Century tool of excellence, not a classic to cherish for the pure joy of ownership.

And yes the SE is on my optical bucket list.

Dennis, returned to explain the reason for my query two posts up, and find it's also reflected in the post after that (by T.) Here in the tropics mould and fungus forms easily on lenses and prisms unless made waterproof with inert gas filling (which the Swaro. SV series is). I know of many bins without wproofing. ruined that way, including some of mine. In fact, when I learnt (some years ago) of the Nikon SE series, and its optical excellence, I was very disappointed I had to dismiss the idea of getting one, for that reason.

Last edited:
The question is would you rather have the VERY best view of the bird 99% of the time in dry weather and pay $600.00 for the SE or worry about a 1 in 100 chance that it might rain and pay $2400.00 for the SV. I guess it depends on where you live and bird. Wet climate or dry climate like Denver.

It isn't entirely that simple though Dennis. If my understanding of the SE is accurate it doesn't even use rubber O-rings like many external focus porro prism models. Because of the physical action of the eyepiece moving in and out of the prism housing extension air, and subsequently dust, moves in and out of the binocular. Sadly this dust can "stick" to the last ocular element surface and then become "focused" in the field of view. I find this extremely distracting for my intended applications.

Though from a different source this issue is the primary reason why I didn't buy a ZR Prime in the initial production run.

I have owned three SE 8x32s. All of them were 2nd hand and two of the three of them suffered from this issue. Luckily enough Henry was kind enough to instruct me as to how to remedy this issue.

I wonder if this particular flaw in the SE's construction has been discussed before? Either on this forum or Cloudy Nights or on other binocular forums. I suppose it also applies to many other porro prism binoculars, like for instance Nikon EIIs and Swift's Model 804. I doubt if it is limited to the SE.

Bob

It's funny how a bin is [one week] the best ever and [the next] is dumped on with a litany of problems no one ever seemed to know existed before the creation of said thread.

The SE goes from hero to zero in sixty seconds flat.......fickle!

It's funny how a bin is [one week] the best ever and [the next] is dumped on with a litany of problems no one ever seemed to know existed before the creation of said thread.

"If it's on the internet it must be trooo!"

Dudley Doright

(Dudley has been pensioned from the Mounties and now lives in a rest home with his horse, Rocky the flying squirrel and Bullwinkle Moose. Dudley no longer believes that all that is true is in the newspaper. Nell ran away with Snively Whiplash years ago and has not been heard from since.)

It's in second place, just behind the 8X32 SV.
After chasing merlins around the dunes for a few hours before sunset I have to say (once again) that the 8X32 SE is the best porro on the planet. Think of it as the "merlin" of porros.

I wonder if this particular flaw in the SE's construction has been discussed before? Either on this forum or Cloudy Nights or on other binocular forums. I suppose it also applies to many other porro prism binoculars, like for instance Nikon EIIs and Swift's Model 804. I doubt if it is limited to the SE.

Bob

Given finite resources, when one bino costs 3x more than another "less robust" bino of similar IQ and repair warranty, those economically efficient should just buy two of lesser bino to have one in reserve in the event the other needs repair/refurbishment.

Those with infinite resources know they can do whatever in the hell they want!8-P

Nikon SE's are simply great binoculars at a very good value. At the very top in the catagory of binocular that they are in.

But....... they come with some caveats. For example- many products have a charts or graphs listing characteristics and attributes that has boxes for checking those off; the SE's do not check off all the boxes.

The Swaro SV's to me check off all the boxes.

As far as the limitations of the SE being mentioned before this- Those limitations have been discussed thoroughly here in this forum in the past.

Nikon SE's are simply great binoculars at a very good value. At the very top in the catagory of binocular that they are in.

But....... they come with some caveats. For example- many products have a charts or graphs listing characteristics and attributes that has boxes for checking those off; the SE's do not check off all the boxes.

The Swaro SV's to me check off all the boxes.
There is a pleasure when you use the SE's knowing you have the very best optics available for 1/3 the cost of a top roof prism even with their shortcomings. They have a different type of view than a roof so it makes them unique. The 3D effect can be addictive.

Some people see 3D (I don't). Some people see Rolling Ball (I don't).

Maybe I am blind. Although, with the 10x32 SV's I can quite clearly read the "Warning, guard dog" sign 400 yards away on a neighbors fence. Couldn't quite make it out with the SE's, but more magnification helps I'm sure. To be fair, can't quite make it out with the 8x SLC's either, so nothing bad against the SE's.

John F

There is a pleasure when you use the SE's knowing you have the very best optics available for 1/3 the cost of a top roof prism even with their shortcomings. They have a different type of view than a roof so it makes them unique. The 3D effect can be addictive.

Very, very true. Whats happening- I am agreeing with Dennis :eek!:

I get the same sort of feeling when I look through my mint Swift 6x30 Seahawk Porro binoculars ( circa 1966 ). They cost me ( 2nd hand) about what my 6x30 Leupold Yosemite's cost; but- the view through the Swift Seahawks is simply outstanding. Crisper and more snap and clarity than the Leupold Yo's. The Swifts feel and operate like a fine piece of art, and work like a finely made watch. And I find it interesting that as much as people think highly of the 6x30 Leupolds ( as I do too), they are not near as crisp and clear as the Swifts which are 50+ years older.

But... I baby the Swift's since they are not H2O proof and they are a Vintage type of Antique. That being said, if I am looking at grabbing a 6x power wide FOV for a sporting event like a football game played in good weather, I reach for the Swift 6x30 Seahawks rather than the 6x30 Yo's. Now if I am hunting late season Blacktails in thick cover and I want 6x and weather calls for rain, I reach for the 6x30 Yo's that I do not have to baby.

Dennis, sorry to bother, but I think my query got lost! In your list of negative points about the Swaro. SV 8x32 (each on a spearate line) you say: Known to get fungus inside the objectives. Where (geogr.) did this happen, I wonder, in a high-quality wproof. instrument? Maybe the line got there by mistake - that's more likely in the negatives of the Nikon SE!

Seriously considering this SV since recently. Here fungus forms easily when a bin is not wproof. and can ruin it. The price of this model is a problem (for more than the obvious reason, in my case) - was only partly in jest when I said I'm looking for reasons not to buy it! If what you say is actually happening in the initial runs I have to postpone (with some relief!) considering this model till I learn it's fixed (and get back to looking for an 8x42 in a narrowed selection).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back