• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Focusers: facts at last. (1 Viewer)

No amount of verbal abuse from the Zeiss Fan Boy Club bothers me because I know deep down inside they are sorry they bought that rusty, stained, fogged up Zeiss with all those metal fragments clunking around inside of it. I have changed over to a Canon 10x42 IS-L anyway. It has 40% better resolution than the Zeiss SF and has a rock steady view and costs about a 1/3 of the price of the Zeiss SF so no amount of Swaro bashing can hurt me anymore. The Canon 10x42 IS-L will give you a better view than any other 10x42 binocular. Excuse me I will be down at the Canon binoculars threads. There are too many Zeiss Fan Boys around here. You know you should have a thread just for Zeiss Fan Boys where you can tell everybody how much you love them and exactly where you have your Zeiss tatoo. HaHa.:king::king::king::king::king:

Actually I am a Nikon Fan Boy. I'm not sure how many I own.

You know what they say don't you? "If you know how many Nikons you own then you don't own enough of them."

Bob

Actually I am a Nikon Fan Boy. I'm not sure how many I own.

You know what they say don't you? "If you know how many Nikons you own then you don't own enough of them."

Bob
That was the most bromidic post I have ever read. That quote has only been used about 1000 times before.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, please keep your posts on topic and quit sniping at each other.
Thank you.

Calling time on ‘anecdotal’ evidence

After reading Steve C.'s post where he referred to (hopefully jokingly) everybody who ever experienced focuser problems with Swaros as "OCD," and then calling for some objective test as the only answer to this debate, it was obvious that his post proved the hopelessness of such a test.

After all, who would set the standard for a machine or device to test what level of "stiction" or how much harder a focuser turns in one direction than the other or how much "squeak" is acceptable for everybody?

Binoculars are used by humans and only the humans who use the binoculars can be the judge of these things. It's not like doing a resolution test or photographing CA or SA, etc. (even then, these tests are often preformed at high powers, so what they find may not be noticeable by the human eye @ 8x or 10x).

"Anecdotal" is all we have when it comes to focusers, and that might not be a bad thing even though it's often dismissed because in this age of science, objectivity is seen as the "end all authority." Not necessarily when it comes to human behavior, as this researcher writes:

A ceasefire may have been declared in the paradigm wars but ideas about what counts as real evidence runs deep argues Dr Cathy Sharp, Director of Research for Real. We lose too many chances to learn about what matters when stories of lived experience, that can cut to the heart of the issues, are discounted. Research and evaluation reports, Sharp argues, provide information and argument but stories provide insight and the empathy needed for action.

calling-time-on-anecdotal-evidence/

You would. Is that kind of an insider Zeiss Fan Boy joke meant to humiliate other members like me. Well, I don't find it funny because it is at my expense.

No Dennis it wasn't meant to humiliate anybody.

Back on topic, this Zeiss fan-boy discovered a nugget of info concerning Swaro focusers that strongly suggested that Swaro does not have an exceptional problem with focusers.

In the interests of fair play I felt I should pass this on through BF.

Lee

I've waited very long whether I would make this post or not, but I guess my experience with Swarovski may be heard as well.

My experience with swaro focusers is not so good.
My first SLC was returned to the store 3 days after because of a squeeky focuser.
My SV50 is very smooth and even, but developed a bit of play when changing directions. It is acceptable when it stays like this, but I think it should not happen on such an expensive bin.
My second SLC developed a squeeky focuser after a couple of weeks, but it disappeared for a while after rinsing it under tap water.
My SV32 was sent back to Absam for a very, very uneven focuser, and returned even worse than it was.
Sent it off to Absam again with a checklist which contained 4 things to check, it returned with only a focuser overhaul, and it was still as shitty as it was after the first repair. Very uneven feel and a lot of stiction. 3 remaining things were not even looked at.
Total time that I had to miss the SV32, 2 months. And still not ok. Now I'm on holiday with a bino which is impossible to fine focus.
Made a complaint, but got the answer they could do nothing more than ask me to send it to the factory i.s.o. the repair departement for a complete overhaul, and I could ask if the local importer of Swaro Belgium had a replacement bin to take with me on holiday. Which I didn't.

If I knew all of this before spending 8000€ worth of Swarovski optics over the last 1.5 years.....
Problems can and will occur with every brand, but what counts is how they solve them.
I wish I could, but I can't confirm the raving words about Swarovski service.
Or is it it just me being too critical..... ? When I pay top dollar, may I expect top customer service as well?
I've been VERY patient, but at this moment I am really disappointed in Swarovski.

B.t.w. I'm still in Sweden, so I don't have internet access all day long, and can't reply quickly.

P.s. I'm not trying to bash Swarovski with the story above, I just wanted to share my experience. (and a bit of venting from my side as well, this issue is bugging me for over a month now.) To be continued.

Uhu,

Don't know where you've bought your optics, but Swarovski Benelux offers lent bins (in case of repairs) for the purposes you describe.
Next time ask the dealer for it (assuming he is a official Swaro dealer)!!!

Jan

Last edited:
1) why would someone at Zeiss know this demographic information about Swaro's sales?

2)most of Swaro customers are hunters

Brock

This exercise was about seeking clarity, not proving anyone right or wrong.

1) There are dozens of people in Zeiss worldwide who's job it is to know what the competition is doing. I contacted two, and I also asked Swarovski direct. I got two answers. In the end this figure is not important in relation to the information obtained from the dealer because:

2) 95% of this dealer's customers are birders / general users.

Given that I guaranteed anonymity and he didn't rate Swaro as the best in this respect, but at least up to the alpha average, I am content with the accuracy of the information.

Lee

My dear Brock,

We have had our ups and downs here for sure. However I must gratefully and most respectfully decline your invitation for a mud wrestling contest in your syllable cesspool. My acceptance of your most generous and kind invitation would lead to a new low point to which I am not wiling to descend.

I do have to say however that if you really believe yourself then it seems you are more full of stuffing than the Thanksgiving Turkey. Lately your posts have been taking a shrill and strident tone that suggests a man loosing his grip. Our past disagreements aside, it pains me to observe your descent and I really hope you find some help.

Theres so many side arguments going on that it's damn near impossible to keep up with whats going on any more.

Must be a full moon or something.

Uhu,

Don't know where you've bought your optics, but Swarovski Benelux offers lent bins (in case of repairs) for the purposes you describe.
Next time ask the dealer for it (assuming he is a official Swaro dealer)!!!

Jan

Jan, Swarovski Absam suggested that I could call Tyrolit Belgium to ask if they had a loaner, but I didn't because my own bin is still usable (although, can't call it comfortable, since my focuser is really sticky now, it even "jumps" in anti-clockwise direction)
Will get back on this about how the story continues.

Thanks for the heads up|=)|

Gijs

P.s. Yes, my dealer is an official Swarovski retailer|=)|

Theres so many side arguments going on that it's damn near impossible to keep up with whats going on any more.

Sad is`nt it ?

I originally joined this forum because of the intelligent discussion about optics on these pages, I certainly would`nt join for that reason now, some members I held in esteem are throwing themselves head first off the pedestal, over this and other threads.

I have evaluated my role in the side arguments. I find myself culpable in many regards. I am taking this opportunity to offer an apology to the forum at large. However, I also find that I, sure as heck, am not alone, by a long, long shot in that culpability. I don't think I am alone in needing to offer an apology for my role either. I am stopping that, on my part here and now. I hereby challenge everybody else to cease their role as well. People can not function in a civil society unless the people in the society are themselves civil. If we want a civil forum it is up to us to make it civil. The first step everyone needs to take is to refrain from giving overbearing forum trolls the oxygen they need to function. Just ignore them and hit the report the post button.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back