• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which one of these two cheap binoculars to buy? (1 Viewer)

I suppose the answer is neither one. :)

But anyway, which one would you suggerst?

Thanx!

Bresser Hunter 8x40 $50
https://www.svijet-medija.hr/art/da....net&utm_campaign=nabava.net&utm_medium=click

Bresser Topas 10x25 $35
https://www.svijet-medija.hr/art/da....net&utm_campaign=nabava.net&utm_medium=click

$50 will buy a reasonable meal for two ... not a QUALITY BINOCULAR.

"The bitterness of poor quality lasts much longer that the sweetness of a low price." :cat:

The 8x40 has a possibility of being functional. The 10x25 is guaranteed to be so horrible as to be unusable.

At this price, many units will not be properly collimated/aligned, and many may even have severe assembly flaws in the housing and hinges.

One strategy, which I have used, is to go to a store (or in my case, to the Bushnell distribution center) where you can try before you buy. If you can open the boxes of 10 or so units and check them, you may find the one cherry unit that has been assembled well and that is properly aligned. It still won't be a great binocular, but it may work, at least for a while.

--AP

$50 will buy a reasonable meal for two ... not a QUALITY BINOCULAR.

"The bitterness of poor quality lasts much longer that the sweetness of a low price." :cat:

I would say if that is what one can afford, then a binocular is better than no binocular, and an 8x40 in most price brackets should be usable. :t:

The only $50 binocular I ever looked through felt as if it would pull the eyeballs right out of my head.

I decided that the owner must have exceptionally poor eyesight.

I would say if that is what one can afford, then a binocular is better than no binocular, and an 8x40 in most price brackets should be usable. :t:

In several ways I agree with you. However, we are all products of our experiences. And, few have stood in my shoes trying to tell customers who believe, “I can’t use binoculars,” that they really CAN, but they need to try one that is collimated for a change, instead of being misaligned by 4 degrees on the X-axis and 2.5 on the Y and having NO CLUE that binoculars even NEED to be aligned. One might think logic would handle that. Alas, no.:cat:

Bill

Last edited:
I would go for a Pentax. Olympus or Nikon 8x40 or 8x42.
Some of their basic binoculars may be near $50 and about 8 or 9 out of ten work.

In several ways I agree with you. However, we are all products of our experiences. And, few have stood in my shoes trying to tell customers who believe, “I can’t use binoculars,” that they really CAN, but they need to try one that is collimated for a change, instead of being misaligned by 4 degrees on the X-axis and 2.5 on the Y and having NO CLUE that binoculars even NEED to be aligned. One might think logic would handle that. Alas, no.:cat:

Bill

I would go for a Pentax. Olympus or Nikon 8x40 or 8x42.
Some of their basic binoculars may be near $50 and about 8 or 9 out of ten work.

Agreed definitely look at alternatives, and some bins are definitely much worse than others, so agree to try before you buy if you can - maybe even a seconhand shop could throw up a used decent set if lucky. Always buy the best you can afford, and if you have to wait a little longer to save, it may well be worth it. 8x40 or 42 or even down to a 8x30 is definitely a good place to start though.

Perhaps not the small Olympus and not 10x small.
I recently bought a small Olympus and it isn't good.

Olympus XPS-1 8x40 £49.89. I don't know if cheaper elsewhere.

Nikon 8x42 Aculon £65, but Nikon Action VII is good, older model, maybe cheaper if still found new.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back