• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood mouse or house mouse? (1 Viewer)

House Mouse. Where do ye keep the seed?
In the back porch. I don't think it can get in through the back door, so I won't block where I think it is getting in at least until after the bad weather.

I thought it was too brown for a house mouse :( It's very cute anyway.

They come in a surprising range of shades. Gray, through brown to really quite dark. That one's got a good, winter coat. It's the guard hairs that are darker, giving it that nice appearance.

Mice don't generally make their way through eg. plastic dustbins ~ a rat will, in the blink of an eye! I wouldn't tolerate them mixing with my bird food. Entirely up to you how ye wish to react to their presence, of course. Though the Fire Service say " 70% of 'Fires of Unknown Cause' we attribute to activity by Rodents ".

They certainly do! They've done it to me.

The funniest one we had was a mouse that bored a neat hole through the side of my wife's handbag to get at the stray chocolate that it knew was in there.

Blimey! And we're talking the full on, black dustbins? That's got to be depressing.

I guess this sort of illustrates my own intolerance to mice. They enter my cottage? They have a life expectancy of minutes, if not seconds. They have no time to nibble their way through anything ;)

They're cute. But diseased little sukka's all the same. Total War.

Agree with House Mouse. I'd try plastic bins for starters - if you only get the odd mouse then it might deter them. Wood Mice chew through my metal longworth traps though, so they can and will get through plastic if they really want to. My seed has been safe in plastic bins so far though.

The lid of the seed bucket was open a little bit, so it didn't chew its way in.
I've been away for Christmas, so will keep an eye out to see if it is still around. Lots of cats locally to be delighted when it emerges from porch!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back