• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tennessee Bird (1 Viewer)

MarkHows

Mostly Mammals
Took this in Tennessee last week, not sure what it is, thought mockingbird but the colours look wrong but might just be a trick of the light any ideas.

Attachments

• nash6.jpg
    nash6.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 304
Fifebirder said:
I'm not absolutely sure Mark, but it looks a bit like a Chipping Sparrow to me. I don't think it's a Mockingbird.

Thats because it is a chipping sparrow I put the wrong picture up, I will put the correct one up this evening

Charles Harper said:
Guess so. Strange photo, though-- looks red around the eye.

I can't remember if that was what made me take a photo of it or not, but there was definatly something about it that is not quite right, as you can imagine I saw lots of mockingbirds and this one stood out.

Mark

Well, I'm assuming the greenish hue is a trick of the lighting, otherwise I would have compared it to some kingbird photos. The bill seems to have a strong hook to it, which would be odd for a mockingbird (their bills are decurved yes, but not shrike-like hooked). The tail though - classic mocker.

I can't see any red on or around the eyes on this monitor.

(small edit for clarity)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back