• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this what I think it is? (1 Viewer)

oldsquaw

Old Tooter
I photographed this on the Arkansas River, e. of Pueblo, Colorado Saturday. Or any guesses.

Attachments

• cavsw4.jpg
    cavsw4.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,093
Van, with the light the way it is, it's difficult to tell for sure-- both the forehead and the throat are in relative shadow. As you know from the Nat. Geographic guide and Sibley, Mexican/southwestern Cliff Swallows also have cinnamon foreheads, and its hard to call your bird 'pale-throated'. Any more pix? Any more opinions?

The light was bad, back lit and a thunderstorm was a comming. The bird did have a very buffy throat. The forehead was a bit lighter than it appears. The bird was with 50+ Cliff Swallows.

In my opinion, in was a Cave, Colorado's first (photographed). There are two sight records by one observer (one last fall and one two weeks ago). Van

I'd say Cliff Swallow, southwestern race. There is a blackish patch under the chin (more than just the shading!), and the red on the forehead stops above the front of the eye, on Cave Swallow it would extend behind the eye.

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
I'd say Cliff Swallow, southwestern race. There is a blackish patch under the chin (more than just the shading!), and the red on the forehead stops above the front of the eye, on Cave Swallow it would extend behind the eye.

Michael

I don't know how I missed this one, thanks Jane!

Well, the black-throat isn't a conclusive i.d. feature of Cliff Swallow as fulva and pelodoma races of Cave Swallow can show dark and eveb black on the throat. Nor can I confirm Michael's reference to the extent of the forehead patch going past the eye on Cave Swallow.
However the general tonality of the aforementioned patch is way too dark for Cliff Swallow (it should be similar to the underparts colours).
and I consider this bird to be a Cave Swallow - possibly fulva

I'm with Michael on this one,Cliff Swallow,south-western race,H.p.melanogaster,which shows the darker forehead.
If it was with 50 or so other Cliffs,the odds alone favour this.

That forehead looks a good deal paler than the rufous below the ear-coverts. On a Cave Swallow I think I'm right in saying it shouldn't do that.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back