• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Americans in London (1 Viewer)

Grousemore

A fellow Bird Forum member,Larry Lade was in London for a few hours today on a stop-over before flying to Kenya this evening.

He posted on BF that he'd like to see some UK birds,so I arranged to pick him up at Heathrow Airport this morning.
Having never met him,life was made easier when, on entering the Car Park,I noticed a chap with binoculars gazing intently at a scruffy tree with a Wood Pigeon sitting in it.
Introductions were quickly completed and along with Larry's friend,Steve,a fellow Missourian,we drove back into London to the WWF Wetlands Centre at Barnes.
Several Rose-ringed Parakeets viewed from the car park started things off and we then spent a very pleasant 3 or 4 hours observing a fair selection of birds.
The birds were nearly all new to Larry and Steve and their genuine delight in seeing such birds as Blue Tit,Great Tit,Robin etc. showed they were real enthusiasts;very skillful birders too,with a good eye for detail.
Towards the end of the time there,close views of a Green Woodpecker and some Siskins had been the highlight;until another birder told us of a Bittern showing well at another hide.We went there and immediately saw the Bittern through the obliging scope of a fellow birder,which rounded the day off well.
Back to Heathrow and Larry and I swapped notes and agreed on 42 species as the final count,before goodbyes were said on a very enjoyable day.

Glad you 'lade' on a good day for Larry :D
Interesting choice, Barnes WWT. I think I'd have gone for Staines and Wraysbury. But then I do think that smew are hard to beat!

Grousemore,

WELL DONE....that was an extremely nice thing for you to have done and I congratulate you.

Dave.

Thank you Grousemore.

I was fortunate enough to be afforded a tour at Barnes by a local birdwatcher when I visited last March. The birds where all new and exciting for me as well.

Good job and let us know if you're ever in our area.

dennis

What a great thing to do for one of the colonials, Grousemore!

Larry and I have pm'd a few times, and it turns out he also visits family in Indiana occasionally, and in an area not far from my favorite place, Muscatatuck NWR. I have hopes of meeting up with him myself one day, to show him around the place.

Thanks for showing a fellow American such terrific hospitality!

Excellent Trev, sounds like they had a real treat. Blue Tits and Great Tits really must be great to see the first time round but we get so blasé about it.

Anyway I'll be landing at Heathrow myself on 16 October and staying for a day. Seeing as migration will be in full swing I want Pallas's Warbler, Dusky and/or Radde's Warbler and a White's Thrush. Sort it out will you?

E

Great Stuff, Grousemore.

Sounds like a good day was had by you, Larry and Steve.
:t:

Edward said:
Excellent Trev, sounds like they had a real treat. Blue Tits and Great Tits really must be great to see the first time round but we get so blasé about it.

Anyway I'll be landing at Heathrow myself on 16 October and staying for a day. Seeing as migration will be in full swing I want Pallas's Warbler, Dusky and/or Radde's Warbler and a White's Thrush. Sort it out will you?

E

And what is your list after lunch (LOL)

Nice one! :clap:
Now if I could just find someone like you in Canada.........and win the lottery to afford the air-fare of course!!

I was only kidding Trev' - although I suspect you know that.
This is one of the many great things about the site, not only getting to virtually meet some great characters, but also actually getting to meet some great characters. Hi Jane!

Back home again

I arrived back home in Saint Joseph, Missouri, today.

The hospitality shown to us by Trevor while we were in London was exemplary. It was truly a memorable day. We enjoyed seeing some of the British birds and being in the company of such a fine fellow who was a very gracious host. Thanks again Trevor.

I will post some of the birds seen in Kenya in another thread after I rest up a bit. If any of you find yourselves in the Saint Joseph, Missouri area and want to do some birding, look me up.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back