• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in North Lincolnshire (1 Viewer)

intellectual

England
Hello all,

Went to three different places today, normally go to one. Had an enjoyable day.

Went to North Killingholme nature reserve [a few miles from the port of Immingham]. Driving towards the reserve saw a possible Peregrine swooping down, couldn't give a positive I.D. as it is a busy road etc.

Arrived at the reserve at 13:45 and left at 14:30. The water seemed to be low, but that is nothing unusual.

Got excellent views of a Water Rail going past the hide in full view. Other birds seen were:10-Curlew,27-Teal,2-Shoveller,7-Tufted Duck,9-Redshank,C.Crow, Moorhen, Wood Pigeon, Black-headed Gull and Mallard.

Driving along the A15 towards the Barton-upon-Humber exit, spotted Lapwing feeding in field and a Kestrel sat in a tree.

Arrived at Far Ings nature reserve [almost underneath the Humber Bridge on the south side] at 15:00 and left at 16:20. The birds seen were 12-Canada Geese, 18-Greylag Geese, Blue & Great Tit, Moorhen, Magpie, 1-Grey Heron, C.Crow, 2-Shoveller, Turfed Duck, Coot, Teal, Mallard, 5-Little Grebe, 3-Great-crested Grebe[two displaying], 3-C.Snipe, 2-Pochard, Greenfinch and 1-Smew [female]. Seventy-five per cent of the lake was frozen. Almost all these birds were seen from the Ness Hide.

Lastly went to Worlaby Carrs [turn off the B1204 in Worlaby village] arrived at 16:30 and left at 17:15. I scanned the fields either side of the narrow lane and drove as far as the railway. there are tracks to park on. Among the birds seen were Red-legged Partridge, Lapwings, Wood Pigeons, Pheasant, waders [couldn't give a positive I.D. but there was either L.R.Plover or L.Plover] and maybe Redshanks, too far away and the light was going.

All in all had a good afternoons birding, it wasn't cold by any means, the sun made sure of that.

Regards Intellectual.

Some good birds seen there, intellectual. I wouldnt mind seeing a Smew. Not seen one for a good while now. Red-Legged Partridge are a very pretty bird too.

Thanks for sharing your day....... :t:

tracker

Thanks, intellectual.

I've recently discovered N. Killingholme myself, and visit Far Ings... well not as often as I should!

Worlaby Carr is new for me though!

Keep posting these as N. Lincs is my birding home from home!

Interesting report Intellectual. Sounds like you covered a fair bit of ground, always interested in hearing what is going on in the north of our fair County. Look forward to your further reports from time to time

Thanks Intellectual

Regarding the North Lincs thread, today I've been for the first time to my local reserve - Epworth Turbary - now I'm am a member of the Lincs Wildlife Trust.

I had a steady wander round, and had a great time. Went in the hide nearest the entrance, but saw nothing, so started my walkabout. I have never seen or heard so many Blue Tits, even beating Blacktoft of a couple of weeks ago. Nice though. Plenty of Great Tits around too. I came across three Long Tailed Tits, having a good sight of them slowly working their way acorss my field of view. But, just before this, I caught my first sight of a Green Woodpecker. Unfortunately it was not long enough for me to get my bins in it, just enough for a positive ID.

Further round, I stumbled on what to me was a first, but consulting the book back home, I only ended up more confused. I saw what I firmly beleived to be a Goldcrest, but kept my mind open thinking that it could also be a Firecrest. On checking the book (AA Field Guide to Birds of Britain and Europe) I also find it could be a Yellow-Browed Warbler. Yes I know it says it is rare, but the piccies look more like the bird I saw. The main point of observation being the yellow line through its eye, plus, it was more of a darker olive colour than the other two mentioned. Any takers of helping?

The rest of the walk was good, plenty of Blackbirds, Woodies, B&G Tits, and then four more LT Tits. Great. But the proverbial icing were the Woodpeckers. I had heard them as I started the homeward leg to the car, but knew they were deep in the wood. As I stopped to watch the LT Tits, I heard tapping again, but this time in front of me. Sods Law, it was on the opposite side of the tree to where I was stood. This is a problem, as having walking difficulties it's not easy to SAS stealthily sneak about! To keep it short, one bird was seemingly "buzzed" by another, but the "buzzer" flew on, with the other now moving position but staying put. Yes, you guessed it, now in my line of sight! Wonderful. My first Great Spotted Woodpecker!

End of two hour walk summary - a brilliant afternoon out for me, and when I get a hide clamp, I will be more than looking forward to resting my legs in one of the two hides! Next up - the Haxey Reserve.

Hope this has contributed to the North Lincs thread.

:t:

Hi Edrick,

Pleased you had an enjoyable day at Epworth T. Went there Nov' 2002, it was a poor do, we saw a male Kestrel, a few Teal and Mallard plus the usual. We haven't been since. Neither been to Haxey Turbary.

As a starter, maybe the bird you saw could have been a Chiffchaff, a similar sort of bird.

Was lucky enough to see a Yellow-browed Warbler at Gibralter Point in Nov' 2002, oddly enough it was the day before we went to Epworth T.

Have you visited Messingham Sand Quarries reserve yet? If not put it at the top of your list to visit.
Yes you have and I have helped to put Lincolnshire on the map. Very few posts are in the Lincs section.

Intellectual.

Hi Intellectual

Thanks for the support. Since posting last I have consulted my other "good birding book", the Collins Birds of Britain and Europe - the one with photo's in. I reckon from the info provided including its song, it's probably a Goldcrest. I have never knowingly seen a Chiffchaff either so I suppose I can't lose, but it would be nice to get an ID!

I have not been to Messingham Sands, just Blacktoft twice and ET once. Does that mean my lifers list now stands at two?

I would enjoy doing the usual local biggies - Potteric Car, Messingham, Far Ings, Fairburn, Old Moor, but would also like Crowle Moor and Haxey etc. I have heard that the railway reserve in Haxey is shut. If true it's a pity as many people remarked on the very rich wildlife it contained. I look forward to widening my circle of Lincs places (well, the north end at least), and as many of the LWT & RSPB reserves as I can get to. My preference is woodland/garden type birds, not minding waders if they are inland, but I am not too fussed at gulls & sea birds. My forays do depend on a good day weather wise, so I look more towards summer. Staying local seems to be best for now as I can get to know the area that bit better, species wise & layout.

Is summer birding easier or harder? Do more leaves make it harder to spot birds, or if moving around more collecting food, nesting, fledglings etc, does it make movement and spotting easier?

Regards,

Hi Edrick...

Just a little pointer on your Chiffchaff/Goldcrest etc...

It's not easy, I know, when there is nothing else to go on... but Goldcrest is the smallest bird you are likely to see in the UK, noticeably smaller than Chiffchaffs and other "normal" wablers.

However, based upon you description - your sighting sounds much more likely to be a Firecrest (much less common but my only sighting was also a North Lincs bird).

I have never seen a Yellow-browed in the flesh, but I agree from pictures, it looks strkingly similar to Firecrest in many ways. I don't have a book with me, so I don't know how big they are, but I've had a quick Google and read they are "somewhat smaller" than Chiffchaff.

So what am I trying to say?

Balance of probability on commonality... Goldcrest then Firecrest then Yellow-browed Warbler.

But from description, Firecrest followed by YBW...

But, maybe just maybe...?

Well see following link...

http://www.eurobirding.co.uk/yellow_browed_warbler.HTM

Oh by the way... summer I think is generally quieter, but harder...???

Leaves do make it difficult to see woodland birds, but they often shout at you, especially early in the day.

Hi Birdman

Right. I have finally come to a definate conclusion. Probably. Possibly. Maybe.

Reading very carefully through the descriptions in the guides, on the internet etc, and paying close attention to size, colour, posture, voice and activity, I reckon it was a female Firecrest. I am more certain of this the more I read about it.

Regards

Well, if that's what it was, that's still an excellent bird.
Many congratulations!

:t: :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back