• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fairburn Ings RSPB (1 Viewer)

intellectual

England
Hello all,

Called at Fairburn Ings today and had another enjoyable day's birding.
One word of warning, at the moment the Public Footpath you go on to reach Lindyke hide is treacherous to say the least. With all the rain etc it has made the path very!! muddy. Stout and waterproof footwear is advisable. Luckily I had snow boots on, they were caked in mud, BIG TIME.

Arrived at 12:30, had a bite to eat and then started the trek to Lindyke, Mount Everest would be a doddle compared to this.

Actual birding started at 12:50. I scanned the flashes to the left and plenty of birds were about. Met a fellow birder who told me a wintering Chiffchaff could be seen if lucky in the hedges.

Total species seen during my visit were 42. Length of time there three and a half hours. It was a pleasant day with the Sun shining.

Species are as follows:

Blackbird's
C.Buzzard - 1
Chaffinches
Coot - 111
Cormorant - 17
C.Crow
Tufted Duck
Dunnock
Gadwall - 17
Goldcrest - 6
Goldeneye - 7
Canada Geese - 175
Greylag " - 2
Great-crested Grebe - 1
Little Grebe - 1
Greenfinches
Black-headed Gulls
Grey heron - 1
Jackdaw - 50+
Kestrel
Magpie
Mallard - 51
Moorhen
Pheasant
Pochard - 6
Robin
Rook
Shelduck
Shoveler - 26
Smew - 1 [female]
Mute Swan - 46 [5 immatures]
Teal - 31
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Coal Tit
Willow Tit - 2
Wigeon - 74
Wood Pigeon
Wren
House Sparrows
Tree "
Plus one Grey Squirrel and two Hares.

The total today was one short of my record for a days birding.

I'm sure if I'd had a full days birding here, that record would have been broken.

I'm more interested in having a good day out than breaking records.

Regards

Intellectual

Ah - The Lindyke mud!! - that takes me back. It's been like that since at least 1975, whenever it rains the place turns into a part of the Somme. I often try and approach from the canal end whenever I'm back up that way. It is (slightly) less muddy, and you can check out Hickson's flashes on the way.

Glad you have a good time - despite the conditions, and great to see that the place can still pull in some good birds. It is especially heartening to see you saw a C Buzzard. That would have been a major bird a few years ago, but I hear that they have moved into the Ledsham estate area - great news!

Darrell

Darrell Clegg said:
Ah - The Lindyke mud!! - that takes me back. It's been like that since at least 1975, whenever it rains the place turns into a part of the Somme. I often try and approach from the canal end whenever I'm back up that way. It is (slightly) less muddy, and you can check out Hickson's flashes on the way.

Glad you have a good time - despite the conditions, and great to see that the place can still pull in some good birds. It is especially heartening to see you saw a C Buzzard. That would have been a major bird a few years ago, but I hear that they have moved into the Ledsham estate area - great news!

Darrell

Hi Darrell,

Regarding the C.Buzzard, according to the sightings board up to seven can be seen.

Thanks for comments.

Intellectual

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back