• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ficedula - Flycatcher, Eastern Romania (1 Viewer)

lou salomon

the birdonist
hi

https://rombird.ro/ro/obd/16150/alta-specie

any ficedula-fans out there? i traditionally have difficulties with these and considering the fact that recently there have been quite some records of semicollared fly in romania (with at 3 probable breeding locations in the last few years) i'd put this out here for discussion. photographed 3 days ago by cornel cotorgea in dobrogea (eastern romania, 15 km from black sea coast).

cheers

Probably no the most classic Pied as it has quite a large white front patch for instance, but I don't see anything really suggestive of Semi-collared flycatcher Lou. Beside, the fact that it is a grey-brown morph male is pretty diagnostic for Pied, AFAIK (happy to be proven wrong on that last point though).

Certainly an "unusual" male Pied with such an extensive fore-crown patch, pale rump, "semi-collar" and although an insignificant Greater Covert bar...clearly showing a much broader possibility?

Mmmmm.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back